PhDs in the US - What do they entail?

PGTips

Bluelighter
Its that time of the year for me to start looking around at places I want to do a PhD at, and several people have said to have a look at doing one in the US. However, from what little I know about how the US system works, it sounds quite different from the UK system. Instead of 3 years, its 5 years and theres a large chunk of teaching in it. Other than that, I don't know anything about it.

If someone could give me a rundown on what they entail I'd be very grateful. How much teaching is expected? Do you still attend lectures (perhaps only initially?) or is everything learnt via research? What is the funding situation like? My current university just said "We don't really know anything, you're on your own." which obviously isn't terribly helpful.

Is emailing a department the best way to register an interest in doing a PhD or is emailing an actual lecturer better?

Basically, if someone could fill me in in how the process of application and then study works, that would be great :)

The problem is that there is a lot of variation between different programs. Some place an emphasis on teaching while others do not. Many do not require it but offer it as a way to secure funding. If your prof has grant-related funding that you could work for then you wouldn't need to teach. Lectures are similarly varied, at least in my field (psych), and I would assume in many other fields. My sub-area only requires about 8 courses (although you're encouraged to take more), and the rest consists of research and lab hours. Some programs are well-funded and others less so, and this may even vary within the university depending on the size/prominence of the department. Most do provide at least partial tuition remission so that you don't have to pay what the undergrads are paying.

Your best bet will be to think about what schools you would be interested in attending based upon the prolific profs in your field, your contacts, word of mouth, etc., and look up their website. Nearly every program nowadays will have all of their major information listed online and you can get a feel for where they stand on financial assistance, classes, and teaching. Any other minor questions you could email to the director of graduate studies for that program. An interest in a particular aspect of the program would be okay to send to a specific professor, especially if you're wanting to find out if they are accepting grad students for the upcoming year, but there will be application guidelines listed on the main webpage as well.

I'm in a PhD sociology program in the US.
I think it would actually tell me nothing about what a PhD math program would be like.

ebola

I think I'm probably the best person here to ask about math grad school :)

How much teaching is expected?
A good amount. Many programs are now offering full fellowships for the first year and then you'll start teaching after that. Expect to spend 5-15 hours a week on average on teaching related matters. No prior experience is really expected and it's usually a bit of a trial by fire experience.

Do you still attend lectures (perhaps only initially?) or is everything learnt via research?
It varies from program to program, but in general you still attend lectures. The usual rule is that the first year you still take courses similar to undergraduate work (only hopefully more involved), and from there on things start to look less like courses and more like "seminars".

What is the funding situation like? My current university just said "We don't really know anything, you're on your own." which obviously isn't terribly helpful.
Any department should fund you fully with a livable wage. Occasionally departments will accept students without offering funding, but these situations are rare and realistically this is only done by students with weak undergraduate backgrounds who are looking for a chance to prove themselves and get funding later on.

Is emailing a department the best way to register an interest in doing a PhD or is emailing an actual lecturer better?
Email the graduate chair, whoever that may be. In practice, you probably don't need to contact anyone and can just fill out applications on their web pages, but don't let that stop you from direct contact.

Any other questions and I'll be glad to help. In theory I should be able to give you advice on specific programs as well. :)

Actually, one thing that just came to mind regarding lectures and courses: I've noticed students from the UK tend to be surprised at how much coursework is given (the first year in particular). Expect to spend your first year doing basically nothing except working on problem sets and maybe studying for exams.

Thanks everyone (particularly Compact since he's maths too ;)). At the moment I'm sort of trying to get a list of my possible options, and will start firing off emails in the next few days.
compact said:
Expect to spend your first year doing basically nothing except working on problem sets and maybe studying for exams.
You get exams as a postgrad?! I know the UK system has a trial period of 6 months and 12 months, when they check on your progress and make sure its on track, but no exams.

Sounds almost as if a PhD is initially just another year of being an undergrad.

can't tell you much about math programs, but to quickly summarize what i know about history programs:

if you're good enough to get into the really top universities, you may get full funding and no (or very little) teaching requirement (harvard, yale, princeton); the less wealthy the school, the more teaching you'll have to do; as far as i understand it, most of it is voluntary though, as fizzy said, a way to help you secure funding;

try to apply for a fulbright scholarship, they provide full funding and living expenses for the first two years; however, the deadline for next fall is 28th of october;

history phds are 5-6 years, the first two year being a mixture between taught courses and self-study, leading up to a General Examination after year two; the rest is then just dissertation; so basically, it is a UK PhD plus two years teaching attached; which is good if you get the funding and into a good university where you can learn a lot, but if you just want a PhD as fast as possible, and have to pay for all of it, the UK is probably the better choice imho;

A/N

don't worry about funding. if you are at a semi-reputable university your funding will take care of itself. it is VERY rare for a science grad student not have everything paid for.

when choosing schools, academic reputation is important, but you really should have a good idea of what area you'd like to do your research in. not just basic areas, but exactly what in said area (for example i was interested in organic chemistry, but specifically in natural products synthesis). then find a professor who specializes in that area at various campuses.

if you talk to a chair directly ask for recommendations about specific areas at their campus.

---------------

as far as teaching goes, it is invariably a part of a phd program. sometimes you will get away with only teaching a quarter (10 weeks) while others get stuck doing it for 2 years. it really depends on the department and what your advisor wants/needs.

usually the coursework is related to the research you'll be doing. it very rarely will be a random set of courses required by all phd students. for chemistry they were going to make me take an extra year of advanced lab techniques and a spectroscopy course to prepare me further for research. i know others who were required to take an undergrad biochem class which they didn't cover in their own undergrad courses - but it came up in research, so off they went.

most of my experience is with chemistry, so math might be a bit different, but most physical sciences seem to be pretty similar.

good luck!

AlphaNumeric said:
Thanks everyone (particularly Compact since he's maths too ;)). At the moment I'm sort of trying to get a list of my possible options, and will start firing off emails in the next few days.
You get exams as a postgrad?! I know the UK system has a trial period of 6 months and 12 months, when they check on your progress and make sure its on track, but no exams.

Sounds almost as if a PhD is initially just another year of being an undergrad.

Well for science phds you get a masters first

One thing to keep in mind about teaching is that even if it's not what you want to end up doing, it'll at least give you more experience with public speaking and explaining complex things in more simple terms to a (sometimes uninterested) audience. This really will translate into real-world skills for most any job.

>>One thing to keep in mind about teaching is that even if it's not what you want to end up doing, it'll at least give you more experience with public speaking and explaining complex things in more simple terms to a (sometimes uninterested) audience.>>

This should be interesting. I'll be in this boat next year. A chance to poison America's brightest young people with Marxist rhetoric.

ebola

For chemistry at least its about 5 years and yeah, you'll TA at least a few classes the first two years, unless you work with a prof with boatloads of funding....

hashish2020 said:
Well for science phds you get a masters first
I'll already have one by the end of this academic year.
fizzygirl said:
One thing to keep in mind about teaching is that even if it's not what you want to end up doing, it'll at least give you more experience with public speaking and explaining complex things in more simple terms to a (sometimes uninterested) audience. This really will translate into real-world skills for most any job.
I'd love to stay at my current university where all PhD students get the opportunity to give supervisions to students. A pair of students and a supervisor go over an example sheet for a lecture course for an hour every two weeks. Not the same as lecturing or example classes (though PhD students can do that too in their 3rd year I think, for our Masters students) but even more personal and given I've had 3 years of experience being supervised I'd now like the chance to supervise people.

Not going to get the required grades though :(