• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Truth About Drug Hysteria

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
The James Frey fiasco is not the first time accounts, descriptions or even research about drugs have been sensationalized or fabricated and proven false.

Until a prison record, a dental procedure and a death were exposed as fiction, millions of readers ate up James Frey's firsthand account of the horrors of drug and alcohol abuse in "A Million Little Pieces." In the weeks following the expose and mama-Oprah's defense-turned-shaming, much has been made in the literary world of the lines between fact, fiction and memoir.

With drugs, journalism, even science, has taken a "say anything (shocking)" approach. The Frey fiasco is not the first time accounts, descriptions or research about drugs have been sensationalized or fabricated and proven false. Fiction, in fact, has provided the cornerstone for much of our national drug policy.

Nearly 70 years ago, during the "Reefer Madness" frenzy that followed the end of Prohibition, Harry Anslinger, then America's commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, ranted that "[marijuana is] as dangerous as a coiled rattlesnake … how many murders, suicides … and deeds of maniacal insanity it causes each year, especially among the young, can be only conjectured."

That year our misinformed marijuana laws passed easily, and despite subsequent government commissions refuting the notion of the "killer weed," we continue to live with another Prohibition that's just as pointless as the first.

Over the years, sensational stories about drugs continued to fill the pages of newspapers, some even winning prestigious awards. In 1980, for example, Washington Post journalist Janet Cooke wrote a disturbing account of an 8-year-old addict who had been injecting heroin since he was 5. The next year she won the coveted Pulitzer Prize in feature writing. The story, it was later revealed, was a fabrication.

Even "scientific" research has been sensationalized. According to sociologists Craig Reinarman and Harry Levine, in terms of sheer numbers and consequence, no media claims have been more alarming than those about crack in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The "crack baby" phenomenon was perhaps most frightening, with predictions of upwards of 375,000 impaired infants who would eventually reach school age and turn our educational system upside down. These claims were later refuted by researchers who published a comprehensive review of the research in the Journal of the American Medical Association: "[T]here is no convincing evidence that prenatal cocaine exposure is associated with any developmental toxicity difference in severity, scope or kind from … many other risk factors."

Meanwhile, thousands of babies were placed in foster care, and many more mothers and children were saddled with a stigmatizing label more often used to justify various forms of punishment and discrimination than to improve access to health care and treatment. Hype and alarm about the mythological crack baby was also used to justify new, even stiffer laws for adults who possessed even tiny quantities of cocaine, resulting in the costly mass imprisonment of hundreds of thousands of nonviolent offenders.

By the late 1990s, the drug scare of choice was ecstasy (MDMA). As director of the first federally funded sociological study of MDMA, I was shocked by the sheer number of sensational claims appearing in seemingly reputable publications. Perhaps most disturbing was an article published in the esteemed journal Science. Researchers claimed that even a low dose of ecstasy could cause irreversible brain damage leading to Parkinson's disease. After the media had pounced on the story and the federal government followed with a $54 million anti-ecstasy campaign, the research was found to be fatally flawed (the drug administered to the primates was not, in fact, MDMA at all) and the story was retracted.

There's a pattern here, observed as far back as 1967, when the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice cautioned, "In reviewing the claims made about the undesirable outcomes of amphetamine use (and of marijuana and opiate use as well) … one is struck by the lack of support for the claims advanced by reputable and well-intentioned persons, including government officials, to the effect that these drugs cause crime and accidents … [suggesting] that scientific and official reporting about drug effects may itself be subject to strong bias and may reflect preconceived ideas rather than an adequate appraisal of the evidence."

Oprah was not the first to be duped by sensationalistic stories about drugs. Indeed, Americans have a history of eagerness to believe the worst. The more interesting question is more fundamental and less about Frey's lies than about us. Why are we so willing to believe the worst and so uncritical when it comes to drugs and the consequences of using them? Why do we keep believing the hype?

Drug abuse is a bad thing, to be sure, and real-life drug problems are a nightmare for all involved. But until we become critical of sensational accounts, we'll continue to allow our fears, rather than our intellect, to guide not only our choice of reading material but, more importantly, our policies.

Marsha Rosenbaum, Ph.D., directs the San Francisco office of the Drug Policy Alliance. She is the author of "Safety First: A Reality-Based Approach to Teens, Drugs and Drug Education."

