There needs to be a science forum.

Diacetylus

Bluelighter
Who here agrees with me, when I would like a request for a science discussion forum? I know that this would not be easy, but would most definitely be possible, what with all of the 'science nerds' already present on Bluelight.
I personally think it would add alot more intelligent discussion and would make bluelight a more interesting place.
Just an idea...

Welcome to SUPPORT, and may I show you our handy SEARCH function? Where you can put in terms like 'science forum' and come up with these hits

Basically, those discussions boiled down to a) we have forums for the relevant discussions, and b) those forums aren't being overrun by such threads that we need to sepearte them out into a different (sub) forum. So, while the idea comes up periodically, we aren't really adding forums unless there is a visible need for them (such as - bunches of threads for a given topic). And, there's always the myriad of other sites dedicated to such discussions, whereas our focus is harm reduction and drug education (despite the load of community forums we have).

I will however, raise it again with the Admins, since we do periodically review the site, it's forums, and in what directions we feel we need to be growing.

I for one am always in support of a Sci/Tech forum. Second Opinion stays at a consistent level with tech support questions, and largely due to my own actions, CEPs front page has at least 5 tech related threads on it per day. Science threads are added there periodicly too as well as in T&A. I'm not going to "fight" for such a forum per se and raise a stink or more of a convincing arguement. I merely feel it would do pretty well if one was created.

as a side note, not directly related, BL's participation seems to be dropping across the board. Both in the community and in drug forums..especially over the last year or two. Maybe some fresh new ideas to envigorate the board are in order?

^ heres an idea- drop that boring ce&p and have a science forum instead. :)

I won't fight for a tech forum either, but if there was one I would frequent it and be willing to help out. I keep up on local and world news but I read a metric fuckton of techy nerd news on a daily basis and enjoy discussing it. :)

/me hands out nerd merit badges to DD and Finder

The Admins are overdue to review the site as a whole and evaluate forums (any merges, and new ones, and kill-off ones, etc). I can't give any indication on any forums, other than to say "we need to look at it overall ... and we will". Stay tuned to the same Bat Channel, Same Bat Time, for more from our caped crusaders.

Difference between a geek and a nerd? Geeks get it done. ;)

*ahem* back on topic...

This is just a short review of the current status of just page 1 of the following forums that have threads i think would fit the criteria:

CEP (6)
DD- More Patent Absurdity: U.S. Grants Patent For AJAX (no not the cleaning stuff)
DD- Razorback Bust: by the MPAA (servers siezed)
TheDEA.org- eMusic: No RIAA, no DRM.
DD--Move over Gates, there's a new philanthropist in town (google.org)
Frizz--An IT Center for the Gaza Strip
lifeisforliving -College bans Wi-Fi - Sighting health concer

Second Opinion (14)
nowonmai-Graphics hardware
Visu04atBLUE -Go to first new post PC cooling issues
captainballs- Go to first new post GTA (1997) free full version for XP
tranced- Is there any software out there for calculating maths sums?
chibi -Can I password protect this stuff?
DD-Firefox 1.5 does not have a leak, it's the cache feature & here's how to fix it
DD-Wake up call for mac users. 2 OS X viruses in a month
BilZ0r -I need webspace!!!
TLB- PC Help - Can't browse shopping sites
Cannabliss - Any Graphic Designers here? (PC or Mac)
rat tat tat tat-Digital Camera's
captainballs - Windows XP doesn't listen
MildKandy -Selling Used Cell Phones?
Bel- TV: Mono to stereo?

Thoughts and Awareness: (1)
DD-Scientists hail discovery of hundreds of new species in remote New Guinea

The Lounge
fengtau -Post a screen capture of your desktop v2

take it for what it's worth :) I was always under the impression a long long time ago when the sports forum and science forums were in heavy discussion and debate that the attitude generated from the top down was... if the number of threads warrant it's own division on the board the issue would be looked at with more severity. Since that thread, i'd say the amount both in Second Opinion and CEP have both drastically increased. Both in terms of political issues surrounding technology and support for technical issues (such as your current thread) along with just general discussion..

Astronomy threads get posted on a consistent, but infrequent basis in CEP as well and like i said.. this was just the first page of said forums. :) Just thought i'd consolidate some easy to access data to raise a bit of awareness.

Last edited:
I'll leave this open for now, to get any new opinions on the subject. I agree that this issue should be asessed, along with a lot of other issues. I don't think we cqan give a definite time frame, though.

DigitalDuality said:
as a side note, not directly related, BL's participation seems to be dropping across the board. Both in the community and in drug forums..especially over the last year or two. Maybe some fresh new ideas to envigorate the board are in order?
TheLoveBandit said:
And, there's always the myriad of other sites dedicated to such discussions, whereas our focus is harm reduction and drug education (despite the load of community forums we have).

You probably know already what's coming if you've payed attention to the emphasized text. I agree with what I've quoted, but instead of the community forums I'd rather have some people work on new idea's/getting back activity for the drug discussion forums. As it is now we've already got more activity in the community forums then we've got in the drug discussion forums, which remains the main purpose of this site.

^ Improvements to the drug forums will always come first. Additionally, the impact of new community forums with regards to the main focus of harm reduction will also be assessed.

Also, TLB, it's same bat time, same bat channel, not the other way around ;)

In alot of ways there are huge huge divisions in the Community/Arts and the Drug sides of the board. But i think they need each other. Yes, i said NEED.

Without the drug forums, the community is pointless. THere's no tie that binds. Without the community, BL would be a boring ghosttown. People would come by for some FAQs, maybe to ask some questions that have been asked 10,000 times over, and then leave. What, seperates us from erowid if all we were to do is provide info on drugs?

