View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

No evidence cough syrups work

Dondante

Bluelighter
No evidence cough syrups work: panel

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Over-the-counter cough medicines do little good and may harm children, U.S. experts said in new guidelines released on Monday.
Adults are better off using older nonprescription antihistamines and decongestants to stop the flow of mucus that causes the cough, the American College of Chest Physicians said in its guidelines.
"Cough is the number one reason why patients seek medical attention," Dr. Richard Irwin of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, who chaired the guidelines panel, said in a statement.
"There is no clinical evidence that over-the-counter cough expectorants or suppressants actually relieve cough," Irwin added.
"There is considerable evidence that older type antihistamines help to reduce cough, so, unless there are contraindications to using these medicines, why not take something that has been proven to work?"
Dr. Peter Dicpinigaitis, a panel member who runs a cough clinic at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York, said cough medications might help some patients. But they carry the risk of oversedation -- especially dangerous to children, he said in a telephone interview.
The older-generation antihistamines that work against cough include chlorpheniramine, he said. Newer, brand-name antihistamines such as Claritin and Zyrtec do not help coughs, Dicpinigaitis said.
RESOLVING ON ITS OWN
Under new guidelines, adults with acute cough or upper airway cough syndrome, commonly known as postnasal drip, should use an older variety of antihistamine with a decongestant.
And while coughs in children are worrisome and annoying, cough syrup is not the answer, Irwin said.
"Cough is very common in children. However, cough and cold medicines are not useful in children and can actually be harmful," he said. "In most cases, a cough that is unrelated to chronic lung conditions, environmental influences, or other specific factors, will resolve on its own."
The guidelines follow several studies that have suggested that nonprescription cough remedies do little more than offer comfort to desperate patients.
Researchers reported in July of 2004 that neither dextromethorphan, often listed on labels as DM, or diphenhydramine, an antihistamine, offered any more relief to children suffering from cough than sugar water.
The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, showed that children usually recovered quickly whatever the treatment.
Francis Sullivan, a spokesman for Wyeth Consumer Healthcare, which makes the popular cough treatment Robitussin, said he did not expect the guidelines to affect sales.
"The FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) has concluded that these drugs are safe and they work," Sullivan said in a telephone interview.
In general, analysts say, drug makers make more profit off their prescription products than on over-the-counter medications.
In 2000 the FDA warned against the use of common over-the- counter cold remedies and diet pills containing phenylpropanolamine or PPA after researchers found it raised the risk of stroke in women.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...8Z_01_KWA979346_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-COUGH-DC.XML

"Researchers reported in July of 2004 that neither dextromethorphan, often listed on labels as DM, or diphenhydramine, an antihistamine, offered any more relief to children suffering from cough than sugar water."

"Francis Sullivan, a spokesman for Wyeth Consumer Healthcare, which makes the popular cough treatment Robitussin, said he did not expect the guidelines to affect sales."

Hmmm... I think their sales will be just fine...;)

am I the only human who,

was COUGHING so much I nearly vomitted, and was grateful for cough syrup and No I sure as hell dont belive it was a placebo,

Fuck them for saying it doesnt CURE the cough etcetc that's not the point , it relieves human agony. a fine medicine in my book --- and oh yeah, fine recreational drug too.

this article contradicts itself of course dxm wouldnt stop the flow of mucus or cure a chesty cough it says right there on the label that its for dry raspy coughs

until some kid with rich enough parents dies from the shit i highly doubt its status as an easy to get hold of dissasociative will dissapear

hey this can be a good thing....

MORE TUSSIONEX FOR THE WORLD!

Bullshit! They're just trying to get rid of DXM
>.< Bastards! It's the best known cough suppresent available! ITS BEEN USED FOR SO MANY YEARS!

Tussin's spokespersons right tho, no ones gonna stop buying their stuff

Trey said:
>.< Bastards! It's the best known cough suppresent available! ITS BEEN USED FOR SO MANY YEARS!

Tussin's spokespersons right tho, no ones gonna stop buying their stuff

Best known?

Shit, here in the UK you can get codeine, opium and morphine all OTC for cough's and I'm sure they're better then DXM!

Unless you mean DXM's the best as in OTC where you are.

Hell yeah man, it seems like most patients in the ER are there because of chest pain/ coughing. So they'll order them a chest x-ray and it almost always turns out to be just a cold. Great way to waste some money ... go to the ER for a cold:\

Gaz_hmmmm said:
Best known?

Shit, here in the UK you can get codeine, opium and morphine all OTC for cough's and I'm sure they're better then DXM!

WHAT?!?!?!?! CODEINE, sure. But OTC morphine and opium? ?? LUCKY BASTARDS!!! I have strep right now and am basically praying for the sweet release of death, the only thing that helps (temporarioly, have to take one ever 4 hours) are these hot lemon tea theraflu things.

>.< Bastards! It's the best known cough suppresent available! ITS BEEN USED FOR SO MANY YEARS
No, they're right; IN CHILDREN, there's no evidence DXM works, in adults, no one is denying it is great.

seems like they are really pushing to remove dxm from the shelves, using this as an excuse......back to codeine!!!

in the states man, they arent gonna go back to opiates

which sucks

but i meant, best known legally in the states.

I wouldn't mind if DXM was banned... as long as Hydrocodone cough syrup was changed to OTC. =D

when i take cold dextromethorphan

i can feel it working

its harder to cough, like my throat got numb

so i beleive it works

Gaz_hmmmm said:
Best known?

time to go to the UK

If it doesn't work then why can I take such huge hits when I'm robotripping?

I guess they will bring back pharmaceutical heroin for all of our cough-suppressing needs?

Robitussin works for me; haven't coughed during a robotrip in a long time.
And for those who thinks it doesn't work, read the fucking label, it only "temporarily relieves cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation as may occur with a cold" and nothing else! If it doesn't work, you're using the wrong shit.