--------------------------------------------------------------
The Truth About Drug Hysteria
By Marsha Rosenbaum, AlterNet. Posted February 14, 2006

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/32194/

The problem with these 'scares' is that even though they are eventually proven to be false, is that the people who got 'scared' don't listen to the later findings that they were false. The damage at that point, is already done.

I've talked to lots of people about MDMA and LSD, and they still ask me stupid questions like "doesn't it stay in your spine forever," or "doesn't eating MDMA eat your brain?" This just kinda proves that for most, the first bad thing is all they hear.

i just wish a source other than alternet would take these opinions...

very realistic good article. Why are we stuck with this stupid "drug war" and insolent ignorant people. We're just waging war on everything nowadays arent we.

I think a crucial thing here which is glossed over by the article is that James Frey, who has admitted fabrication of three minor elements in his own story, did still end up in rehab with a nasty crack and booze addiction. Which he no longer has.

Any autobiography, in being written down, is dramatized to an extent.

And while I know how absurd and damaging drug hysteria can be in our culture, I also know how rotten it can get for those abusing harmfull intoxicants.

James Frey still shows a path for the addict out of their predicament, which runs counter to the slightly sinister AA, and for this alone he should be commended.

Yeah. True. but it still seems to me that while drugs may be powerful, it sure takes an awful lack of common sense to let them just completely ruin your life.
I knew evolution was still working somehow :).

It takes alot of awful lack of common sense to let anything completly ruin your life. There is only one thing that can completly ruin your life, and that is DEATH. Anything other than death can only ruin your desired outcome of your life.

That said, drugs still do impact practically everyone in a negative way. Most people who do drugs tend to over look these negative impacts in their life. Im not saying that drugs are bad and no one should do them. I am simply saying people are very quick to protect their right to do drugs and how wrongfully it is for them to be illegal. Much quicker than they are to realise the negative effects they have had on them. Anyone who argues against their life being negativly effected by the use of drugs recreationally is either lying or in denial.

But each person has THEIR OWN RIGHT to decide if the negative effects of their drugs of choice outway the fun times and good feelings they have brought to them. I am one who comes from both walks of life, and I am glad I have quit drugs and also am glad I have spent nearly half of my (short) life doing them.

The point to my rant is that people are so quick to attack a flawed report on how bad drugs are, and so quick to defend how good drugs are. In other words, even a drug users personal experiences are extremely biased. So dont give the scientific comunity / government / AMA / anti drug junkies such a hard time for being biased, because you are being biased too.

Wired, common sense is no longer an issue when you have chosen a way of life that awards a sense of reward that doesnt require any effort to be put.

Ok, im done venting now. Have a nice day :)

Reardless the James Frey book was an increadible story. It was very good literature and I think it is unfair how he was treated. His book was in credibly helpful for me in overcoming my own addictions and probably a few others. I personally enjoy the book greatly and think Oprah is fat steaming pile of shit for treating him as she did.

I agree. Im not sure if Oprah's "book club" goes by categorys or not, but either way I dont think she should disregard the quality of the story based on it being fiction. I could understand if she had a problem with the book because it wasnt real putting it into a fiction category, but just flat out saying "after all, I dont like your book so much now that its not real anymore"

Either way its a damn good book, but also people shouldnt lie.

It is a fucking good book, but Frey deserves everything Oprah served up to him, the lying prick. These were not minor fabrications, they were outright lies and have no justification in what was published as a memoir.

danstabbingworth said:
The problem with these 'scares' is that even though they are eventually proven to be false, is that the people who got 'scared' don't listen to the later findings that they were false. The damage at that point, is already done.

I've talked to lots of people about MDMA and LSD, and they still ask me stupid questions like "doesn't it stay in your spine forever," or "doesn't eating MDMA eat your brain?" This just kinda proves that for most, the first bad thing is all they hear.
i agree completely and most people dont listen to me when i say that LSD doesnt stay in your spine, or when i try to state that MDMA doesnt put holes in your brain. OH well fuck em.

W1RED said:
Yeah. True. but it still seems to me that while drugs may be powerful, it sure takes an awful lack of common sense to let them just completely ruin your life.
I knew evolution was still working somehow :).

Hm I dunno that common sense and psychological needs are comparable things.

zophen