• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are IQ tests a TRUE measure of "intelligence?"

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
After reading a story on MSN which seemed to me totally fuckin stupid and ignorant, it made me wonder.

The story was that "smart people (what they defined as people with high IQ's)live longer and are healthier."

It said that the higher IQ someone has, the more likely they were to have a good life, because of that they would have better health, and because of that have a longer life span.
it struck me as ignorant because most of the people who have opportunities to be "smart" have that smartness nourished thru a good school system/education, and people around them who encourage them.

Of course people with less education are gonna have shittier lives.

But, that aint my main question here, so try to read that as the intro, not as the topic, or shits gonna get confusing. Thats just what inspired me to post here.

Is the idea of measuring IQ flawed? Like inherently flawed?

I think it is and i will tell you why.

IQ tests do not measure intelligence, the same as the SAT dont measure intelligence.

A IQ test, is a set of questions of "simple knowledge" meant to determine someones intelligence quotient which to me means their mental capacity. the ability their brain has to learn and understand.

BUT

The IQ test is made up of questions that are material learned in schools. it is made of questions that someone would have to have a particular amount of education to answer correctly.

Now, HOW can you say, that someone with no education is STUPID? Their brain itself COULD hold the capacity to amaze people with its abilities, but without the education to unlock that, they would be considered stupid and unintelligent.

This just seems to proove my idea: (from a website on IQ)
"For IQs below 120, IQ is the best predictor of socioeconomic status. People with IQs between 75 and 90 are 88 times more likely to drop out of high school, seven times more likely to be jailed, and five times more likely as adults to live in poverty than people with IQs between 110 and 125. The 75-to-90 IQ woman is eight times more likely to become a chronic welfare recipient, and four times as likely to bear an illegitimate child than the 110-to-125-IQ woman."

Now to me, thats basically saying youre in poverty because youre stupid. or that these things happen to you because you got a low IQ. Which is obviously twisted and untrue.

Did it ever dawn on the people making the study, that the people already in poverty have a SHITTY EDUCATION? that would make the IQ test slanted againt them, since its made up of questions that someone would need a certain amount of education to understand.

It aint measuring someones ability to learn. its measuring their education, and WHAT things they have learned, just like the SAT and other tests.

if you took some African tribesman who never learned any of the shit they teach in schools, and gave him a IQ test, (in his language) he would probably score as mentally retarded. Why, because the questions are based off of the idea that people already have a certain level of education and that "everyone should know that" or that certain shit is hardwired into peoples brains or something. or that everyone had the opportunity to learn something. But,
The fact is, not everyone DOES know this shit, and it aint because they are stupid or unintelligent, its because they werent TAUGHT it yet.

how are you gonna call someone dumb for not understanding something if they never learned it?

How can you gauge someones intelligence by a test that is skewed to favor someone who has learned the questions on it?

Why is "intelligence" measured in math problems? HOW can a test of simple questions mostly made up of information in math, science, and word problems like analogies and shit, which takes instruction to understand, even PRETEND to measure the raw abilities of someones mind?

There could be someone whose gonna discover the cure to cancer scrappin it somewhere in a shitty ghetto with a shitty teacher, reading 3 grades below his age level, and a IQ test would prolly put him in the borderline retarted range. so no one would pay him no attention and all that POTENTIAL, ABILITY, CAPACITY, that the brain has the POSSIBLITY to reach, would never be realized.

For example, one question on a IQ test (not a internet IQ test but one given in a psych. doctors office so yes its 'legit') was "How many senators are there in the US?"

HOW the hell can you say someones INTELLIGENCE, not book learning, but actual ability to learn, is based on if they know how many senators there are? for real.

IMO a IQ test is extremely biased just because of the ridiculous idea that everyone knows certain shit, not beacuse they were taught it but that somehow anyone "smart" would know it.

They gotta have a guideline for SOME way to measure, i know, and most people would see quizzing someone on shit that is considered general knowledge as the logical way to do that, but i really dont think its fair to assume that people automatically know it, OR that it even measures intelligence. intelligence and your mental capacity - that is, just how far your brain is capable of going, has nothing to do with whether you can do long division.

