• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teen "steroid rage" lasts for years

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
A new study reveals that anabolic steroid use in teenagers may have a long-term effect on their brains, causing aggression to last for years after quitting the drugs.

Professor Richard Melloni Jr., Ph.D., and his colleagues at Northeastern University in Boston studied the behavior of hamsters while on steroids and then after withdrawal. The researchers' finding appear in the latest issue of Behavioral Neuroscience, a journal of the American Psychological Association.

Melloni and two of his graduate students discovered that hamsters showing levels of tame play-fighting similar to human teenagers became aggressive when injected with commonly used steroids. The full-blown aggression lasted for long periods during the hamsters' adult life, leaving the team to estimate that teens who use steroids may become adults with behavioral problems. Autopsies performed on the hamsters that went through withdrawal revealed inner changes in their brains that correlated with outward aggressiveness.

"Steroids step on the gas for aggression by enhancing the activity of brain areas that induce aggression," says Melloni.

"Some of the effects may wear off after withdrawal, but aggressive behavior won't stop immediately, leaving them to be a danger to themselves and others."

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), an estimated half million teenagers (eighth- 10th- and 12th-graders) abuse anabolic-androgenic steroids (AASs) annually. Neuroscientists say that steroid use at that stage of a teenager's life can lead to heavier use later, not to mention the likelihood of offensive aggression and other psychiatric problems.

"We hope teenagers realize that achieving excessive muscle mass and unrealistic athletic achievements are not worth the damage steroids can cause," says Melloni.

Melloni hopes that these findings will help treat aggressive and offensive behavior with or without drug use.

"There is a critical developmental period for the brain during teenage life, when drug use can result in permanent damage," says Melloni. "We're finding, for instance, that serotonin levels, which play a part in depression, may be altered forever."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teen "steroid rage" lasts for years
Fri 10 Mar 2006
BOSTON (myDNA News)

Link

i really expected this , kinda makes sense , just take a look at the steroids forum

them juicers dont feel its like a bad side-effect they seem to like it just like when you do coke but without the comedown , so thats why it took scientists so long to discover it

unrealistic athletic achievements are not worth the damage steroids can cause

well duh, only realistic athletic achievements are worth the damage8(

..this study seems to be pretty accurate, pretty much all the guys i know who have been on roids have a pretty large tendency to be more of an asshole than most; they just get pissed off so much easier.

^^^ A lot of people who use steroids are vain from the onset. The use of the steroids probably compounds the problem even further, thus creating a mega-douchebag. Not to stereotype or anything 8).
PS If anyone from the steroid forum reads this, i know karate....

I've often wondered if the dudes from the steroid forum read any of the other forums around here. You guys listening?

I'm sure they will just disreguard the study because it was done on hamsters.

Sphinx(afterlife) reads the news forum sometimes.

I wonder about this roid rage and I dont think all the answers are in yet. Anyway, have you ever wondered what it'd be like to be huge? Despite living in civilized society, muscles give you tons of advantages, and power corrupts. While its a funny idea, I recently went from being relatively skinny to relatively built (without steroids) and really situations change.

fruitfly said:
A new study reveals that anabolic steroid use in teenagers may have a long-term effect on their brains, causing aggression to last for years after quitting the drugs.
News: chemical interference may cause permanent effects! Scientists are stunned while taking a deep shit!

fruitfly said:
Professor Richard Melloni Jr., Ph.D., and his colleagues at Northeastern University in Boston studied the behavior of hamsters while on steroids and then after withdrawal. The researchers' finding appear in the latest issue of Behavioral Neuroscience, a journal of the American Psychological Association.
News: hamsters are the same as teenagers! Videogamer losers write angry emails in protest!

Seems like people are very quick to accept the conclusions of this study considering the usual attitude towards these kind of articles. I'm not saying the conclusions are invalid, I have no idea if they are, but especially in the case of drug research one must be somewhat critical as there's a lot of misinformation in this area.

i think people are just agreeing with the conclusion based on personal experience rather than the accuracy of how it was conducted. just an opinion.

redeemer said:
Seems like people are very quick to accept the conclusions of this study considering the usual attitude towards these kind of studies.
Indeed. If people are capable of seeing two sides of an issue I encourage you to look at these two threads. They are from the steroid forum, if you take the time to read them through you may realize you have been making generalizations. Nobody in particular I'm just throwing it out there.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=245379

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=245487

Massive doses of testosterone raise agression? No Way!

Our brains are "software" = the more you run the "aggressive" program, the more it will change your psyche to be agressive. *shrug* It's just setting down behaviors harder/faster than normal, so long-term roid users have massive ego/aggression issues.

It's the same thing as "discovering" that "Long-term crack users are impulsive."

I have personally seen steroid users and 'roid rage' is no myth. Arrogant, pushy, angry and impatient motherfuckers.

psychetool said:
I have personally seen steroid users and 'roid rage' is no myth. Arrogant, pushy, angry and impatient motherfuckers.
And what proof do you have that those people were not just ass-holes? I have been around hundreds of users over the last four years or so, and while certain steroids certainly did cause some of them to act like jerks, the worst cases were simply dickheads to begin with.

Well i'm speaking mainly for test, don't know enough to judge with the others...

It just made them super competative, arrogant and in your face, not my style. Sure they were somewhat like this before they started their cycles, but on test it amplifies it up to a WHOLE different level.

psychetool said:
It just made them super competative, arrogant and in your face, not my style. Sure they were somewhat like this before they started their cycles, but on test it amplifies it up to a WHOLE different level.
Couldn't it just be the results of the steroids (big-ass muscles) that are making them assholes or at least increasing their asshole-like qualities?

Dude, just ask the people at the steroid forum. They won't admit that it makes then angry but it sure as fuck jacks them up and makes them SUPER competative, I think sphinx described it as feeling like a god ? I don't really care anymore, steroids arn't my thing.

Guess what, psychetool? When you are in a sport where you can only track progress by measuring against yourself and others, and can only compete against others, you'll start feeling competative. That's what happens.

And yeah, being on the juice can make you feel fucking incredible day in and day out. That is nowhere near the same thing as 'roid rage or anything similar.

I'm just telling you what I have seen in my personal expirience, you can choose to beleive or disbeleive it. Your choice, i'm not going to try and 'convince' you anymore of what I have seen with my own eyes. To me it sounds like you're on the juice right now.