Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

THE WEST AUSTRALIAN : Kids, 13, hooked on flood of speed

Zonee

Bluelighter
Kids, 13, hooked on flood of speed

REGINA TITELIUS

WA children as young as 13 are developing harmful addictions to amphetamines, making it the State's number one drug problem for police and health services, according to authorities.

The flood of cheap amphetamines, or speed, has unleashed health problems bigger than those associated with other drugs.

Police are busting backyard laboratories at the rate of one a week in a battle to disrupt supplies of the drug that doctors and health experts say is socially toxic because it produces severe psychiatric problems.

With schoolchildren able to buy hits for as little as $40, hospitals and mental health services are straining to keep up with patients with amphetamine-linked problems.

The full extent of the health crisis is masked by the low death rate from amphetamine abuse compared to the death rate from using heroin.

In 1998, there were 78 overdose deaths in WA, most from heroin abuse. Last year, there were 36 deaths, with heroin causing six.

Authorities say other than immediate health risks from amphetamine abuse, which include heart failure and strokes, there are long-term mental health problems, in particular psychosis and depression.

The police organised crime squad has increased efforts to disrupt clandestine laboratories. Last year, 57 laboratories were discovered, a big jump from five in 1998.

Bikie gangs remain at the forefront of the amphetamine trade in WA, with two gang leaders behind bars over possession of amphetamines and a third charged last month with possession of amphetamines.

Royal Perth Hospital director of emergency medicine Frank Daly said amphetamine-related abuse accounted for about one per cent of emergency ward patients - about 400 people a year.

"It's our number one drug problem. The health risks and complications are far greater than heroin," Dr Daly said. "About 40 per cent of people presenting with amphetamine use require psychiatric referrals."

He said amphetamine patients also accounted for the majority of violent attacks against staff.

"Amphetamine abuse is a drain on our health system and a drain on our society," Dr Daly said.

North Metropolitan Mental Health director Peter Wynn Owen, who is based at Graylands Hospital, said amphetamines were socially toxic because users developed severe paranoid psychosis, which alienated them from friends and family.

He said the large case load from amphetamine abuse was further stretching mental health services which were unable to meet demand.

Continued on page 11Speed linked to psychosis

From page 1

Organised crime squad officer-in-charge Roger Beer said amphetamine use crossed socioeconomic boundaries and was being used by "family type people".

"A lot of people steered away from intravenous drugs such as heroin because of the junkie tag. But over time, people have adapted and shifted the parameters of what's acceptable," Sen. Sgt Beer said.

National Drug Research Institute director Steve Allsop said people did not perceive amphetamines as a "real" drug and were in denial about the detrimental affects. He said GPs were often the first line of contact for users and they should be better equipped to help.

There also needed to be more community education of the drugs' harmful effects, more drug services, emergency medical services and psychiatric care.

Link : http://www.thewestaustralian.com.au/20060213/news/general/tw-news-general-home-sto133435.html

This is pretty sad stuff to hear about. 13 year olds for crying out loud! I didn't even know what speed was at that age. It appears there's a pretty steep problem with amphetamines being illicitly manafactured in Western Australia. I'd assume, this is de to it being a little isolated thn a state like Melbourne, so it's harder for law enforcement to keep an eye on it's production.

Backyard Labs

They say they uncover 1 lab per week. I think that is bullshit.

Maybe labs that re-rock the shit, but not actually producing a decent amount 28g+ per batch.=D

"North Metropolitan Mental Health director Peter Wynn Owen, who is based at Graylands Hospital, said amphetamines were socially toxic because users developed severe paranoid psychosis, which alienated them from friends and family."

&

"Organised crime squad officer-in-charge Roger Beer said amphetamine use crossed socioeconomic boundaries and was being used by "family type people"."

hmmmmm

Last edited:
i love that phrase socially toxic

what does that mean? Could i say that liberals, (for example Chris Payne) are toxic to society, or as reporter puts it "socially toxic"?

