View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

10 Years for 24 hits

abrad84

Bluelighter
Teen admits dealing LSD
April 6, 2006 - njherald.com

NEWTON — A Vernon teenager will face 10 years in state prison next month after pleading guilty Monday to dealing a large amount of the hallucinogen LSD to an undercover narcotics officer last year.

Anthony Versace, 19, could have faced as much as 20 years in prison on the distribution offense, which involved more than 100 milligrams of LSD and was committed in a school zone. A diminutive youth who wore glasses and walked with the aid of crutches, Versace at first seemed ready to reject the state's plea offer, which would bring the case before a grand jury.

But Assistant Prosecutor Tom Reed, speaking on the record in court, convinced the youth that the offer — 10 years in custody with three years of parole ineligibility — was at the low extreme, and the sentence if he was indicted and found guilty at trial would likely be quite a bit higher.

"This is the best offer he's ever going to get," Reed said, citing mandatory guidelines that govern that type of drug case.

After taking more time to speak with his lawyer and his mother, Versace decided to accept the plea deal.

While waiting at the defense table for the judge to enter the courtroom, the defendant could be heard saying to his lawyer, "So robbing somebody or attempted murder, that's just as bad as dealing some drugs?"

While entering the plea, Versace admitted to an Oct. 21 drug transaction between himself and an informer for the Sussex County Narcotics Task Force.

"You sold him 30 hits of blotter acid, right?" Reed asked him.

"It was 24 hits cut into 30 hits," the defendant replied.

"Blotter acid" is shorthand for LSD, a clear liquid, embedded in blotter paper. In New Jersey, the paper is counted when determining the weight, Reed said.

Versace and a co-defendant, 20-year-old Randall Bucsko, also of Vernon, were arrested on first-degree acid-dealing charges in November. Bucsko pleaded guilty last month, also in exchange for a 10-year sentence.

Judge Thomas Critchley Jr. set Versace's sentencing for May 19.

I still don't understand how LSD is so misunderstood... Does the government really think their propaganda is going to work in the long run? They keep putting people away in jail, who are dealing something that can potentially be used safely. But instead they ruin some young kids lives, which I agree, probably aren't living the best of lives since they're dealing drugs, but they're not on the street. This shit pisses me off.

Deathrow558 said:
That's insane and i thank my lucky stars i don't live there.

I don't know what you mean by that. Most governments are very strict when it comes to LSD.

Well where live you would probably get a fine a suspended sentence for this. You definetely wouldn't get ten fucking years anyway.

......hes just a kid, obviously still learning wats right and wrong really
ten years seems a little harsh to me, but over here LSD is a class A drug, ie. its one of 'the most serious' - fucked as it is theyd probly do the same thing here

Ten years?! for LSD?! Over here you'd get a warning or fine!

Truely fucked up...10 years...

Who was it that said something along the lines of: "The punishment for drug offences should be no worse than the harm caused by the drug itself"?

EDIT: Has the OP got a link to the original story please? :)

PEDOPHILES GET LESS JAIL TIME!!!!! RAPISTS GET LESS JAIL TIME!!!!! MURDERERS GET LESS JAIL TIME!!!!! And now they've destroyed this kid's life. :X

It's so sick. It's not dirty, bathtub-made methamphetamine. It's spiritual, mind-expanding LSD, for christ's sake. How one could put it on the same, or even lower level than some of the dirtiest, ego-fueling drugs out there is way beyond me. What a waste. Sometimes I can't believe our society is so backwards.

i think prohibition of lsd is the worst of all illicit drugs. cannabis is popuar yeah, but most people who make lsd do it because they are devoted to keeping it in circulation.

a lot of dealers could give a fuck if it is too risky to sell meth, as long as they can appease their market with something else. lsd is the most reputable hallucinogenic and it's NEVER going to go away. who is the DEA kidding on this one? the most ridiculous minimums in the world wouldn't keep this out of people's hands.

Fuck getting 10 years for ANY drug offense, unless it also involves violence towards someone else. Jesus christ. What a fucking waste of a young person's potential. A fucking rapist gets 5-7 years, for ruining a woman's life by fucking her up in the head forever. A murderer who did not commit an especially heinous murder can get about the same sentence as some kid who sold a few hits of a mind-expanding chemical to a willing buyer, with no violence or depravity attached. The justice system here is so fucked up when it comes to drugs that it absolutely sickens me...

You guys that live here in the US, its your responsibility to KNOW THE LAWS because this CAN and WILL happen to you.

your lawyer will NOT get your 19 year old ass out of selling 30 hits to a narc.

dilated_pupils said:
I don't know what you mean by that. Most governments are very strict when it comes to LSD.

Nowhere near as strict as that.