• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Juices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariacallas

Bluelight Crew
I just purchased a Black and Decker Juice Extractor...I'm sooo excited lol....now I dont need to buy prepackaged fruit and vegetable juices (which i LOVE) and worry about that extra sugar, sodium and preservatives.
The only juice Ive made today was two glasses of carrot (i love carrot juice but i cant find any good ones in the supermarket) and my own vegetable juice which was carrot, tomato & celery. Does anybody have fruit or veggie juicer recipes they wanna share ? :D

i love carrot juice but i cant find any good ones in the supermarket

Yeah, and stick to good carrots. I once was offered a large box for a few $s. They looked good, but the juice tasted terrible.

Carrot, beetroot and ginger is one of our favorites. It seemed like the perfect pre/ post load/ hangover cure when partying for more than 24 hours. Just a little ginger root, and ease in on the % of beetroot.

Ooo, very nice purchase :) I don't have a juicer but I do use a blender to make smoothies almost everyday.

If I had a juicer, though, I'd probably make:

Apple + pear
Apple + pinneaple
Apple + blueberry

FRESH orange juice
FRESH lemon juice to make lemonade (or put on crepes)

I know these are just basic things but that's probably what I'd use it for.

And I wouldn't make carrot juice - there isn't really any point in juicing carrots unless you like the taste of the juice, which I don't. Well actually, it depends on the age of the carrot. If I could juice 250 baby carrots every day to make a cup of juice I would, but they're kind of expensive.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what cool recipes you come up with!

Well if you are really interested into juicing, I suggest you bring back your juicer to the store, and get a better one.

Pretty much all juicers work with high-speed centrifuge force, which heats up the juice and destroys precious enzymes. They also tend to leave a not-so-dry pulp, and are a mess to clean up.

After spending 15 hours on the subject, I decided to go with the Omega 8003 model. Payed 450$ Canadian for it. Best buy ever.

Low-RPM with mastication, 3 min to clean up, can juice Spinachs, WheatGrass, pretty much anything... Extremely dry pulp, too.

As for recipes, try to have a solid base of leafy greens, carrots are good, and then something sweet (fruits) to give a nice taste.

Here is an example

Spinachs + Celery + Parsley
Carrots
Lemon + Orange + Grapefruit.

Apples don't always juice well, some of them produce a lot of foam, depends on the brand.

With my juicer, making a juice with 6-8 ingredients takes about 12 min, cleaning included. It's living fuel like you've never seen before. 15 min after taking it I can feel my head working better, more positive thoughts and concentration.

Juices with 2 ingredients are good, 6+ is better for your health.

Don't take too much carrots either, as they contain a lot of Vitamin A (liver) and can give your skin an orange glow if abused.

I suggest you look into the book The Juicing Bible, which contains recipes and the effects of each and every fruit and Vegetable on your body, which you will then be able to adapt depending on your goals / condition.

Also, it is VERY important to do it with Organic veggies, else you will get a nice concentrated dose of pesticides and chemicals. Vegetables are affected differently by their organic / non-organic culture. Spices, such as parsley, aren't too bad because they don't need that much pesticides to keep bugs off. Others like Carrots, are the most OGMed, transgenic, chemical stuff you can find.

I once bought those normal, 99c a bag carrots for my juices. 30 min after drinking it I had a headache and felt down and aggresive. Repeated the experience 2 times, same result. Went back to organic, no more. Friends with juicer have confirmed the phenomenon. When you extract everything from veggies, quality and toxins ARE an important aspect.

Have fun

Last edited:
^^^hehe I'll bear that brand in mind when I have more money to spare :( Even tho this juicer is doing its job, the pulp IS extremely wet and not as dry and *squeezed* as it should be, you are right. (I saw a juicer being advertised on tv as well, sponsored by Jack Lalanne(sp?) lol...is that the Omega brand ? anyway they showed really dried pulp and maximum juice.) But my Black&Decker will have to do for now. :) Ditto on using the freshest organic veggies too of course that is super important.

I also found this site with simple yet creatively named juice recipes:

Athlete’s Super Fuel

1/2 watermelon
1 lemon
5 oranges
1 can frozen pineapple concentrate

So you're just entered the iron man contest. No more couch baby-sitting for you. Heading for the threshold of endurance. Developing a discipline like iron that will keep you running with power toward that finish line. Fixed and resolute, yet flexible and gentle. Driven and focused, yet child-like and joyful. Strong, yet dependent on God. Ready those muscles for training. Stir the soul. Be ready for action like a soldier awaits a command.

