PDA

View Full Version : Xanax... what exactly does it do for you?

its_k_time
11-12-2005, 08:28
Just a quick question. I've been taking xanax (rarely) just as a sleeping tablet. What effects are you supposed to get from it as a recreational drug? Or is it more of a nicer downer after taking stimulants???

harryG
11-12-2005, 10:07
If you take a lot it is similar to alcohol... Otherwise the only good thing it is used for is anxiety releif or stimulant crash.

ToxicFerret
11-12-2005, 10:29
It's just like a very good CNS downer. Imagine being drunk but without all the unpleasant parts of it.

dapurpman
11-12-2005, 10:34
makes me fall asleep, only recreational benefit is tossin it in with a dose of pain killahz such as vicodin/percocet/sizzzzzzurp. 8(

paradoxcycle
11-12-2005, 19:01
It doesn't provide any real euphoria like an opiate would but I find it very enjoyable. It's a CNS depressant and will generally make you feel relaxed and uninhibited.

ClubbinGuido
11-12-2005, 19:26
I find that it helps me to relax when Im really stressed. A majority of the time however I use Xanax to give opiates a litle kick and I use it after a night out at a club when Im coming down from E to put me to sleep and chill myself out.

GoddessLSD-XTC
11-12-2005, 20:15
Do you notice that people who take it regularly have a Xanax personality? If so, can you describe it? I mean do they act abnormally happy?

PureLife
11-12-2005, 20:22
As far as i know, most of the people who really enjoy benzo's like xanax and whatnot actually have stress-related problems. Makes plenty of sense, seeing a lot of people dont find benzo's recreational, only using them as a sleep-aid or whatever

rocklobster
12-12-2005, 02:35
For those of us who suffer from anxiety problems, Xanax and other benzos are a god-sent. Even though it does not cause euphoria like, say, opiates, removing chronic anxiety from your mind, even if temporarily is both blessing and elation, and valuable beyond words.

Vaya
12-12-2005, 10:40
Xanax acts as an anxioloytic-based drug which alters the release of the neurotransmitter GABA (gamma butyric acid), the chemical responsible for a "calming" effect on the mind The more GABA is released the less inhibited you become. Someone likened it to being drunk, without the unpleasant side effects. This is a good comparsion, as both alcohol and benzodiazepines (the class of drugs to which Xanax belongs to) act on the GABA receptor in the brain.
In prescribed doses, Xanax can either make an individual simply fall asleep, or experience a state of existence that is "worry-free" and less inhibited than if they were sober.

Recreationally, Xanax gives these feelings but with greater strength. Some get a 'high' from Xanax, others don't. I myself do, and love it - same goes for the other benzo's that I have done. It seems like everyone reacts differently to Xanax (...as with any other drug...) and so if you've got some and are trying to use them for a good time, they can be fun - but you might have the bad luck of not experiencing good effects from it. YMMV.

Hope this was helpful, but you can do a search here or on the 'net too and find more comprehensive information.

Ray K. Hessel
12-12-2005, 11:08
The best part is that it really fogs all your memories. So you act without inhibition, and never painfully reflect on it. It takes all the responsibilities of living out of your hands and throws them to the wind. That way you can go on living day to day, nomatter what.

I dont take it though, it is one of my best friends who does.

Vaya
16-12-2005, 06:14
The best part is that it really fogs all your memories. So you act without inhibition, and never painfully reflect on it. It takes all the responsibilities of living out of your hands and throws them to the wind. That way you can go on living day to day, nomatter what.

I dont take it though, it is one of my best friends who does.

That's absurd, acting without inhibition, and worse, doing so having blacked out, will in many cases cause you to harm someone else or yourself. And you'll certainly have to answer to that in the morning.:\

harryG
16-12-2005, 09:19
Xanax is the best drug ever until you get addicted and have to withdrawl from it... That sucks ass.

It is great for picking up chick though and in any social situation.

ro4eva
16-12-2005, 10:05
Here's something for you to try if you get bored

0.5mg Xanax + 60mg Codeine

Totally relaxed and without pain.

