• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

People binge drink ‘to get high’

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
“Young people use alcohol as a substance and no longer drink socially. Alcohol is consumed for the effect and the experience it gives, and not to enjoy a bottle of wine,” said guest speaker Dr Emanuele Scafato during a conference on binge drinking yesterday.

Dr Scafato, the director and senior researcher at the Istituto Superiore di Sanita in Rome, said that drinking trends are changing in Italy. Females in the 18 to 24 age bracket are shifting away from wine and consuming more beer and aperitifs. The same sector is drinking alcohol between meals and in larger quantities.

According to the figures he provided, in 1996, 21,000 people underwent treatment for alcohol abuse while the number increased to 51,000 in 2003.

People from all walks of life attended the conference, entitled Binge Drinking - A Modern Lifestyle? Emerging trends and culture, organised by the Family and Social Solidarity Ministry and Agenzija Sedqa. The conference analysed the social, physical, psychological, legal and ethical implications of such emerging trends.

The most important fact about binge drinking is that the person concerned takes a conscious decision to become drunk and lose control, said Sedqa Division coordinator of alcohol services Manual Mangani. Mr Mangani and clinical director of Sedqa George Grech presented a joint paper titled The True Face of Binging.

Binge drinking is defined as the consumption of five or more drinks over a short period of time, with the intention of getting drunk.

International definitions of binge drinking vary from country to country. For example, in Finland, drinking six bottles of beer is considered to binge drink, while in the UK binge drinking is defined as 10 units of alcohol for men and seven units of alcohol for women.

Although the quantities are different at face value, if one looks closely the units of alcohol are almost the same, Mr Mangani pointed out.

He mentioned a study carried out locally a few years ago, which established that over 23 per cent of fatal traffic accidents in Malta were alcohol related. “On average, there are five or six deaths a year related to drink driving,” said Mr Mangani.

There is a general consensus condemning underage drinking but most people act in a manner which opposes their words, said Assistant Commissioner Michael Cassar.

“We need to go to the roots of the problem,” he said. “It is not enough to condemn underage drinking when it is so deeply ingrained in our culture.

“Malta has a high number of alcoholics but few people really care about it until it hits their home,” he added. “For example for most people, the village feasts are nothing but an excuse to get drunk.”

Education is extremely important and must be extended to the owners of drinking establishments and their employees, making reference to outlets that sell alcohol to people under 16 years of age.

“Enforcement is very important especially where underage drinking is concerned, but it is not enough,” said Mr Cassar. “It has to be followed by an adequate punishment to prevent the person from committing the crime again.”

At the moment, the fine for a first conviction ranges between Lm50 and Lm500, and the fine for a second conviction ranges between Lm100 and Lm1,000.

“Binge drinking is a negative investment in the future,” said Mr Cassar. “Unless it is tackled, there will be more drink-driving, accidents, crime or work-related accidents.”

In his address, Dr Grech said that “four per cent of the deaths worldwide are due to alcohol and these can be prevented.”

A small number of those who binge drink might become alcoholics later on in life. “Some of the youths who binge drink simply do it for the buzz,” said Dr Grech.

Underage binge drinking usually starts at 13, increases during adolescence and peaks in adulthood after which it gradually decreases.

Dr Grech added that people who binge drink or who are heavy drinkers have more problems with their social relationships and with their family.

“More aggressive intervention is needed to address the trend of young people who are binge drinking - we need to catch them when they are young,” said Dr Grech.

The current programmes focus on people with chronic alcohol problems. Programmes directed towards youths need to be created and evaluated. Unfortunately binge drinking causes a number of health risks: death through vomit inhalation, head injuries, increased sexual activity leading to unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

“More and more people are binge drinking and using drugs such as cocaine and ecstasy simultaneously. This is no longer a matter of one-off parties but is taking place regularly, in village feasts for example: either in the portable toilets or in the band club,” said Dr Grech.

Sedqa operations director Jean Claude Cardona called for stricter legislation on alcohol in Malta. “There is the need for a change in current legislation and a strong law enforcement structure to back it up,” he said.

A theme which emerged from the conference was the need of a more concerted effort between all the stakeholders involved: parents, educators, treatment and prevention agencies, health authorities along with an adequate law enforcement system.

“Education plays a major role in preventing young people from alcohol abuse,” said manager of Sedqa’s primary prevention services Paul Pace.

Foundation for Social Welfare Services CEO Joe Gerada pointed out that underage drinking is not an accidental phenomenon and that it is due to a number of factors inciting young people to do so.

“Parents have to be aware of this and measures against the exploitation of young people must be taken from all quarters,” he said. “I propose for the legal age for alcohol consumption to be raised to 18 and that those who are caught drinking and selling alcohol (to under-age people) have to be held responsible for their actions.”

---------------------------------------------------
People binge drink ‘to get high’
by Juan Ameen
Jan 28/06
http://217.145.4.56/ind/news.asp?newsitemid=27407

shit, people drink to get drunk now? what the fuck is this world coming to? i bet next people will be doing drugs because they 'enjoy how it makes them feel'.