The Hyper House Cleaner

2 yams
1 beet
1 slice Spanish onion
2 lemons
1 celery
slice of ginger

So you're ready to clean house. To scale the Mount Everest of dust and garbage. To enter the black hole of the basement. To chop a jungle trail through the kid's bedroom. To reach into crevices too horrid to imagine. Yes, you need juice. Not just plain juice, but hyper-housecleaner juice. More powerful than a janitor in a drum. More thorough than Mr. Clean. Able to leap kid's toy's in a single bound. Polish up those cleaning utensils and get ready for an aerobic house-cleaning workout.
http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_book/juice recipes.htm
hehe keep the recipes comin :D

my favourite --> carrot, orange, apple, pineapple and a touch of ginger.

Apple and strawberry juice is the best!!!!!

p.s I bought a juicer and It was fun for about 3 months it's now collecting dust somewhere ;)

I used to drink a preparation of carrots, celery, parsley, and beet, with a tomato occasionally thrown in as well. I wouldn't suggest juicing too many leafy greens though; you get so little juice out of them and most of the vital phytonutrients remain in the pulp, so you end up wasting money.

Pretty much all juicers work with high-speed centrifuge force, which heats up the juice and destroys precious enzymes.
You can't get "enzymes" from juice. Your stomach breaks down any protein into its component amino acids, which your body then uses to construct its own specific enzymes.

Even if it was possible to for an enzyme to pass through your gut undigested, you wouldn't derive any benefit from it. Different species have different enzymes tailored specifically to their environment and physiology. It is highly unlikely that the enzymes of a celery plant would be of any benefit to a human.

This "enzyme' myth is derived in part from the "raw foods" movement...which says that cooking food destroys the "natural enzymes." Well technically that is true...your stomach does the same thing!

Also, it is VERY important to do it with Organic veggies, else you will get a nice concentrated dose of pesticides and chemicals. Vegetables are affected differently by their organic / non-organic culture. Spices, such as parsley, aren't too bad because they don't need that much pesticides to keep bugs off. Others like Carrots, are the most OGMed, transgenic, chemical stuff you can find.

I once bought those normal, 99c a bag carrots for my juices. 30 min after drinking it I had a headache and felt down and aggresive. Repeated the experience 2 times, same result. Went back to organic, no more. Friends with juicer have confirmed the phenomenon. When you extract everything from veggies, quality and toxins ARE an important aspect.
Can you name a specific example of a chemical found in transgenic carrots that is toxic? I ask because you make it sound like you did some sort of scientific test when it actuality you just made a random assertion. You felt "down and aggressive"...due to what? Some mystery chemical in the carrot?

Most people making carrot juice are going to use the big carrots, which are most likely genetically modified. Please don't say something is bad without backing it up. You might scare people away from doing something that is perfectly safe.

Last edited:
I dont see a problem as long as one makes sure to wash the vegetables very well....I made a mistake once of using baby carrots i found in the fridge that I assumed were washed (looked perfect too) and got a splitting headache after I consumed the juice :X Will never happen again.

There are centrifugal and masticating juicers available in the market and both have their pros and cons . I also agree with the possibility that maybe SOME (not all) centrifugal juicers can produce more heat than usual which can damage nutrients and enzymes present in the juice.....it really depends. Anyway I drink my juice as soon as I've made it so not a prob.
A good link:
http://www.happyjuicer.com/juicers/choosing-a-juicer.asp

http://www.happyjuicer.com/ is also a very good site.

/\ I used to think it does rob the juice of some nutrients, plant enzymes etc. ... This is the first time heard of plant enzymes being useless to us. I'd heard they're very important for us and therefore it's no good overcooking food. But I have NO scientific study to back this up.

In any case if you do juice by all means look for organic produce!! Think of the amounts of fruit/veg you are using there and taking in (since you don't ingest the fibre... it's really concentrated nutrients, much more of a thing than you'd normalyl be able to eat, so you also get far more of the pesticided etc. unless it's organic

Last edited:
Yay I got a new juicer as a present =D;)
It's the ...Jack LaLanne Juicer. I'm very very happy with it ! It really squeezes maximum juice out of the pulp and is so much more efficient than the Black & Decker I purchased earlier (although I'm still keeping that around for backup).
B0002FGU6G.01-A3EU6A3EAPA3M7._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Recently I've been adding ginger to my daily carrot juice ....it's so much yummier.
And I've taken a liking to apple, pear , mandarin orange & grapefruit mixed all together for a pick me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.