What yall think about all this?

i agree with you, IQ tests simply measure youre ability to do an IQ test.

i knew some IQ test were a bit silly with regards to takin certain knowweledge for granted but 'how many senators are there?' i've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, thats on an official test? i live in the UK all i know about senators is there are some in starwars and George Galloway went over there (US) and pissed some senators off. so i would not have done well in that test. but one internet test recently put y IQ at 152 ( it also offered me an in depth analysis of my IQ if i got my credit card out so i talkin that with a kilo of salt) i then did it again an got a 160 so thats shows i increased my IQ in th espace of 20 minutes. its bollocks. I did another IQ test, an 'official mensa one and got a score of 138 and i did another online one to find out how id managed to lose so much inteligence and i got a score of 125.

and statistics showing a link between IQ and life expectancy are fundamenmtally flwed even if you coudl accurately guage someone IQ ,if such a thing even exists:p

i'm gonna make my own test up. 8(

Intelligence tests should not be civics quizzes or aptitude tests (SAT). If you have come across IQ tests like this then they certainly are not reliable measures of intelligence. Take a look at the WAIS; it's an established test that does produce similar scores within and between groups. There are arguments that even legit IQ tests are culturally biased, and anyone who claims that people are necessarily on welfare because they're stupid is making a ridiculous logical leap--I suspect the claim here has been taken out of context. Environment does affect intelligence. Only children really are more intelligent on average, presumably from more attention during the crucial stages of neurodevelopment as infants, same with the rich, presumably from increased intellectual stimulation and greater nutrition. IQ tests must make the assumption that those taking the tests have had some degree of education simply because it is very difficult to come up with questions that can measure a diverse range of mental abilities without borrowing from the intellectual realm. A high IQ does not mean great common sense, a high emotional quotient, practical ambition, nor, obviously, a high "athletic IQ"; however, tests show that a high IQ score on an established test typically generalizes to a broad range of intellectual endeavors. The most intriguing advancement I've seen in this area is the use of MRI to measure the efficiency of the brains use of energy to determine intelligence; don't know that it panned out or not though...

an IQ test is good but only for IQ, which so happens to be valued highly in todays society and scoring well on one is a fairly good indicator of that particular part of you.

however, it is my opinion that everyone is born a genious, just at different things, and your level of realization of that thing is how genious you really are.

for example: noone doubts that einstine was a genious, but try to get him to write a great fantasy book. what if he was born in the newtonian days? classical physics were just being esablished so his insight into quantum mechanics would be viewed as lunicy and he would be labled "stupid"

>>The IQ test is made up of questions that are material learned in schools. it is made of questions that someone would have to have a particular amount of education to answer correctly.>>

to a large extent, proper IQ tests are designed to present problems that do NOT depend on material learned in school. To a large extent, their design is a failure in this respect.

>>This just seems to proove my idea: (from a website on IQ)
"For IQs below 120, IQ is the best predictor of socioeconomic status. People with IQs between 75 and 90 are 88 times more likely to drop out of high school, seven times more likely to be jailed, and five times more likely as adults to live in poverty than people with IQs between 110 and 125. The 75-to-90 IQ woman is eight times more likely to become a chronic welfare recipient, and four times as likely to bear an illegitimate child than the 110-to-125-IQ woman.">>

This is way interesting. What happens for IQs above 125?

ebola

But what im asking is, how can it give a general idea of intelligence, if intelligence is viewed as one particular thing that depends on answering certain questions that do not in themselves measure intelligence?

People aint just BORN with certain problem solving abilities, and also, in schools, they are not only taught problem solving skills, but also a certain METHOD of problem solving skills. not only do they learn the skills themselves but also that "this is how its done."

so someone who had a learning disability like dyslexia or some shit, which got nothing to do with intelligence, would definately have a hard time taking a IQ test and score low, when dyslexics' intelligence is a lot of times actually higher than average.

i just think its pretty damn skewed.

Since to me it is not just a "Intelligence Test" but a "Intelligence Quotient Test", that means it is supposed to measure the brains CAPACITY TO BE INTELLIGENT, the potential, and not necessarily how "smart" you ARE. maybe im wrong. but either way, i dont think you can say it gives a general idea of intelligence, straight up. i think that would be more accurate if you said it gives a general idea of intelligence of someone who has a certain level of education, assuming that the group you are using to meaure all had the same opportunities to learn the material on the test.

My main problem with it here, and the tests lack of objectivity, is that it SHOULD be able to be used to compare across all groups and classes, but it cant. you really couldnt give a IQ test to a class of highschool students from the Queensbridge projects and a IQ test to a clas of highschool students from Beverly Hills and compare them. so to me that shows a bias or at least some holes in the whole idea behind the test in the first place that the test is a good measure of someones intelligence and not education.

lacey k said:
But what im asking is, how can it give a general idea of intelligence, if intelligence is viewed as one particular thing that depends on answering certain questions that do not in themselves measure intelligence?
the whole question depends on your definition of intelligence.

how would you define intelligence?

alasdair

People aint just BORN with certain problem solving abilities

true, but to some people it just comes more naturaly, and that is what an IQ test is supposed to help determine.

