Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

[news] Tragic death of league legend's son

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
Tragic death of league legend's son
By Brad Walter and Justin Norrie
April 19, 2006

"It's a terrible thing" … Warren Ryan on the death of his son, Matthew.
Photo: Ruth Hartmann

WHILE Warren Ryan was commentating on Saturday night's NRL game at Brookvale Oval, his 24-year-old son, Matthew, lay in intensive care in St Vincent's Hospital.

It was how the former premiership winning coach felt he could cope best with such a devastating blow.

The next day Matthew died, robbing Ryan and his wife, Pam, of their only child. "I don't want to go into the details," Ryan said yesterday. "He passed away on Sunday, and that's all I want to say.

"It's terrible. We loved him very dearly and we will miss him terribly. It's a terrible thing. I'm so sad, and my wife is so sad about it. There's nothing else we can say. We're just so shattered about it. It's a tragedy."

Although the coroner is expected to say the eastern suburbs real estate agent and former Waverley College student died of heart failure, police are still investigating the matter. A spokesman for St Vincent's Hospital said last night that a 24-year-old man had been admitted on, or about, Wednesday night following an overdose of the party drug, gamma hydroxybutyrate, which is also known as GBH.

The spokesman said a decision was made to switch off the man's life support machine on Sunday when it was established that he had suffered irreparable brain damage.

The Herald understands the man had been at a party at an inner-city flat with friends when he took the drug. It is believed the friends left him without realising he had overdosed.

By the time paramedics came he had suffered heart failure.

After taking Sunday off, Ryan was back at work on Monday. "I've shed that many tears with my wife over it and you just can't go on looking at four walls," he said of his decision to commentate on Monday's NRL game. "You just can't sit there and grieve all the time; you've got to try and do something to distract you. That's all there was to it."

The NRL's chief, David Gallop, said: "It's a tragedy. Our thoughts are with Warren and his wife."

From the SMH

bah.... idiocy is responsible in 90% of drug overdose cases.

Shame on his friends for leaving him alone on drugs.

Another death this weekend, shit wtf.

G isn't that bad - its idiots that take it who have no idea, and arn't sensible.

zaineaol.nu said:
bah.... idiocy is responsible in 90% of drug overdose cases.

Shame on his friends for leaving him alone on drugs.

Another death this weekend, shit wtf.

G isn't that bad - its idiots that take it who have no idea, and arn't sensible.

Those are my thoughts. I hear from so many people that G is just terrible shit, but just how bad is it really?? I've never done it but am curious to see what it's like but all I ever get from anyone I talk to about it is, "Man you're a dickhead if you go near the stuff, it's just so easy to overdose on".

While that may be true if you were responsible wouldn't there be certain precautions you could take???

It's such a tragedy. If this guy and his friends had have respected the drug a little more he would still be alive.

i used to use g week in week out - i've never overdosed - just because i was cautious..

people act like they od by accident, this is rarely the case - i've witnessed 101 blow outs - and they do it on purpose.

G is - comparitively - harder to OD on by dose than most other drugs - with an overdose occuring somwhere around about 4grams of GHB (althought the active dose is considerably higher tham most drugs ;) ) the difference is a short one - but i've always stuck to the right dose for me every 2 hours - and i've just waited til i built up a tollerance to try anything higher than the standard 2ml per 2 hours/2 and a half. Did me fine

I gradually worked up to about 3ml (1,4-b - equivalent to 3g of GHB - depending on diulution) which i never blew out on either.
It all boils down to morons getting their hands of chemicals that they thinik they know about coz something their friend told them - they rarely take time to study up - thus causing these accidents - with drugs like G i can see why zero tollerance from most parties is put in place - but in other places any laws you'd use for taking such a chemical are ignored because 99% of overdoses arn't fatal. a hell of alot dont even get admitted to hospital.

In general terms - your also unlikely to die from g alone until around 10g (or 10ml of 1,4-b) in your body to become poisoned. The other problems at lower doses include: depressed breathing, swallowing of tongue... stuff like that.

People need to excercise caution - imo g is a great drug if not put into the hands of idiots.

If anyone was listening to Hack on JJJ yesterday at 5.30pm, they had a report from St Vincent's ER room on Saturday night, the guy mentioned there was a young man upstairs fighting for his life after taking G... was probably Matthew.

A doctor who was interviewed was actually talking about he prevelance of people taking 1,4b alone now and the dangers that came along with it.

Tragic

Only one way to look at it really, the drug kills. Stay away from that shit if you value your life.

all over the news 2nite... football star dies from "gbh" overdose

maybe should they should learn the slang before getting on the the news. ITS GHB !

Sad about the death of another life.
Gbl/GHB/1,4b may be pretty dose-sensitive, but it most certainly isn't shit. It's just through irresponsible behaviour that someone ends up overdosing.
I have seen idiotic friends down 10 mls of the substance and then wonder why the hell they lost consciousness and smashed their heads on the bathroom floor on their way down.

With the right knowledge and appropriate measuring devices, Gamma is quite harmless. When I used to dose, I would never exceed the 3 ml mark. I couldn't really see any need to go any higher than that. The only problem is, alot of the time I would dose around the clock quite often because I wouldn't want the high to subside.

When the drug was legal and quality controlled, I doubt there would have been any more fatal incidences than what there are now.

Although I don't use G often at all, as in perhaps 1 every few years, I have had some experience with it. Im using 'G' as a blanket term to cover the various analogues by the way. From my experience and observations I would argue that it can be a dangerous drug due to the dose response curve and the varying levels of concentration.
Sadly this incident could have been avoided if people had been around him and aware of what drug he had taken. A large percentage of fatalities related with 'G' could be avoided if medical attention was found as soon as signs of an OD are visible.

zaineaol, he had a point regarding your strategy of taking the moral 'high ground' when it could be argued that you have shown similar disregard in the past.
Seriously though, how do you end up getting people so riled up and ready to argue with you. Im constantly amazed by your abilities in that department, right on mate....

Thread Cleaned.

Pull your head in both of you and show some respect. Keep it off the board or your both banned.

This issue arising folks is that the people who are overdosing on G are:

1) Predominantly from the suburbs
2) Very poorly educated - many think it is liquid ecstasy
3) Are not the sort of people who read bluelight, erowid or access quality drug and alcohol information

I think even the most avid G users on this forum would agree that the job of teaching new, uneducated users how to "properly" use G would be complex and difficult. This is why we in the drug and alcohol community have taken a "G is Dangerous" line. This is not about saying that regular G users are fooling themselves (although this is my personal opinion) it is about stopping new, uneducated users doing something stupid.

I should also point out to those who champion G that all we need is a few more high profile deaths and the govenment will go crazy on this issue. Then it will be tough for everyone.

The people who have been Overdosing on G ARE NOT users who have made a mistake. The are people who generally think they are taking something else and/or have NO idea of thr risks and rules associated with G - and let's be honest, unless you know about forums like this, where are you going to get that info?

Cheers,

Buck