Otherwise an article that simply hypes some stats that are in reality very benign. I bet my left arm that the Royal Perth Hospital director of emergency medicine Frank Daly went on to qualify the statement he made about It's our number one drug problem.....

i bet more people get injuries from oral sex then those who are admitted to hospital for amphetamines problems.

What is probably excerbating health services is the lack of funding mental healt h receives in this country. If funding was at the levels it should be then community service could provide the support people need before (and often seek) before going off the deep end wherein they they are using amphetamines (for that matter any behaviour) to the point of serious injury/death.

It's a small percent of the population who cause the biggest headlines. We have the money and ablity to save those people but end up priotising bullshit wars and parliment freebies over the lives of the most vunerable in our society.

The police are really on top of things with their 57 *cough* major *cough* labs that they are taking down every year. The bikies must be completely to blame for all of this speed production because 3 bikies were nailed for possession in the same year 8)

i dont live in the west, but i would say that most of the speed around here is made by the bikies, at least most of the bad speed.

i was 13 the first time i tried speed, i am sort of glad i tried it at that age though because when you are 13 and you have a speed addiction it fucks your body up alot more than it would an 18 year old so it didnt take long before i couldnt handle the negative physical side effects and i stopped for a long time.

i think if i had have tried it at an older age i would have been able to spend more money on it and my body would have been able to handle it better therefore i would have been addicted for much longer, its wierd logic but its what i believe.

i think there is no way any 13 year olds should be doing speed though, im just speaking for myself.

Yes, its been a couple of slow news days over here, so the worst (west) has turned to one of the old enemies. I love it how our most read daily paper is gradually making the transition from jounalism to story-telling.

Lock up your kids. These hard bitten murderous drug pushers are everywhere. Outside your school! In Your Park! Hell, if 'family type' people use it, next thing you know your own mother copuld be socially toxic. Ahhh... what a read.

When I read the title I was shocked... When I read the *story* I was disappointed.

All I can say is @ 13 that is terrible, I have been using Amphetamines from MDMA-4MAR (if you wana class it a phet) for the last 3 years sometimes hitting it a bit too hard and it's so easy to fit into your life but as a 13 year old what could u possibly need it for? as I see it the ages are getting younger as time goes on we will hear of the 8y.o caught in the corner under the *hammer* and then what will we be asking ourselves... It's the Cousins and Brothers and Sisters and some cases the parents saying *you know what this is?* Try it! this is crap and anyone that is doing this or has done this should be ashamed of themselves, I'm not the one to tell people how to live their lives. Especially not how to raise their kids. But this is just Crazy, that is complete Violation of your kids and you have no right to have kids

As for bikies being the producers... YEAH DUR NO CRAP, tell us sumthing we dont know it'd also be those *family types* that are into the Manufacture as well!

Quite terrible really though. 13 thats shocking...

SpecTBK=D

^Probably, it wouldn't surprise me if they were dealing on the side. When I went to a well known all boys school for a few months in year 9, alot of the 15-16 year old Vietnamese kids at my school would go into the city to "Play Videogames", but would actually be dealing Heroin from these pinball parlours close to chinatown. Most of them were dealing to support their smack habit. Alot of drugs dealers like to employ kids under the age of 18, so if they do get caught, they most likely won't be threatened with criminal record, because of their age. (not to mention, they would be much easier to exploit)

When I was 13-14, pot was the drug (and binge drinking of course) that most so inclined used - ecstasy and amps/meth were pretty rare to use, though not unheard of in my extended area at that age. ADD tabs getting rorted not included hehe.

Now, going to odd parties when there is nothing else to do to see slightly younger friends, it's pretty damn regular to see kids in the 13-14 years of age bracket doing speed and dropping pills with the same mentality we used pot - it's harmless, feels good, feels cool, fuck the world, etc.

I have no doubt that a majority of these people (an important thing to remember - they are people, not just "kids) will be quite messed by the time they reach their early adult-hood.

^^^ that's pretty scary.. that ecstasy and amp/meths are becoming the "gateway" drug for the youngins.. but when i was in high school a few years back a student prob 15yo got caught dealing speed to a 13 yo chick.. so i guess it has started even back then..

This is what you get when add and adhd is overdiagnosed.