IQ tests (or any standardized intelligence test for that matter) are not designed to measure intelligence. These tests are designed to measure what authority defines as intelligent.

Therefore, I am not surprised that people with higher IQ scores lead happier lives, because their mode of intelligence conforms more with the standards set by those we gave the authority to determine what intelligence is, and the more status-quo approves of you, the easier your life will be...

Heh.

Last edited:
To further flesh that out, proper IQ tests are moderately predictive of later scholastic performance. That's about it.

ebola

^^ That's pretty much what I meant lacey, although ebola with his fancy Berkeley words phrased it better. :)

lacey k said:
Now to me, thats basically saying youre in poverty because youre stupid. or that these things happen to you because you got a low IQ. Which is obviously twisted and untrue.

While not everyone who is in poverty is unintelligent, it only makes sense that less intelligent people are more likely to be in poverty. After all, high paying jobs require intelligence, and usually a higher education. People who aren't smart simply don't have the abilities to hold such a job, thus they have to take lower paying jobs. Similarly, people with low intelligence are also generally less likely to make good decisions. Therefore, they are in a greater risk of having unplanned children, abusing alcohol and other drugs, or simply making destructive decisions, which hinder wealth.

On the broader subject of IQ, I think that IQ tests are fairly reliable, provided they are standardized for that population. So therefore, you shouldn't give the same test, or even a similar test, to a white, middle class American that you should give to a native of the Amazon.

>>While not everyone who is in poverty is unintelligent, it only makes sense that less intelligent people are more likely to be in poverty.>>

At the same time, poverty itself is STRONGLY implicated in influencing IQ (often mediated by factors such as quality of schools or how much time and resources parents can afford to invest in their children).

>>People who aren't smart simply don't have the abilities to hold such a job, thus they have to take lower paying jobs. >>

Do you think the average professional-managerial job actually demands extremely high levels of native intelligence (whatever we define that as)?

>>Therefore, they are in a greater risk of having unplanned children, abusing alcohol and other drugs, or simply making destructive decisions, which hinder wealth.>>

At the same time, poverty itself is implicated in influencing birth rates and substance abuse.

>>On the broader subject of IQ, I think that IQ tests are fairly reliable>>

They are reliable, but are they valid? And if they're valid, what do they measure?

>>ebola with his fancy Berkeley words phrased it better.>>

LOL...I been throwin' around deez words since high school, son.

ebola

IAmJacksUserName said:
While not everyone who is in poverty is unintelligent, it only makes sense that less intelligent people are more likely to be in poverty. After all, high paying jobs require intelligence, and usually a higher education. People who aren't smart simply don't have the abilities to hold such a job, thus they have to take lower paying jobs. Similarly, people with low intelligence are also generally less likely to make good decisions. Therefore, they are in a greater risk of having unplanned children, abusing alcohol and other drugs, or simply making destructive decisions, which hinder wealth.

And you believe that the cause of this is NATURAL LACK of intelligence, that the people were put in that position not by their life circumstances, but by their INTELLIGENCE?

Youre totally missing the point that POVERTY=HORRIBLE EDUCATION and HORRIBLE EDUCATION is mainly what causes all these problems you talk about.

It is not that "people who aint smart dont have the ablities to hold such a job" are you fuckin insane?

Its that people who aint "smart" (read: didnt get a good EDUCATION) cant hold those jobs because they dont have the OPPORTUNITIES to get to that level!! it has nothing to do with their intelligence!

Im sorry its just blowing my mind right now that someone could believe that poor=dumb, rich=smart, and that its just inherent in your brain.

With no disrespect, you must be very naieve to believe that the reason someone is poor is because they are not smart enough to get a higher paying job, so theyre forced to take a menial job which makes them poor. youre ignoring the facts of poverty itself which means you either dont undersatnd it, dont want to, or have no experience with it and couldnt even begin to comprehend how far behind it sets you in life.

I think many of you are neglecting the fact that some people are born innately more intelligent than others. This is the factor that IQ tests are *meant* to measure. Whether they do that or not is certainly up for debate, but I wouldn't toss the good tests right out the window...

Education most definitely plays a factor in what most people would define as "intelligence," and *some* problem solving skills can be taught, but I posit that some people are way better at solving problems than others naturally, regardless of level of education. I taught myself to read by the time I was three years old. I had no schooling whatsoever, so how do you explain why I was able to do that and other kids weren't? There are some innate abilities that must be addressed.

And for the record, the IQ tests I've seen have been pretty unbiased. There were few to no questions regarding material that would have been learned in school. It was largely pattern recognition, memory function, and ability to put things in sequential order based on logic that were tested.

^ But see, "innately more intelligent" by whose standards?