Abraxus
16-12-2005, 16:07
Like someone else said, xanax is very enjoyable for those with a lot of anxiety to begin with. It works so quickly that it can be very euphoric to go from stressed/anxious/worried, to relaxed, calm and carefree rapidly.

geetered
19-12-2005, 07:15
In small doses like 1mg of Xanax; I become less figity. I find it easier to get along with people and not be so compulsive. It just really mellow's me out without any noticeable loss of motor control.

In higher doses like 3mg of Xanax; I become somewhat loud. My inhibitions are lowered, I say whats on my mind. I dont think about the consequences of my actions to a lesser degree. Very small signs of loss of motor control. Just makes me want to kick back and chiiil.

After about 6-7mg I cant really say what it does other than turn my into an asshole. Wake up with no memery.

BilZ0r
19-12-2005, 08:17
Xanax acts as an anxioloytic-based drug which alters the release of the neurotransmitter GABA (gamma butyric acid), the chemical responsible for a "calming" effect on the mind

Benzodiazepines act by binding to the GABA-A receptor and thereby increasing the affinity GABA has for said receptor.

brainiacthemaniac
19-12-2005, 09:03
^^^Put very nicely!!

I thought it was g-amino butyric acid A

ro4eva
19-12-2005, 09:10
If I take GABA supplements, will that increase the effectiveness of my Xanax?

GoddessLSD-XTC
19-12-2005, 20:17
How does xanax compare to other anti-anxiety drugs like paxil, addivan (spelling?) or prozac?

jasoncrest
19-12-2005, 21:28
How does xanax compare to other anti-anxiety drugs like paxil, addivan (spelling?) or prozac?

Paxil and Prozac are antidepressants, and after weeks of use, can reduce depression (and sometimes anxiety).

Xanax kills anxiety just after you take it.

BilZ0r
20-12-2005, 00:24
If I take GABA supplements, will that increase the effectiveness of my Xanax?

no.

Vaya
20-12-2005, 06:11
no.

....Can you explain why not? I too had this same question rolling around in my head as I take the supplements; I go to a homeopathic doctor and he recommends them.

jasoncrest
20-12-2005, 08:18
....Can you explain why not? I too had this same question rolling around in my head as I take the supplements; I go to a homeopathic doctor and he recommends them.

GABA can't cross the BBB.

Gary Gnu
20-12-2005, 23:36
I go to a homeopathic doctor and he recommends them.

8)

Is he selling them too? Your body makes all it needs. Unless you have a crap diet, you are paying for expensive urine.

BilZ0r
22-12-2005, 09:42
Yes, GABA doesn't cross the BBB. I mean, this is more reason to doubt, and avoid homeopathy. Not only does it not cross the BBB, it is highly metabolized. There is evidence that oral doses above 10g does have an effect, but this has never been reported in highly rigourous studies.

Moreover, EVEN if GABA passed into the brain (which it shouldn't) it wouldn't be like benzos, it would be like muscimol, which is not pleasant; it would be massively dangerous, and have a therpaeutic index of like 2. it would make barbiturates look like the safest drugs on the planet.

Vaya
23-12-2005, 00:10
GABA can't cross the BBB.

Most appreciated.

Tech Kinetics
24-12-2005, 11:08
In small doses like 1mg of Xanax; I become less figity. I find it easier to get along with people and not be so compulsive. It just really mellow's me out without any noticeable loss of motor control.

In higher doses like 3mg of Xanax; I become somewhat loud. My inhibitions are lowered, I say whats on my mind. I dont think about the consequences of my actions to a lesser degree. Very small signs of loss of motor control. Just makes me want to kick back and chiiil.

I get the same exact feeling!
My personal experience is the fact that you have no paranoia about what people think about you. Things that used to bother you are like a simple breeze in the wind. I can say that it is definitely a "Miracle" Drug for those that have sporadic anxiety. But it has gotten a bad reputation because it has been highly abused, and most doctors try to avoid prescribing it.

You have to be very careful when you take benzo's because, when it is fresh in your system, you have a very low tolerance to other chemicals. Specifically Alcohol. Mixing Benzo's and Alcohol can create a Blackout, which can be a hazard when you are operating a vehicle.

Ray K. Hessel
30-12-2005, 22:25
Mixing Benzo's and Alcohol can create a Blackout, which can be a hazard when you are operating a vehicle.

One of the funniest posts I've seen in a while.

I mean, its really fucking dangerous to walk on level ground on high doses of benzos and alcohol.