I had this argument with a work collegue over whether or not kids should be prescribed ritalin or dexamphetamine. Who here hasn't tried their adhd mates medication at high school?

If my glamorous Lifestyle is appealing to you,
And you want to try me cause you've nothing to lose,
Then I must offer you a bit of advice;
You're a fool and you better think twice.
I destroy homes. I tear families apart.
I take your children and that's just a start.
I'm more value than diamonds and more precious than gold.
The sorrow I bring is a sight to behold.
If you need me, I'm easily found.
I live around you in school and in town.
I live with the rich and the poor.
I live just down the street and maybe next door.
I'm made in a lab, but not one like you think.
I can be made under your kitchen sink.
Or even in your child's closet, or out in the woods.
If this scares you to death then it certainly should.
I have many more names, but this is the one you'll know best.
I'm sure you've heard of me, my name is Crystal Meth !!!!
My power is awesome, try me you'll see.
But if you do, you may never be free.
Try me just once and I might let you go.
But if you try me twice, then I own your soul.
When I possess you, you'll steal and lie.
You'll do what you have to just to get high.
The crimes you'll commit for my narcotic charms,
Will be worth the pleasures. You'll feel in your arms.
You'll lie to your family; you'll steal from your Dad.
When you see their tears you won't even be sad.
Forget your morals, and how you were raised.
I'll be your conscience! I'll show you my ways.
I'll take kids from parents; I'll take parents from kids.
I'll turn people from God and separate friends.
I'll take everything from you, your good looks, your pride.
I'll be with you always, right by your side.
You'll give up everything, your family your home.
Your money, your friends, you'll be all alone.
I'll take and I'll take till you have no more to give.
When I finish with you, you'll be lucky to live.
If you tried me be warned, this is not just a game!!
Given the chance I'll drive you insane!!
I'll own you completely, Your soul will be mine.
The nightmares I'll give you, While you're lying there in bed.
The voices you hear will be in your head.
The sweats, the shakes, the visions you'll see.
I want you to know these gifts are from me.
But you came to me, not I to you.
You knew this would happen, how many times were you told?
But you challenged my power, you chose to be bold.
If you could live that day over again, what would you say?
My power is awesome, I told you before.
I can take anyone and make them a whore.
Go ahead and curse me with every breath.
Just make your choice, will it be life or will it be meth?
You'll take unknown paths on your journey through life.
Some will bring you happiness, some will bring you strife.
But my path is one you should not cross.
Although it is well taken, many lives will be lost.
Now that you've met me, what will you do?
Will you try me or not, it's all up to you.
I can show you more misery than words can tell.
Come take my hand, I'll lead you to Hell.

Dunno who wrote this

Special-T.B.K said:
When I read the title I was shocked... When I read the *story* I was disappointed.

All I can say is @ 13 that is terrible, I have been using Amphetamines from MDMA-4MAR (if you wana class it a phet) for the last 3 years sometimes hitting it a bit too hard and it's so easy to fit into your life but as a 13 year old what could u possibly need it for? as I see it the ages are getting younger as time goes on we will hear of the 8y.o caught in the corner under the *hammer* and then what will we be asking ourselves... It's the Cousins and Brothers and Sisters and some cases the parents saying *you know what this is?* Try it! this is crap and anyone that is doing this or has done this should be ashamed of themselves, I'm not the one to tell people how to live their lives. Especially not how to raise their kids. But this is just Crazy, that is complete Violation of your kids and you have no right to have kids

As for bikies being the producers... YEAH DUR NO CRAP, tell us sumthing we dont know it'd also be those *family types* that are into the Manufacture as well!

Quite terrible really though. 13 thats shocking...

SpecTBK=D

Yeah it would be if it were true in more than a few cases. The west loves to do things like this based on a single example. I recall there being a more specific article a few pages back from this one about how a mother lost her 14yr old to speed. Now we've had nothing for weeks. Here i was thinking the west was going off on another crusade and they've showed uncharacteristic respect for things know as facts. Random.

And on a side note, I have no trouble with semi-regular meth use. Never had a problem stopping. But hey...