• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How often should I use DXM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdogg

Bluelighter
The other night, for the first time, I tried DXM. It was amazing, and I loved it. I smoked a bong of awsome weed too, so It was pretty intense...but anyways...I've heard that using DXM too often can cause depression, depersonalization, and other emotional/mental side effects. I was wondering if anyone with some knowledge could tell me what the side effects from using DXM too often are, and how often I can do DXM safely, without any emotional/mental side effects.

From "This is your brain on dissociatives" :

"After each dose you should wait at least two days before taking another dose; that is the minimum time it takes for neural activity in lab animals to return to normal. Dosing again within this time may be especially hard on your brain cells. If you do decide to take an extended dose, it's probably a good idea to wait a long time before dosing again. With DXM, for maximum safety I recommend one week per plateau between uses (and at least a month if not two between the extremely-dangerous "plateau sigma" trips)."

---
I agree with this mostly, but I'd wait at least 3 week between doses (the longer the better). You want to be as safe as possible. And I really don't see the point in using DXM a lot. So just be safe, and read up a bit more on DXM and you can get an idea of how you want to treat your body.

I tripped on DXM with a few friends about 30-45 times in a 4 month period. I notice some slight differences in my memory and the way I think. It took me about a year to reach some normality. It's been two years and I'm still not 100% the same.

Well it is hard to say exactly. I use to do DXM a lot. Sometimes once a week sometimes 2 or 3 times. After about a month or two of it I finally got so sick of it, I couldn't do it anymore. After that it was kind of hard to tell ether it was the DXM or the other many drugs I did.

Now I find myself an extremly anti-social, depressed person. Just very isolated and stuff. This may have been from other things, but I am sure DXM is what started it or brought it out more. If you really like the stuff and think your going to want to do it a lot, I would try to make sure to do it no more then once a week.

Although that's what I set for myself and that didn't last to long =p. So just be really careful with it.

Wow I didn't know people abused DXM so often. I would reccomend not using any drug for as long as you can. Of course, this is going to vary with drugs (i.e. its easy to drink 3 or 4 times a week but hard to dose acid that many times).

Thats one drug ive personally seen hurt people in a short amount of time of high usage. Some people dont see the negative effects that quickly, some do (as 3cho's post pointed out). I recommend not doing it more than once every couple of months, and thats being honest.

when I use dxm too often (dosing 3times or more a week) I usually get the same reaction
week 1
usually involves general spacyness and some problems with speaking (either stuttering slightly or slurring of words)

week 2
ill start to have serious problems with verbalizing my thoughts, more exaggerated stutter and slur(when I sense myself stutter I usually just stop mid-word, and end up forcing a really slurred version of that word rather than stuttering till I get it) my sex drive goes through the roof, but its damn near impossible to cum before I completely wear out my girl and I’m totally exhausted too(reaching an orgasm past this point should be regarded as a miracle that makes parting the red sea seem "neat" in comparison) ego inflation becomes pretty noticeable during week 2 and delusions of grandeur should be expected.

week 3
inner dialogue becoming almost completely conceptual except for the simplest thoughts. converting what your thinking into words is near impossible, and when you do come up with something to say, it will be so slurred that you will be envying the oratory abilities of people with downs syndrome. usually your ego will be inflated enough for you to start believing that you're omnipotent or at least find yourself controlling the events of your life without doing anything but thinking.

week 3 is about the limit for me, because by this time I am completely unable to function socially and am so delusional that I invariably will have fucked up my life enough to require that I stop using dxm, not that I’m capable of obtaining any more at this point unless I have bought bulk, tolerance really becomes an issue and you can make it to week 3 staying on second plateau doses, but to keep going into week 4 requires doses so large that 3rd or 4th plateau tripping will be going on all day every day until you hit sigma, usually this results in some extremely dangerous or at least foolish behavior that will cause you to be baby sat by friends for the few days it takes to come down, or if no one steps in to stop you, a trip to the psych ward is inevitable.

I’ve gone to week 3 three times, ended up in the psych ward for 3 days the first time, the second time I was lucky enough to run out at the end of week 3 and just had a bunch of strained/damaged relationships with everyone I knew and completely fucked grades in school. the third time, I ran out in the third week and ended up getting evicted from my dorm room.

the effects of these binges gradually taper off, but the omnipotence lasts for at least a few months, I regain the ability to speak and form sentences within a week, and the sex drive drops off within a week too.