Oh some people are smarter than other people no doubt. but i just think that to generalize like the test is a good, accurate measure aint taking into account all the other factors of a persons brain and real life intelligence.....

ive asked a couple psych. doctors that i been to in my life about IQ tests and they were like fuck that shit, its garbage in the long run anyways, knowing your IQ tends to limit you more than anything.

the shit aint even accurate, my uncle has took the test a couple times, same test, but different days and scored totally different on a bad day than on a good day. theres way too much room for errors IMO....

i understand its MEANT to be general but it really aint all its cracked up to be, the score really dont mean much.....

ill tell you this, when i wasn in 6th grade they sent me this package thing cuz i got good scores on the standardized tests. i did bad in school cuz i never did any homework and thought school was fuckin stupid. but i scored high on the standardized tests they gave every year so they put me on some talented gifted shit or whatever. it was this thing for kids to take the SAT's in 7th grade. nah not the PSAT's but the actual SAT's.

i dont really understand why they did it or what the point was and i really didnt give a shit but my mom bribed me to take it. so i took it when i was 12 and i took it again when i was 13 (bribed again). i did good on it, i dont really know what a good score for that test is for that age but thats what they told me.

after 9th grade i dropped out of school and never took the SATs as a student of the age that youre actually supposed to take it at. andi never will, to me its a stupid number.

but i will admit im pretty fuckin stupid when it comes to math,and a lot of people here think im stupid, but i just dont care about school and learning the stupid shit that they teach there. some people could see me as smart, or stupid, depending on what they look at. its like that for a lot of people especially the ones who dont fuckin care about the shit theyre supposed to care about. most of the shit i got in trouble for in school was (other than a attitude problem) just because i wasnt fitting into their system.

the IQ test is a lot like that for me, and
IQ tests (or any standardized intelligence test for that matter) are not designed to measure intelligence. These tests are designed to measure what authority defines as intelligent.

Therefore, I am not surprised that people with higher IQ scores lead happier lives, because their mode of intelligence conforms more with the standards set by those we gave the authority to determine what intelligence is, and the more status-quo approves of you, the easier your life will be...
and ebola and waco's responses are pretty much what im tryina say too....

ebola? said:
At the same time, poverty itself is STRONGLY implicated in influencing IQ (often mediated by factors such as quality of schools or how much time and resources parents can afford to invest in their children).

I'm not denying that environment can influence IQ. Nor am I denying that everyone should be assigned the same test. When they gave African American inner city kids IQ tests in Ebonics, they scored better. In that case, they made an IQ test that appropiately accomodated them, thus it was a better reflection upon their intelligence.

ebola? said:
Do you think the average professional-managerial job actually demands extremely high levels of native intelligence (whatever we define that as)?

Again, I never claimed that smart people always have higher paying jobs. All I said was that people who lack intelligence are more likely to find themselves in a position to be impoverished. I can observe this in my own surroundings. The area I grew up in was largely lower-middle class/upper-lower class. Many of my classmates in school were, quite frankly, not the brightest knives in the drawer. In school, I'd watch them struggle with concepts that came naturally to me. The function school served for them wasn't to learn academic material, but to put them in a setting where they'd have to learn the reality of getting up in the morning and fulfilling their responsibilities. If I were to see them in their careers, they'd probably be working blue collar jobs that don't pay a whole lot of money, but is enough for them to live by. Other people who've gone to that high school went on to colleges such as Georgetown, Middlebury, and Yale. Of course, where I grew up is a far cry from say, Harlem or South Central, but my point is that these people I went to school with just weren't capable of getting a job that would pay them a whole lot. And a few of these people probably have/will become impoverished.

ebola? said:
At the same time, poverty itself is implicated in influencing birth rates and substance abuse.
Again, I'm not disputing that.

Lacey, you don't seem to understand my point, so I'm at a loss as to how to respond. Hopefully, my answers to ebola's concerns will help you understand what I tried to say. If not, I'll spell it out here: I think that intelligence does influence the liklihood of someone being in poverty. There are countless factors that influence that liklihood that you could write a book about and still miss most of them. But we're not talking substance abuse, racism, teenage pregnecy, etc., we're discussing intelligence, and I'm sharing my belief that intelligence is one factor in that. On the validity of IQ tests: I think that an IQ test that is specifically designed for a population is valid. That is, someone who's attended public school should have learned that there are 100 senators, and whether they picked up on this should be an indicator of verbal IQ. If they honestly never learned that, then yes, there is a problem, and the tests should compensate (And nowhere did I say that IQ tests were infallable). Then again, the IQ test was invented to predict academic performance, not life success, the latter being completely subjective.

I was tempted to mention the heritability of intelligence, but since we're not discussing that, I won't go there unless someone brings it up.