• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Foods that make you fart

LoveAlways

Bluelighter
I feel like I always have gas throughout the day. It annoying and embarrassing if I go out in public or have to go to work.

The only foods I've noticed that give me gas are:

-beans (obviously) I don't eat them anymore unless they are in a soup that sounds good, but even then I try to avoid them-I still get gas though

-milk. I love milk. I cannot stop drinking it, although I do only have some for breakfast with cereal when I know I wont be going out for a while, or a glass before I go to bed that way only my boyfriend has to endure the smelliness!

-broccoli. This is the most difficult to avoid during work. I eat meals with vegetables and broccoli is good for you so I feel bad if I leave just the broccoli on the plate.

Has anyone ever tried stuff like beano before? Does it really work and how often do you have to take it. Is it like a daily regiment or just before you eat something "gassy"?

What other foods are know fart makers?

Last year, I had a couple month long bout of Irritable Bowel Syndrome(I think), and taking digestive enzymes, papaya enzyme, and enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules helped immensely. Now my digestion is pretty good, and I usually don't have a problem with flatulence.

I eat a lot, and that causes me to have some serious wind sometimes.

The foods that make me get gas is especially onion, eggs, tuna and garlic.

LoveAlways: Try to make sure and chew the food properly, and dont eat to
much or to fast. Ginger, fennel, peppermint and chamomile are good herbal remedies for gas, and pro-biotics and some fiber (not too much though)
might help.

LoveAlways said:
-milk. I love milk. I cannot stop drinking it, although I do only have some for breakfast with cereal when I know I wont be going out for a while, or a glass before I go to bed that way only my boyfriend has to endure the smelliness!

Youre probably lactose intolerant then. Milk causing gas and digestive problems is a symptom of lactose intolerance.

without doubt the most fart inducing food in the world is jerusalem artichokes, they're fartfuckingtastic.

Deathrow558 said:
Do you drink alot of coffee?
No. Besides the fact that I hate it, it makes me fart!

Try to make sure and chew the food properly, and dont eat to
much or to fast
This helps. I noticed that I do eat pretty fast, and am probably not chewing as much as I should. Thanks

Lentils always give me gas; I've tried charcoal biscuits and peppermint oil capsules but to be honest, haven't found either that effective; oh well, will have to keep the Indian curries as a rare treat...

I suffer from IBS on and off, I've found avoiding any dairy generally helps.

I've switched to soy milk and lactose free yohgurt, alas it's difficult to avoid cheese as I like it so much.

LoveAlways: If you find some solutions, be sure to post them, I feel your pain.

I've read some interesting things on foods that make you toot.

Most common, dairy is the culprit. Any race other than caucasian are more than not prone to have some sort of intolerance to it. The intolerance usually is marked by gaseous buildup and bloating.

Other than dairy, beans somewhat cause it, and some dark greens-- especially brussel sprouts. It's really subjective though, so the only way you can find out is to test yourself like a lab rat.

Also- there are some herbs and spices that help negate farts. Ginger and garlic are well known in this area.

When I was reading this book on Trophology (the science of food combination) it was very very interesting.....sometimes when we mix certain foods together they can cause stomach upset and more flatulence than usual i.e. starches + dairy, protein+ acid fruits, etc.
I'll post more here later on.

Ive never noticed any gas problems from food. I eat REALLY healthy and Im a vegetarian...broccoli and beans are stuff I eat a lot, I think my body is used to it. I have really good digestion though, I take probiotics and enzymes and stuff with my meals. Maybe try that, and try the Beano stuff too. Ive known some people who use that.

^^^probiotics and enzymes are very good especially when taken with a huge meal, I take pancreatin when I eat lots of protein, beans, etc and it has helped with my digestion quite a bit.

Could be the aspartame or the phenylalanine in some artificially sweetened foods that also make you fart... not sure exactly if it is either of those two chemicals but it's in many processed foods.

They do warn on some of those food labels that "excess consumption may have a laxative effect" and if I do find myself eating a bit too much, my tummy does get gassy and bloated... and as a result... you feel you just gotta let it rip... :p

I think my biggest downfall is dairy and coffee...

Beans

Cabbage

Oranges, due to vitamin C content. Also makes me destroy the toilet bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
cacoa, almond butter (probably because I eat excessive amounts daily in a half-assed attempt to gain weight)

the cacao extract i have has me farting until the next afternoon relentlessly!