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions you would like answered

tiger-bunny said:
when I use dxm too often (dosing 3times or more a week) I usually get the same reaction
week 1
usually involves general spacyness and some problems with speaking (either stuttering slightly or slurring of words)

week 2
ill start to have serious problems with verbalizing my thoughts, more exaggerated stutter and slur(when I sense myself stutter I usually just stop mid-word, and end up forcing a really slurred version of that word rather than stuttering till I get it) my sex drive goes through the roof, but its damn near impossible to cum before I completely wear out my girl and I’m totally exhausted too(reaching an orgasm past this point should be regarded as a miracle that makes parting the red sea seem "neat" in comparison) ego inflation becomes pretty noticeable during week 2 and delusions of grandeur should be expected.

week 3
inner dialogue becoming almost completely conceptual except for the simplest thoughts. converting what your thinking into words is near impossible, and when you do come up with something to say, it will be so slurred that you will be envying the oratory abilities of people with downs syndrome. usually your ego will be inflated enough for you to start believing that you're omnipotent or at least find yourself controlling the events of your life without doing anything but thinking.

week 3 is about the limit for me, because by this time I am completely unable to function socially and am so delusional that I invariably will have fucked up my life enough to require that I stop using dxm, not that I’m capable of obtaining any more at this point unless I have bought bulk, tolerance really becomes an issue and you can make it to week 3 staying on second plateau doses, but to keep going into week 4 requires doses so large that 3rd or 4th plateau tripping will be going on all day every day until you hit sigma, usually this results in some extremely dangerous or at least foolish behavior that will cause you to be baby sat by friends for the few days it takes to come down, or if no one steps in to stop you, a trip to the psych ward is inevitable.

I’ve gone to week 3 three times, ended up in the psych ward for 3 days the first time, the second time I was lucky enough to run out at the end of week 3 and just had a bunch of strained/damaged relationships with everyone I knew and completely fucked grades in school. the third time, I ran out in the third week and ended up getting evicted from my dorm room.

the effects of these binges gradually taper off, but the omnipotence lasts for at least a few months, I regain the ability to speak and form sentences within a week, and the sex drive drops off within a week too.

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions you would like answered

All I have to say is holy shit. I think you seriously need to quit DXM for good. I can't believe that you have gone on multi-week DXM benders with horrific consequences and have done it again!

NEVER! DXM RUINED MY LIFE, 3 HOSPITAL TRIPS, A WEEK IN A TEENAGE MENTAL INSTITUTION, AND EXPULSION FROM MY SCHOOL. Smoking weed on dxm is extremely risky, because they both raise heart rate, and make paranoia much more likely, which has lead to 2 panic attacks for me. It also makes you a lot more dissociated, and made me manic depressive when I was sober days after using which can lead to doing stupid shit like cutting yourself in a high school lunchroom in front of 400 people yelling fuck the world (November 3, 2003) If your going to use it, make your you dont use anything else with it, and dont do it more than every other week. I am permanently more anti social and dissociated than i used to be, my past use of dxm has today left me like a hermit. I do everything by myself, and I'm alone most of the time, but I love it, because the parts of my brain that control feelings and emotions dont work as well as they used to.

2-4 weeks, although if the temptation is to great, try to keep it to at LEAST 1 week, and don't do it every week very often...

And the only way it raises your heart rate is from a panic attack, and DXM also calmed me personally.

Smoking weed can give you a bit of paranoia/panic, that's why you only take 1-2 hits your first time smoking DXM on weed, no matter how much of a stoner you think you are, until you're used to it and sure of the combo, and then it opens up a world of smoking bowl after bowl of weed on DXM and feeling as godly as taking an opiate (until you do DXM too much and the combo no longer feels euphoric, then you go back to opiates).

And yeah, I'm gonna get a bunch of people coming in here calling BS, but when I first started DXM+weed, it was every bit as euphoric as Percocet, and I had done percocet (30mg), etc. before doing DXM or DXM+weed.

Using too much of any substance can cause depression and all around negative things. I think the fact that your asking how often you should be using (insert substance here) is a good reason to abstain from using any substances at all.

NEVER! DXM RUINED MY LIFE, 3 HOSPITAL TRIPS, A WEEK IN A TEENAGE MENTAL INSTITUTION, AND EXPULSION FROM MY SCHOOL. Smoking weed on dxm is extremely risky, because they both raise heart rate, and make paranoia much more likely, which has lead to 2 panic attacks for me. It also makes you a lot more dissociated, and made me manic depressive when I was sober days after using which can lead to doing stupid shit like cutting yourself in a high school lunchroom in front of 400 people yelling fuck the world (November 3, 2003) If your going to use it, make your you dont use anything else with it, and dont do it more than every other week. I am permanently more anti social and dissociated than i used to be, my past use of dxm has today left me like a hermit. I do everything by myself, and I'm alone most of the time, but I love it, because the parts of my brain that control feelings and emotions dont work as well as they used to.

I completely agree, this very much happened to me, not the bottom half. The last time i did DXM at around 10 o clock in the morning and i had a great day , it lasts about 24 hours for me ( low affects at end). I took 30 pills 15 mg each ( i only way 115 pounds as i am 15 years old). At around 8 oclock i decided to smoke a joint with my bud. when i came back inside i wwas wwatching tv, about 20 min later i stood up to go to bed. every thing was SO slow. vision was impared. I went to my bed and couldnt fall asleep. My heart beat started racing sofast, which got me extremely scared. The worst part was when i started to think about life, i could not comprehend anything. I didnt believelife was real. 2 months lateri almost still dont, i cannot explain the horrible horrible night i had, Making up my decision to quit all drugs. I was so scared, it made me want to die. The next month i had horrible depersonnalization, when i went outside i thought everything was a movie. Nothing madesence, i became so depressed and anti social . Life started turning upside down, even now 2 months later, typing this dosnt seem real, i cant understand anything, i REALLYwant this to wear off. I hate life right now.

tl;dr - NEVER DO , ESPESCIaLLY WITH WEED!!!

