• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

amfonelic acid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember C6H6 specifically mentioning this compound about a year ago.

Other than that ive never heard any mention of it.

BilZ0r said:
It just looks like another research grade dopamine reuptake inhibitor

actually, the reason i was asking is cuz i've heard limited reports of ppl using it recreationally....

Reuptake inhibitor, almost zero peripheral effects, very euphoric effect; basically if it wasn't such a complex synthesis this would def be a serious drug of abuse (pretty much in the same group as fencamfamine in terms of effects etc).

It's one of those compounds, along with fencamfamine, that if I had access to I'd never even consider crude drugs like amphetamines again!

The structure reminds me very, very much of gyrase inhibitors such as enoxycin or ciproflixacin. I am pretty sure amfonelic acid was originally synthesized as an antibiotic compound.
-weird!

its the benzyl analogue of nalidixic acid and synthed the same way. part of a huge family of napthoquinones of which cipro is just one, I think they all inhibit bacterial topioisomerase. there are concerns regarding carcinogenicity of some and photosensitisation and other side effect for others, apparently many of these antibiotics cause CNS disturbances in some cases though this is probably through a different mechanism to DA reuptake inhibition.
-v

^ Is it a similar mechanism in play with chlorethromycin? It's just on the list of side effects, when it was prescribed for my wife, was 'psychotic episodes possibly leading to hospitalization'! It was also fairly high up in the list indicating that it wasn't a really rare side effect.

I think the cns side effects of the napthoquinones are something to do with their affinity for GABA receptors. they are also quite good chelators, so could interfere with ion concentrations.
I would be suprised if the clorethromycin, which i assume is some chloro derivative of the macrolide anti biotic erythromycin causes side effects through the same mechanism.
v

What's is the approximate dosage, how long does it last, hard crash, etc?

I had a chance to try it. It's a very nice stimulant at 25mg orally. Mentally clean and no body effect. Comes on quickly and doesn't last too long, maybe 4 - 6 hours. Excellent!

Last edited:
^ever smelled the R subunit of phenylalanine, one of the 20 naturally occurring amino acids?

Mmmm, sounds fantastic. Too bad the structure isn't exactly the frendliest.

difficult structures

that's what pharmaceutical companies are for

There's a related compound, Foxolinic Acid, which is about 4 times as potent as Amfonelic acid, and I've heard that some people are working on bringning that out on the market. That will be the end of MDPV i guess...

Helios: The benzyl of Amfonelic acid is replaced with a phenoxy group.
(Can't reply to PM until I'm a Bluelighter :( )

Dangerous? Toxic? Don't get into world poltics.

p.s. Don't try to tell this to the Europeans:)

Last edited:
Dr.Heckyll said:
There's a related compound, Foxolinic Acid, which is about 4 times as potent as Amfonelic acid, and I've heard that some people are working on bringning that out on the market. That will be the end of MDPV i guess...

the compound you name foxolinic acid, 1-ethyl-1,4-dihydro-7-phenoxy-1,8 napthyridine-3-carboxylic acid is approximately 10 less potent than the 7 benzyl cpd. Source: sterling drug company.

foxolinic acid as a name has echoes of oxolinic acid a very useful methylenedioxy containing antibiotic. Can we not use potentially confusing nomenclature?

As afa or one of its analogs have great potential as treatment in dementia and other neurodegenerative disease, I for one would be pissed if it appeared on the rc market
V

Status
Not open for further replies.