• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

EASE - Now illegal

Aware

Bluelighter
EASE was being tested as a legal alternative to mdma in New Zealand. What was inside ease was under warps, untill now, where it is aparently methylone.

Turns out quite a few people have been doing methylone in NZ then.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=000B20F6-578B-1436-8A8D83027AF1010F

----

Ecstasy copycat sales stopped

By Anne Beston

Sales of party pills that mimic the effects of the drug Ecstasy were suspended yesterday after tests showed the pills were almost certainly illegal.

But producers of a television show say it wasn't until they commissioned independent testing of the drug that any action was taken.

The party pills with the "Ease" brand have been sold since last year under the guise of so-called "clinical trials" run by a company called Stargate International.

After signing up for the trials, prospective buyers watch a "safety video" and are told their reaction to the drug would be part of further research.

Yesterday, Associate Health Minister Jim Anderton said advice from the chair of the Expert Advisory Committee on Drugs, Dr Ashley Bloomfield, showed Ease contained a substance called called methylone, an "analogue" - similar to - cathinone, which is a Class B amphetamine controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

"On this basis, the so-called clinical trial being conducted via the Stargate website might well be a breach of the Misuse of Drugs Act, and accordingly the police have been informed," Mr Anderton said.

Stargate International's Matt Bowden then immediately suspended sales of the drug.

But producers of the Great Southern Television-produced consumer show, the Truth Files, getting its first airing on TV2 this season, said Mr Anderton only acted after it commissioned tests on Ease by the Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR).

"[Mr Anderton] would not have made this statement without us going to him with the information from ESR," said executive producer Rachel Gardner.

Mr Bowden said Government agencies, including the Ministry of Health, had approved importation.

"We checked the legality of this compound with the Ministry of Health and we received written consent to import it," he said.

But he stopped the "non-therapeutic clinical trial" of Ease now that tests showed it might be illegal.

Mr Bowden styles his company as trying to reduce drug-related harm "through the development of safer, legal alternatives" to drugs such as Ecstasy or methamphetamine.

Mr Anderton said evidence about the drug was presented by the ESR after it tested several products containing methylone, and scientists were of the view it was subject to the Misuse of Drugs Act.

He could not be reached for comment on whether the claims by the television show, that they had discovered Ease might contain an illegal substance, were correct.

Party pills are generally cheap, legal stimulants containing low-risk substances such as benzylpiperazine which energise users and give a sense of euphoria.

1 more down, who knows how many to go..

it seems that as long as a drug is legal and fun that it will eventually be "proven" as something that should be illegal.

does anyone see the analogue act as anything other than an illogical way to prove something is bad for you?

Another version of the story.

7 April 2006

EASE trial terminated after conflicting advice.

Stargate International today announced its decision to terminate a non-therapeutic clinical trial after receiving conflicting opinions on the legality of one of the compounds in the ecstasy alternative "EASE".

Stargate International is an organisation committed to the reduction of drug-related harm through the development of safer, legal alternatives.

Stargate Founder Matt Bowden said the trial had been conducted based on assurances from Government agencies that the substance was legal. He said with a new opinion coming to light the decision was made yesterday to immediately suspend the trial until the situation was clarified.

"There is a difference of opinion between the initial advice we received from the government and this new alternative interpretation of the law. Rather than slug this out with the government we have taken the proactive and responsible step of suspending the trial immediately.

"We apologise to all trial participants for any inconvenience caused, we are doing something new in society and it does take time to get these things right."

Mr Bowden confirmed a number of steps were taken to check that the product was legal, including informing the Ministry of Health and obtaining written consent that the product was not an analogue of a controlled drug and able to be imported into New Zealand.

The non therapeutic clinical trial was being carried out as part of a search for safer alternatives to ecstasy. The trial was raised with the Ministry of Health and the Expert Advisory Committee on Drugs 6 months ago and no objections were raised.

“This was a well conducted and controlled trial that was a part of our drive to minimize the harm caused by illegal drugs. Despite the suspension of this trial we will continue our efforts down this path because this approach saves lives,” said Mr. Bowden.

“At all times Stargate has acted in the belief we were complying with the law.

“At all times we went to great lengths to inform Government agencies of our plans. We checked the legality of this compound with the Ministry of Health and we received written consent to import it.

“While we are very surprised to now receive contradictory advice, this stage of the trial was near an end. We will continue to co-operate fully with the Government and its agencies on this matter.”

Matt Bowden

* MattPsy cries...
Fuck it was looking promising.

Yet another step backward, from a politician's attempt to look like Mr. Hard-Line man, moral crusader! Fucking hell >< .

Interesting to find out at last what was in it. Just to clarify, is methylone specifically listed as a controlled drug in NZ or does it fall under some analogue legislation?

So the people tricked into breaking the law (the people who brought from stargate) are they going to sue? ... In the USA they would but I guess NZ is a bit backward

I often say that if alcohol was discovered today instead of thousands of years ago, there is no way in hell it would be legal.

Gldm said:
I often say that if alcohol was discovered today instead of thousands of years ago, there is no way in hell it would be legal.

VERY true statement

Actually, as far as my reading of New Zealand law goes, methylone is not an analogue, as it is not an isomer, ether or ester: methcathinone is specifically covered (in clause 1), and then the analogue schedual reads:

2.The isomers of the substances mentioned in [clause 1 of] this Part of this Schedule whenever the existence of such isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation.

3.The esters and ethers of the substances mentioned in [clause 1 of] this Part of this Schedule and the esters and ethers of the isomers mentioned in clause 2 of this Part of this Schedule whenever the existence of such esters or ethers is possible.