I used DXM everyday for two years and I have had no problems, usually 480-960mg a night. When I stopped using so much I did encounter the WORST physical withdrawal ever though. The same or worse symptoms than stopping opiates. It did tend to cloud my judgment until about a month after I stopped using it. I use it about 2-3 times a week now and I am fine. It has been about 3 or 4 years now and I have not noticed any negative effects.

ive used dxm heavily, getting up to 100grams at a time and using the lot in benders, more frequently 25 grams and 50 grams tho.

My friends say im useless on it, and there probably right. i would do probably 5 4th plateau doses a week, not on purpose but becuase i just forgot how much id taken and frequently found myself in "non reality land". the worst times were when i smoked weed, i literally feel like im on fire when i do. the last time i did dxm and weed together, i went into some other place that i would only describe as hell. i was burning up and met my other friend in the room at "the nexus point" between our realities and he was really great in helping me down, luckily id crushed up 4mg of xanax and railed it just after the burning effect otherwise i dont think my heart could of taken that amount of beats and pressure for too long.... havent touched it since, and probably a month or 2 on, im a little better and for some reason that bad trip is still fresh enough in my mind to stop me from taking psychedelics EVER again.

I really loved DXM too. it was a love as strong as opiates for sure, but now its like an ex i must not stoop so low as to go back to. best way i can put it.

I get the feeling from this thread that many bad experiences with DXM come from underestimating it. DXM is a powerful drug. Sure, depersonalisation and ego-loss can be enjoyable, but only if you know what you're getting yourself in for. If you're just after a cheap buzz then DXM isn't for you. DXM can be a great tool for exploring your mind, but the caveat is that it's a very intense experience and one not to be taken lightly.

To the OP, it depends what you're after. As some have suggested, 3rd 4th and sigma plateau trips, then you're going to want to wait at least a month. 1st and 2nd plateau trips then maybe one week but probably two.But again, make sure you know what you're getting yourself in for, as you can see above, those who got the more powerful aspects of a DXM trip didn't find them particularly enjoyable and in some cases it caused them a great deal of harm. In the end it's up to you though, it's your body.

Personally I don't do anything more than a 2nd plateau and usually wait a few weeks. DXM feels particularly hard on the body so one can only imagine how hard it is physically on the brain.

another part of the william white FAQ metions a part of the brain DXM affects, which is used to encode speech and voice and the like which is very interesting for me, as when im in high DXM plateaus, its not unusual to hear the same word, like "yeah" being repeated over and over again in my head, but in a range of tones from different people like my dad, my mates and yes, even my inner monologue! it ranges from a soft yeah that i would reply to a request to do something like clean up my mess to a "yeah!!!?? said in the middle of a screaming match... its really bizzare, but it feels like my brain has categorized all the different words and sounds iver ever heard in to order and is just doing some reorganising. this can last into going to sleep later on as mild auditory hallucinations.

ive used dxm heavily, getting up to 100grams at a time and using the lot in benders, more frequently 25 grams and 50 grams tho.

That's impossible, and very ridiculous to say. I hope you meant different numbers and a smaller scale of weight, not grams, maybe mg's you meant? I just thought I have to say something because taking 25grams 50 grams or 100grams at once of DXM would kill you no doubt. Your liver would fail, and you would die no possibility of surviving. End of story.

If you need proper dosages here ya go:

FROM EROWID.ORG DXM DOSAGES:

Oral DXM Dosages
Threshold unknown
Light 100 - 200 mg
Common 200 - 400 mg
Strong 300 - 600 mg
Heavy 600 - 1500 mg
Risk of Death 2,500 - 20,000 mg 1
Duration : 4 - 8 hours

Note risk of death is listed as low as 2,500mgs to 20,000mgs. That's 2.5grams to 20grams (a very large gap yes, but nonetheless it proves my point). I would not recommend taking anything near 2,500mg's or higher at all. And fluxy, I would recommend getting your facts straight before posting any bullshit like that again. You will end up not only looking very stupid for saying something that someone may follow and die from, but also I would personally see too it you were banned if you continued to post false bullshit like you did in this thread. This is a harm reduction site, and harm reduction *ONLY* is what you should be helping others with, or don't help them at all. Sorry for being so hard on this, but it had to be said, and I felt the need to do so.

So everyone please do not take the dosages fluxy said he took, they are insanely high overdoses that would no doubt lead to death 100percent sure of that. Definitely no chance of ever surviving that much DXM, no chance at all I can't stress that enough!

-dp

Status
Not open for further replies.