Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Chris Farley Returns in Ads for Drug Treatment

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
Farley Returns in Ads for Drug Treatment
Associated Press
Sat Apr 1, 2006

LOS ANGELES - Chris Farley, the funnyman who died more than eight years ago of a drug overdose, is making an appearance — on billboards that advertise treatment for drug and alcohol addiction.

The outdoor ads — the first major commercial use of his image approved by his family — feature a photo of the smiling, famously bloated comic with the slogan, "It wasn't all his fault." The ads tout a new addiction treatment from Hythiam Inc.

The first billboard will appear Monday near the Chateau Marmont on Sunset Boulevard, the hotel where Farley's idol, comedian John Belushi, died of a drug overdose in 1982.

"We felt it was an effective way of getting people to focus on our message point, because it's unusual to see a celebrity in this fashion," said Terren S. Peizer, Hythiam's chief executive.

Farley — whose wild antics on "Saturday Night Live" earned him comparisons to Belushi, another veteran of the show — died Dec. 18, 1997, in Chicago of an accidental overdose of morphine and cocaine. He was 33.

The billboards will appear in the Los Angeles area. Peizer said talks are under way with estates of several other dead celebrities, whom he declined to identify.

Hythiam paid Farley's estate $25,000 for the right to use the image.

Link

Heh. after reading the topic, I thought to myself, "Holy shit!! He's back from the dead." No joke!

I am very happy they used a fitting picture of him and not a degrading one. His example is an extrem but it seems thats what people need to listen up a little.

They should also put his photo out front of fast food joints. His image isn't really going to stop a heroin addict. But, his appearance would definetly make me think twice about buying that Big Mac.

^The image of his dead corpse will probably stop people from using drugs.

Yeah, so will gov't propaganda, right? Scare tactics don't work. They're just laughable. Remember those anti-pot ones from a few years ago? People running people over, stealing, etc. Shit, remember Reefer Madness? At least his family is making money off it.

The truth and experience is the only thing that will truly work.

phrozen said:
They should also put his photo out front of fast food joints. His image isn't really going to stop a heroin addict. But, his appearance would definetly make me think twice about buying that Big Mac.

Seriously. All this "Chris Farley died of an overdose" is nothing but a conspiracy by the fast food industry.

Chris Farley died because he was a fat fuck.

Well it wasn't just because he was overweight, but I think it was a combination of that plus the drugs. I've done morphine and coke together (speedballing if you'd like to call it that) and it can be very overwhelming, not to mention mixing stimulants (cocaine) and opiates (morphine) isn't such a smart idea. So I'm sure his body couldn't take it, leading him to have a heart attack... But anyway, I too am happy they aren't using some degrading picture of him, but instead a good one.

davesoviet said:
Seriously. All this "Chris Farley died of an overdose" is nothing but a conspiracy by the fast food industry.

Chris Farley died because he was a fat fuck.

There's a picture on the net of him after he's ODed. He's blue and has what looks like sick in his mouth. From the pic' I don't think it was him being fat that killed him. :\

Gaz_hmmmm said:
There's a picture on the net of him after he's ODed. He's blue and has what looks like sick in his mouth. From the pic' I don't think it was him being fat that killed him. :\

Nasty.

The one time I died on a heroin OD, I was told I was foaming like that, too.

However, it was possible for people to revive me. Because I'm not fat.

Gaz_hmmmm said:

People who are fat are less healthy and its a real possiblity that if he wasnt as fat as he was when he died, his body woulda been able to handle the OD better. maybe thats what davesoviet meant. orhe coulda just been bein a smartass. either way doe, weight definately had somethin to do with it. maybe wasnt the DIRECT cause of death but if your arteries are clogged, your circulatory system is beat, and your heart is fucked cuz of extreme overweight, you aint gonna take a OD of 2 drugs that both fuck with your circulatory system too well thas the truth.

^Although, I do agree to a certain extent, that weight is alot of the time, the contributing factor to a person's susceptability to overdose. It is still quite possible for someone to overdose if they are in good physical condition.
Look at River Phoenix... he died of the same combo.

lacey k said:
People who are fat are less healthy and its a real possiblity that if he wasnt as fat as he was when he died, his body woulda been able to handle the OD better. maybe thats what davesoviet meant. orhe coulda just been bein a smartass.

LOL... I got as far as "maybe thats what davesoviet meant" and was going to reply that really, I was just being a smartass. Turns out, you beat me to the punch.

Sorry, I have a dark and cynical sense of humor.

I'd like to see some overdose fatality statistics comparing healthy people versus [heavily] overweight ones. I have a feeling that the healthy ones fare much better than the fat fucks do.

Shit, coke is the last thing I would do if I was that fat. Talk about an increased heart attack risk. Hey maybe Chrissy was doing coke/heroin to lose weight? Definetly funner than gastric bypass, huh?

I wouldn't say Layne Staley was overweight or anything near it, and he oded on H+Crack IIRC, anyway there are times when you don't know when it's accidental and when the user decides it's gonna be his FINAL shot.
Can't speak for myself, I'm hitting the crack pipe, but though the weight is a matter, when you are rich and or famous and have all the hookups the temptation is way hard to handle, fuck I'm not rich neither famous and it's already too much for my self control living in this huge metropolis.

phrozen said:
EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Bigger fish to fry, and all that...