Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph - 22/02/2006 'Bosses give drugs'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Bosses give drugs
February 22, 2006

TRANSPORT companies have been pushing drugs to their truck drivers, who work up to eight days without sleep and have admitted to hallucinating and falling asleep at the wheel.

More than a dozen drivers have provided statements to The Daily Telegraph detailing their impossibly punishing work schedules, which are fuelled by fear, fatigue and amphetamines.

The statements are in the process of being tendered to the NSW Industrial Relations Commission as part of a push by the Transport Workers Union to make companies more accountable for their drivers' drug use.

The IRC yesterday began hearing a test case that could force trucking companies to ensure contractors follow safety guidelines and training standards for long-haul truck drivers.

The award, which would apply to about 50,000 owner drivers and employee drivers in NSW, is being opposed by the NSW Road Transport Association, Australian Industry Group and Employers First.

In a statement yet to be tendered, a driver said he was given the drug speed by the company he worked for.

"One day, the operations manager and son of the owner asked me to take a load for (a freight company)," he said.

"I said, 'I've been going all day. I can't do it.' He said, 'Get one of the other drivers to fix you up'.

"On another occasion I was in the office when (the same manager) used the office phone to call another driver and directed him to give me some tablets."

In another statement already tendered to the commission, a driver states: "I also recall a situation (at another company) where management actually offered me drugs to stay awake."

From The Daily Telegraph

They have been saying all this as long as I can remember, its all talk.. they will never do anything to really fix the problem cause it will cost to many people to much money.