Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pseudoephedrine Scheduling Changes

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Someone brought this to my attention, its already happened but not sure if this information has been posted here before or not.

During a meeting in 2005 the National Drugs and Poisons Schedule Committee (NDPSC) decided to reschedule medicines containing pseudoephedrine. This step has been taken in conjunction with projects being run such as PseudoWatch and PseudoStop, in an effort to reduce the acquisition of pseudoephedrine-containing medicines for the illicit manufacture of methylamphetamine.

The first stage of the rescheduling comes into effect as of 1 January, 2006. This will place all current pseudoephedrine products (slow-release, combination and undivided preparations) in all pack sizes into Schedule 3. Scheduling regulations vary from state to state;

The second stage of rescheduling comes into effect as of 1 April, 2006. This will move all liquid formulations containing more than 800mg of pseudoephedrine, and all combination or single ingredient products, such as capsules and tablets, containing more than 720mg of pseudoephedrine to Schedule 4. Further information concerning the Schedule 4 products will be available closer to the date.

From the Pharmacy Guild of Australia

State Variations

Shit. USA here we come.

Not only do we have to fight gaak, but behind the counter bullshit too.

:( 8( :(
:eek:

i doubt this will make much difference, if the meth cooks want psuedoephedrine then they will get psuedoephedrine one way or another, and once all the junkies find out that there is going to be a drought i bet there will be tons of break ins on pharmacies.

^ I just re-read that thread. P_D makes an interesting point about manufacturers turning to ephedra as a precursor for meth manufacture, once it gets too hard to get pseudo. This makes sense - the change from amphetamine manufacture to methamphetamine manufacturer in the 90s probably happened as a result of crackdowns on amphetamine precursors.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw:

- an increase in imported forms of meth - particularly imported crystal meth - this is happening anyway

- experimentation by local manufacturers with other drugs (but what????)

Trust me it's still easy. Especially if you have hayfever like me.
All you have to do is get your drivers license taken (which they don't really look at too much, ie. the photo etc..) on photocopy, sign your name and address in a book (which sometimes they dont even check if its the one on your card), give a signature.

Nothing has changed except two things:

If you're using them for bad things (naughty people!!), don't get more than one packet under your name a month. It's one packet a month or you come up as an alarm on the police's computers. Best to goto a GP if you get free bulk billing, then ask them for a strong sneeze medecine. They'll write that shit up with no problem, then there's no waiting around at the chemist.

I imagine this move will change the market. It will be interesting to see how!

I'm glad they are at least allowing us to buy it legimately. I'm also a hayfever sufferer. Glad we don't have to get a prescription... just need to buy it infrequently (which works for me - but not for illicit purposes).

^^ I also suffer hayfever Tronica. I find Claratyne work very well as long as you take it before the symptoms occur, ie. on those north wind days!

damn damn damn, those politicians are really on the ball :(

ID needed for cough drugs as ice targeted
By Mark Metherell
April 7, 2006

CONSUMERS buying cough and cold medicines will be asked to show identification as part of a new online scheme to disrupt the production of certain illicit drugs.

The powerful methamphetamines ice and speed pose Australia's biggest illicit drug problem.

This month NSW pharmacists will be able to join an online scheme enabling them to instantly identify suspected "pseudo-runners" - repeat buyers of pseudoephedrine products who then sell the products to speed factories.

The move follows a trial in Queensland which so far this year has led to the arrests of 15 people on 116 charges and the identification of three illicit drug factories.

The emergence of highly organised groups of runners, who may visit dozens of pharmacies in a day to acquire bulk quantities of the tablets, is estimated to provide 90 per cent of the raw product used in the clandestine manufacture of speed.

The methamphetamines dominate the illicit trade and have been linked with dangerous and violent side effects.

A packet of Sudafed tablets, costing consumers about $15, sells for about $50 on the drug blackmarket and, according to the Pharmacy Guild, the price in Brisbane has soared to $200 in the wake of the online crackdown.

Under Project STOP, pharmacists will require all buyers of the medicines to produce photo identification, details of which the chemist then keys into a computer linked to the network.

The identification number instantly triggers the display of all recent purchases by the ID holder of suspect products on the pharmacist's screen.

The pharmacist can then refuse to sell to the customer if the purchase is suspicious. The system also sends a mobile phone message to law enforcement agencies giving details of a suspect buyer and the time and place of the attempted purchase.

The president of the Pharmacy Guild, Kos Sclavos, said the real-time tracking capability meant police could map the likely movements of "pseudo-runners", leading to their interception.

The development was a "critical blow" at illicit drug makers, he said. The runners were "well-organised and notoriously difficult to detect, often travelling interstate in the course of their run", Mr Sclavos said.