4.The salts of the substances mentioned in [clause 1 of] this Part of this Schedule and the salts of the isomers, esters, and ethers mentioned in clause 2 or clause 3 of this Part of this Schedule.

Furthermore, it is not covered under the amphetamine analogue section either (because of the ketone):

AMPHETAMINE ANALOGUES, in which the 1-amino-2-phenylethane nucleus carries any of the following radicals, either alone or in combination:

(a)1 or 2 alkyl radicals, each with up to 6 carbon atoms, attached to the nitrogen atom:

(b)1 or 2 methyl radicals, or an ethyl radical, attached to the carbon atom adjacent to the nitrogen atom:

(c)A hydroxy radical, attached to the carbon atom adjacent to the benzene ring:

(d)Any combination of up to 5 alkyl radicals and/or alkoxy radicals and/or alkylamino radicals (each with up to 6 carbon atoms, including cyclic radicals) and/or halogen radicals and/or nitro radicals and/or amino radicals, attached to the benzene ring.

See: the NZ misuse of drugs act 1975, and amendments thereof.

giantsquid said:
So the people tricked into breaking the law (the people who brought from stargate) are they going to sue? ... In the USA they would but I guess NZ is a bit backward

Why the hell would they sue? Stargate was 'tricked' themselves it seems. Besides, all of the people who got to test it, probably still have some more around for later use. What do they care, they got to try methylone. Good luck finding that in nz without importing it.

@ BiLz0r, I really don't understand chemisty or law to well, but from what I gather, it contains cathinone which is straight out banned, no matter what is added on to it? Really just stabbing in the dark here.

BilZ0r said:
Actually, as far as my reading of New Zealand law goes, methylone is not an analogue, as it is not an isomer, ether or ester: methcathinone is specifically covered (in clause 1), and then the analogue schedual reads:

Furthermore, it is not covered under the amphetamine analogue section either (because of the ketone):

See: the NZ misuse of drugs act 1975, and amendments thereof.

Ok...the interpretation which has been given to me goes as follows:
(this is a quote from mattpsy off another forum)

3 position -> O -> Me -> O -> 4 position
On the benzene ring.
It's a fancy arrangement of methoxy groups, kinda. A methoxy is a alkoxy.

Making it covered under the analogue laws...how does the presence of a ketone effect this interpretation?

Stargate was 'tricked' themselves it seems.

What makes you say that? I could be wrong of course, but it seems to me the reason why they studiously avoided revealing what the active ingredient was is because they knew it was a dodgy legal area and also they didn't want anyone else cashing in on what they hoped would be a big money spinner.

I'ts funny, the kiwi drug scene seems to idolise this guy...

He was sittin on top of what could have made him millions of dollars, and probably already has.

Who pays to be a lab rat??

lol

Gldm said:
It certainly wouldn't be in America, or probably any other "western" country. If you do a bit of searching online, you'll find all the thought experiment-type trials that show that alcohol and nicotine don't come within lightyears of being acceptable by FDA standards in America. I'm quite sure they don't meet the criteria of even the more lax European drug auditing system.

I just find it both funny and disturbing that any chemical that makes people feel good is automatically deemed to be a scourge on society. By the logic behind banning methylone, which from what I can tell is a fairly benign drug, every antidepressant should also be banned, as should every ADHD med...

Skyline_GTR said:
What makes you say that? I could be wrong of course, but it seems to me the reason why they studiously avoided revealing what the active ingredient was is because they knew it was a dodgy legal area and also they didn't want anyone else cashing in on what they hoped would be a big money spinner.

From the outside, that looks like the case, but from talking with bowden him self via forums, and an employee of his, that is not the reason he did it.

Look at bzp, he let it be known what it was, so a bunch of tards cashed in on it, and started making party pills with 10 times the top recomended dose, started selling it in dairys, and all sorts of stupid stuff.

All the profits from EASE were supposed to go into more research on the drug, and the rest would be put into other organisations such as angelcare, which basicaly attends events, does pill testing, or gives medical attention if someone passes out etc.

Sure, that could all be one big story, but for a guy who lost someone close over drugs, and then starting this stuff, to me, his intentions don't seem all that dark.

Aware said:
From the outside, that looks like the case, but from talking with bowden him self via forums, and an employee of his, that is not the reason he did it.

Look at bzp, he let it be known what it was, so a bunch of tards cashed in on it, and started making party pills with 10 times the top recomended dose, started selling it in dairys, and all sorts of stupid stuff.

All the profits from EASE were supposed to go into more research on the drug, and the rest would be put into other organisations such as angelcare, which basicaly attends events, does pill testing, or gives medical attention if someone passes out etc.

Sure, that could all be one big story, but for a guy who lost someone close over drugs, and then starting this stuff, to me, his intentions don't seem all that dark.

Yeah, I once had a friend OD on many painkillers and antidepressant. Im talking like 10 hydrocodones, 8 methadone 10's, and a fifth of jim beam, and some of that other.

All we need safe buzz's, and shit like this wont happen. Oh, he didnt' die, we all passed out or we thought, went upstair's in the morning and he was moaning and shit, we woke up he had black shit, looked like phlem allover the couch, i called the popo's and the came to the house, but didn't search or nothin, I had to tell the medics what i thought he mighta done??? Phu i said what was uptop and they flipped, he was in a comma for 3 day's after they pumped his stomach. He's cool know, but he wont try this again.

Whats the dosage of this Ease??? Do they have like 10s or 20's or 40's???