^^^ HHAHAHAH! well said =D
btw i thought doing cocaine while on e killed ur roll?
Isn't it obvious that ppl will drink 2 get drunk? especially kids seeing as a large number of them are irresponsible and do not care about the consequences?

drink up :p%)

"People binge drink ‘to get high’ "... in other news, people still looking both ways to cross street safely and breathing to stay alive.

Personally I think alcohol is one of the filthiest substances consumed on this planet and really do pity those people who think its nice to get smashed on it. I used to hug toilets all the time and realised I had an ADDICTION- hence quit. Now two years later I can have a quite drink and be happy with that. Just because society says everyones doing it and everyone IS doing it does NOT make it ok.

Ask yourself if everything really is better when you're drunk... or is it only better because you have already BRAINWASHED yourself that it is. There is life after substance abuse! Keep it real.

Well that's good that you quit since you had an addiction... but yes getting drunk with friends is almost always a lot of fun if not hilarious fun, for me. I save it for weekends usually and have ZERO qualms about it. I can have a drink and be happy with it when its applicable... and hugging a toilet every so often can be a lil reminder of what works and what just aint cool.

I'm sorry you 'brainwashed' yourself by drinking, that's too bad.

Is alcohol water soluble? I would like to sniff it in order for the high to hit me faster.

Either that or can anyone please post a method of freebasing alcohol, I just got a new pipe and I wanted to smoke that shit.:p

what a horseshit article. people drink alcohol to get drunk as they have since alcohol was first discovered.

“Young people use alcohol as a substance and no longer drink socially."

The reason people drink socially is to get intoxicated the same they would if they were alone so why is that any better.

"Alcohol is consumed for the effect and the experience it gives, and notto enjoy a bottle of wine,”

Aren't the effects the and experiance the reason it is enjoyed. I don't think most people drink wine simply for the taste or they could just drink juice of something.

Most older folks don't consume alcohol with the intent to get drunk. Alcohol's place for many people is that of a social lubricant. This article is not addressed at you guys so look at it from an outside perspective.

I agree that anymore people just do drugs with no other intent than getting 'fucked up'. Any mind altering substance becomes nothing more than a means of getting fucked up (Dude, eat acid, it gets you totally fucked out of your mind!). I think its stupid but I won't bash on anyone else for doing so. This doesn't fit into, say, alcohol's historical context of being a social lubricant, and the associated amounts used to achieve this effect rarley cause harm outside of some already shitty drivers drinking such amounts and causing wrecks. On the other hand, people who get absolutly wasted everytime they decide to drink are the danger, both to themselves and others, and that is where the concern lies in this article.

What it comes down to is the motivation involved in consuming alcohol (in this case) and the results. 'Normally' (I know times are changing, they always are) people drank so they'd be more talkative and lax around friends/associates/whatever. Nowdays its much more about achieveing the more drastic effects of alcohol and seeing how fuckin' stupid you can be around a bunch of other people doing the same.

The title people binge drink to get high is ridiculous. Binge drinking has no other effect than taking sober and smashing it into stupid. I'd say most people drink a bottle of wine for the enjoyment. Someone drinking 15 Milwaukee Special Reserve
s is not drinking for the taste.

I want to know why people seem to think human behaviour has changed so dramatically. People are the same as they were 300 years ago and probably almost identical to people 5,000 years ago. Cultures have changed, but the reactions are generally going to be the same.

I think the whole fucking issue is the getting messed up part. People are afraid of a lack of control among other things. The cause of that is a lack of objective thinking. People see a pretty complex reaction/scenario and draw their conclusion what from they think they know.

"The new always carries with it the sense of violation, of sacrilege. What is dead is sacred what is new, that is different, is evil, dangerous, or subversive."
Henry Miller

The "new" could also be the unknown. The unknown causes fear in a lot of people. People want security and that means not questioning something which could cause more unknowns, more doubts.

Cilosyb… I'd say that acid has a much more profound use than alcohol. Alcohol quashes peoples' fears by robbing them of the capability to feel fear. Also the secondary responses to alcohol in the brain rewards it being there. I'd say acid does remove you from your mind, but in a selfless, ego-less way. Not the dopamine ego-drug, self-fulfillment way that alcohol does. I'd guess you probably agree just stating what I feel is an important distinction.

This article tries to put drinking in a negative light by equating it to illegal drugs. Alcohol is what it is. It is comparable but definitely not the same. The real concern is that binge drinking brings with it a lot of health problems. Wet brain anyone?

Peace,
PL

Vivid said:
Aren't the effects the and experiance the reason it is enjoyed. I don't think most people drink wine simply for the taste or they could just drink juice of something.

Having a dad who is a major wine person, I disagree. No non-alcoholic grape juice could ever hope to match the greatness of the taste of good wine. Why do you think people spend $100 on a bottle of wine when they could buy a bottle of cheap vodka with a much higher alcohol content for just a few bucks? A lot of people do drink for the flavor, guys.

^^^
This is very true, but it is difficult to argue that most young people (the subject of this article) drink alcoholic beverages for the flavor.

^Yeah, haha I'm one of those few young people that only likes alcohol when I'm able to have a few nice glasses of good bordeux grand cru wine.

shit, people drink to get drunk now? what the fuck is this world coming to? i bet next people will be doing drugs because they 'enjoy how it makes them feel'.
=D HAHA yeah well said man.