• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Internet Recipe For Tea Nearly Kills Teen - Angel's Trumpet Plant Can Be Hallucinogen

C10H12N2O

Greenlighter
http://www.local6.com/news/6269732/detail.html

Internet Recipe For Tea Nearly Kills Teen
Angel's Trumpet Plant Can Be Hallucinogenic

POSTED: 6:41 am EST January 20, 2006
UPDATED: 10:41 am EST January 20, 2006

A batch of homemade tea made from a common flower in Central Florida has left a 17-year-old Titusville, Fla., boy fighting for his life, according to a Local 6 News report.

David O'Bryan Taylor, known as Bryan, is at Florida Hospital in Orlando waiting to find out why his heart is misfiring and whether he'll need a pacemaker.

About two weeks ago, Taylor brewed a batch of tea from the leaves or flowers of an Angel's Trumpet to get high, according to Local 6 News partner Florida Today.

Taylor said he followed directions he found on the Internet and accidentally overdosed. The drink nearly killed him, according to the report.

"I'm scared to death for him," his mother, Gloria Ryle told Florida Today. "They wake him up at night because his heart skipped seven beats and he doesn't even know it."

The shrub-tree with trumpet-like flowers is common in Florida and occasionally has been controversial because of its use as a hallucinogen.

In 1995, the city of Maitland banned planting Angel's Trumpet after two teens there died after ingesting it. Locally, in 2000, two teens from Indian Harbour Beach were hospitalized after drinking the poisonous tea, according to the report.

Local law enforcement officers and others say they've seen only a few cases over the past decade, but one is too many.

"It's not very common at all, nor would we like it to be," said Titusville Police Department spokesman Warren Van Vuren.

Five years ago, the Centers for Disease Control reported that more than 230 people had died in one year from psychotropic drugs of all types in Florida, including Angel's Trumpet.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

David O'Bryan Taylor, known as Bryan, is at Florida Hospital in Orlando waiting to find out why his heart is misfiring and whether he'll need a pacemaker.

So there is a chance this tea has nothing to do with his heart misfiring?

kids dont do this shit....

my buddy did a whole bunch of jipsom weed one time....woke up in a hospital strapped down to a bed, with stuff stuck in him, and 1 hell of a hangover.

that was enough to scare me off..

theres a reason drug dealers do NOT sell this kinda stuff....stick to what ur dealer sells and youll be reasonably fine

p3n1x said:

my buddy did a whole bunch of jipsom weed one time....woke up in a hospital strapped down to a bed, with stuff stuck in him, and 1 hell of a hangover.

theres a reason drug dealers do NOT sell this kinda stuff....stick to what ur dealer sells and youll be reasonably fine

Datura is a deleriant (sp?), majority of the reports on Erowid are in the "Trainwrecks and Trip Disaster" area. They even have a warning when you go to read up on it.

It's not a recreational drug, and to anyone misinformed on it, is a disaster waiting to happen.

p3n1x said:

yea, uh, based on the article, id say kids do do this shit, since this particular kid clearly did do this shit

and since the 17 year old had no heart problems, drank the tea, and now has problems, id say the tea caused it.

dabluelitedude, I believe he meant "Kids, dont do this shit" as in ... telling them not to. I believe this because after reading the rest of the post I realised he knew someone who had a bad experience as well.

And 99% of people hospitalized with cancer owned a car. They didnt have cancer before owning a car, thus, cars cause cancer.

Also, how would the kid have known if his heart was skipping beats before he drank the tea? it is only afterwards that his ticker is being monitored.

But I cant believe people still drink that shit, I was a free-high chaser in highschool and even I turned that shit down.

There are much better ways to trip..

Why are people so desperate for a hallucinogenic experience that they ingest these weird, dangerous substances? A trip is not something you should be so hard up for.. it's not addictive or anything...

Also, from what I've heard, there are tons of good mushrooms growing all over Florida .. so this kid could've just gone out into a cow pasture and got a bunch of shrooms for free. If you wanna trip, take LSD or Shrooms, kids!

Vegan, you DONT want to know what its like. My friend drank some of that shit and was completly delusional, he had that freaked out i wish i were dead instead of feeling like this look on his face when we told him that he wasnt at a party, that he was the only person there besides me, and that he wasnt drinking a cup full of hennessey OR smoking a blount. That shit is worse for you than drinking OIL.

Not to mention it fried his fucking brain, for quite a while after he drank it.

Ram, absolutly right. You can ALWAYS get mushrooms in florida, half the year they are free, the other half the year they are cheaper than shwag.

This is what happens with prohibition. The proper drugs for having a safe trip are not to be found, leaving naive people to smoke/extract/steepe poisonous plants.

Yea! Go Drug War Go! :|

We all know that if that boy had done LSD he would have been fine and would not be in a hospital today.

lifeisforliving said:
This is what happens with prohibition. Yea! Go Drug War Go! :|

We all know that if that boy had done LSD he would have been fine and would not be in a hospital today.

Yea yea yea and yea again

zophen