He said the success of the crackdown in Queensland had been such that the runners were moving south of the Tweed.

One of the major routes used, involving visits to scores of pharmacies, was known as the "J run", involving an expedition down the coast from Cairns to Melbourne, then making a "J-turn" to Canberra.

Mr Sclavos said the online system had proved effective but relatively simple to operate and had drawn keen interest from overseas agencies.

The federal Justice Minister, Chris Ellison, said the Government would provide $380,000 to support the establishment of Project STOP nationally.

A national survey of drug use in 2004 found 9.1 per cent of Australians aged over 14 had used amphetamines and methamphetamines in their lifetime.

From Sydney Morning Herald

Photo ID for cold, flu relief
By SAM RICHES
07 Apr 2006

POLICE will soon be sent text messages alerting them to suspicious sales of cold and flu tablets in a national crackdown on methamphetamine production.

Under the program, customers will need to show photo identification to a pharmacist each time they buy medication containing pseudoephedrine.

The details will be then stored in an online recording system with drug squad detectives receiving details if customers buy multiple packs in a short period of time - with pharmacists also being warned to block the sale.

ProjectSTOP was announced yesterday by the Pharmacy Guild of Australia after being given funding approval by the Federal Government. The database logging will easily distinguish between legitimate buyers and those attempting to evade suspicion by "pseudo-running" or going from chemist to chemist buying quantities of the medication to use to cook methamphetamine - also known as speed. Pseudo-runners also often buy interstate to avoid detection, with ProjectSTOP's national focus making that more difficult. The strategy also employs GPS mapping to show the movements in real time for each purchase. National president of the Pharmacy Guild, Kos Sclavos said pharmacists were not trying to "interrogate" anyone by asking for identification.

"Nor are we accusing patients of wrongdoing, we are simply trying to help protect the community from the blight of illicit drugs," he said.

Amphetamine use in SA has been described as "epidemic".

Mr Sclavos said the pharmacy guild was determined to stamp out the problem and predicted that the voluntary system would eventually become mandatory.

Trialled in Queensland since November last year, ProjectSTOP has resulted so far in 15 arrests.

From The Advertiser

Current legitamite flu suffererer here. I've already encountered problems buying the Codral 'Night and Day' tablets. Two pharmacies I've brought packets from have summoned the Pharmacist from out the back, who has then given me the 3rd degree about my symptoms, how long I've had my "cold" for, whether I've had these before, what other medications I'm on, and after all that, "strongly" suggested I purchase cough liquid instead (which I've tried and hate). I've never felt so insulted and unwelcome. And I was dressed both times, in a suit for work, I hardly look like a drug feind. They are really cracking down.

^ There are two possible scenearios - the pharmacist was legitimately trying to divert you from purchasing pseudoephedrine, or s/he was simply following the mandated steps precisely. A good pharmacist will always run through symptoms and check for contraindications before handing over medicine - they're protecting their own interests as well as yours. It can seem obtrusive, I agree, but in the majority of cases they're just looking out for your interests.

^ Yeah I didn't mind the questions per se (most of them are pretty standard, I agree) - it was more the attitude, and the obvious hesitancy. Something has definitely changed. In one pharmacy the sales assistant was the one doing the interrogating, I answered all the questions and then she went a couple of feet away to the pharmacist and they had a little "pow wow" whispering about me and pointing! Now that's just rude.

And the pushing of cough liquids when I specifically asked for tablets.

I'm sure it's all what they have to do, but personally I can't wait until the new Codral Phenylephrine tablets come out - I would have happily taken them instead, it's not like I was after pseudoephedrine in particular.

I used to get Sudafed the silver packed when I had cold's I find its the only thing that worked. now they have changed it to some other shit and take down my details. Ive asked my doctor but he is a bitch too.

Demand = supply

Nomatter how hard. Their attempts are futile. Humans are smart creatures.

Just buy the 12 packs they're still legal and unscripted.

Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, classifications, meth, BZP

Ephedrine was once OTC. Now it's a Class C5 Controlled Drug here in New Zealand - C5 is controlled but prescribable on ordinary prescription form.

As for pseudoephedrine, many pharmacists here in co-operation with requests from NZ Police require photo ID from customers not known to them who are purchasing pseudoephedrine. Sales of pseudoephedrine are being recorded.

Pseudoephedrine is now Class C3 here - C3 can be purchased over the counter but is controlled in other ways and it means it now has an entry in the Schedules to the Misuse of Drugs Act and is subject to its requirements.

I personally would like to see BZP 'party pills' remain legal here as a safer alternative to methamphetamine.

gerrym
New Zealand

nicky: Demazin 6 hour.

Who says BZP is safer btw?
It sure dehydrates you a lot worse.