The popularity and usefulness of the board is dependent on people having not only a reason to come here, but at times stay here. The person asking drug questions today, getting involved in the community, sticking around, eventually becomes the person answering questions, becoming a mod, and contributing back.

I really wish people would quit looking at it as some kind of competition between the two and which side of the board is more important, the nature between the two sides are symbiotic. I think we all recognize what BL's focus is very well. And alot of us are going to have loyalty to where we spend the majority of our time and the forums we enjoy the most.

It is a sincere belief, that constructive changes should be made to BL. Something added. This board is only (i'm guestimating here) about half or a quarter as active as it used to be. We see more alter ego accounts than we see new registers. I think this should be addressed, and looking at the board as a WHOLE, something decided on what to change/add/etc.. which TLB has already addressed would be discussed.

The addition to something to the community, doesn't mean there's some massive favortism towards that section, nor does it mean BL is losing its focus by anymeans. As it stands now the community would have to have 2-3 times as many forums as it currently does to even match the amount of space that is devoted to the drug section. I'm not saying that level should ever be reached, but the cries of "we're losing focus" out of some kind of illusioned competition, are old.

The Community and Arts also performs a function, IMHO, (intended or not) as good PR. Not just PR for bluelight, but PR for drug users. Imagine yourself as the typical adult. The one who advocates stronger drug laws. The one who freaks out at the idea of their child touching drugs.. and they see a forum like bluelight. Imagine BL not having a community at all. What do they see? They see a bunch of drug users trading tips with each other. A site this horrid, must be shut down! Right?

But with the community? They see people who are semi-knowledgable about politics. They see tons of kids discussion issues about college that plenty of other of kids who don't use drugs are discussing.. They see blossoming (though sometimes redundant) discussions about sprituality. They see a religious right presense here and a left wing presence here. They see tips on cooking, banking, how do i fix my computer. They see (sometimes for worse) issues about our relationships and our sexuality. They see our interests and critiques in music and film..they see us express ourselves through poems and short stories. And all of a sudden, we look a bit more human..than just a bunch of junkies. Now i'm not saying that this is the case every single time an anti-drug advocate comes across bluelight. But it helps. There seems to be a level of detachment on how non-drug users tend to view drug users. It's a very..media and fear induced image. The community is full of examples proving otherwise, and i think that's a very important statement to be making.

But as it stands right now, it doesn't look like we're making an impression on anyone. There was a time when having the Press page and a Press person was rather important to BL. Why do you think that was scrapped? We still have the page of course, but we don't really have a contact person (if i'm not mistaken). Usage of the board overall has dropped. Signifigantly.

and sometimes adding forums isn't always an answer in either realm. Forum consolidation can form a "tighter" community who's more active in their posting rather than having to sift through such a wide spectrum of forums. This also aids in keeping people around longer. I couldn't begin to count the number of threads that could easily fit in Healthy Living and Second Opinon. And why is there a Healthy Q&A forum AND a Healthy Living forum in the Drug section? Is there really that kind of need?

Now the reason i posted such a long rant about it. Since BL's inception, do you know how many people have donated countless hours, sometimes countless thankless hours, to BL in these sections?? To minimalize and undermine their (and my own) efforts with this habitual "reminder" of the absolute obvious in every single thread of this nature, gets insulting after a while. Before anyone even replied to the original post, i heard the waammbulance coming from miles away. Instead of reminding us in a thread about the possibility of a science forum, why not be constructive and give your suggestion to improve the drug forums in another thread?

As to the activity in the community forums, in comparisson to that in the drug forums.. you could reduce all the arts and community down to one forum and it would still have more activity. This is the same on every board i frequent or used to frequent..

Ubuntu Linux Forums: (only one social section.. yet one 2 section on the board surpass it's "community" activity.)
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/index.php

Automotive Forum (community section clearly out participates focus forums)
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/index.php?

The Shroomery (it's pub section has more threads and posts than any other section)
http://shroomery.org/forums/ubbthreads.php

The reason why? They're social forums, discussion over a given topic in these regions tend to generate many more responses. Most of all these communities sections (including our own) have about 20% of the membership generating about 80% of the threads and posts. It's normal. How to increase participation and attraction to the drug forums should be looked at in itself rather than some compare and contrast dick sizing competition with the community.

Last edited:
Dude, the way I see it, when something is broke, you try to fix it. Drug discussion comes first, then come the community forums. Not having a specific community where science can be discussed is more of a luxury problem, which can always be added later on. For now, I think it's in the best interest to spend some more time on trying to solve the low activity in the drug forums, a problem higher on the list.

For what it's worth, I'm not really opposed to a science/tech forum. It's the best (community) forum suggestion out of all the previous forum suggestions. I just don't think now is the time.

You'd expect a site of nearly 70000 members to be a little more active, ya know.

I don't wholly disagree with you, but do you have a suggestion to help the drug forums out, or are you just shooting this idea down b/c you want ____ done first?

And i think you missed out on the whole symbiotic point i was making.. but i'll let it drop.

BM, no one is saying that drug discussion comes second so why do you keep bringing it up?

Bringing it up is not a problem.. only bringing it up as the sole criticism for every community suggestion is.

The idea is to be constructive, not shooting down ideas for whatever selfish reason you have.

It's not like only one thing at a time can be considered and discussed so I fail to see how it's constructive to shoot down any discussion relating to the community forums which happens almost every time similar discussions are brought up.

DigitalDuality said:
I don't wholly disagree with you, but do you have a suggestion to help the drug forums out, or are you just shooting this idea down b/c you want ____ done first?

Pretty much. And I'm not shooting it down, I've just said that I thought the forum suggestion was worthwhile. I just don't think now is the time. IMO we should be checking out things to increase activity in the drug forums first. And no, I can't immediately think of a solution to the problem, I think that will take a little more then a simple suggestion.