⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: extras

Pounding_Grooves

Bluelighter
ricky gervais -extras

starts tonight 9pm bbc2

looks promising.

LONDON (Hollywood Reporter) - Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, the creative talent behind cult comedy hit "The Office," have come up with another winner in their brilliant new six-part series "Extras."

Incisive, fearless and laugh-out-loud funny, "Extras" will appeal to anyone who liked "The Larry Sanders Show" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Fans of "The Office" will surely embrace Gervais' new character, Andy Millman, who is far from being David Brent but is just as needy and driven in his own way and given to hilariously wince-making utterances.

Millman is a would-be actor who would rather take the humiliation and low pay of being an extra than work in an office. His goal in life is to get a line of dialogue in a production, and much of each episode is taken up with his ineffectual attempts to do so.

His agent (Merchant), who works part time at the Carphone Warehouse mobile outlet, hasn't gotten him a speaking part in the five years he has represented him. His resume reads like a begging letter, and his agent even puts to him the question, "Are you sure you want to be an actor?"

But Millman persists in his ambitions invariably with his friend Maggie Jacobs (Ashley Jensen), also along as an extra though her main objective is to land a husband. She is, as Millman observes, deeply shallow and just as likely as he is to come out with inappropriate statements. When she asks a man she fancies what he is having for lunch and he describes a healthy salad, her response is, "No bowel cancer for you, then."

Each episode begins with a scene from the film Millman is working on and follows him as he breaks out of the frame and goes in pursuit of that elusive line. The comedy is devastating in its insider's grasp of the egos and power structure of filmmaking. Millman is a master at sidling up to a producer speaking rubbish to acolytes, but he invariably picks the wrong person to entreat.

All of the shows are built around a star guest who is involved in the film the extras are working on. In the first episode, comedy actor and director Ben Stiller plays a comedy actor and director named Ben Stiller who shamelessly quotes the box office returns of his movies and names the women he has kissed (onscreen). It's one of Stiller's funniest creations, and later in the series he's matched by Kate Winslet, who plays an actress named Kate Winslet who is an expert at phone sex and thinks films about the Holocaust and the handicapped are the sure way to an Oscar.

Gervais and Jensen are immediately ingratiating in their roles, as are Merchant and Shaun Pye, who shows up as an extra who can afford to indulge himself. Masterfully written and deeply layered, "Extras" has enough one-liners to create an instant cult, and these shows will be mined for all the wonderful gems they contain.

Cast: Andy Millman: Ricky Gervais; Maggie Jacobs: Ashley Jensen; Greg: Shaun Pye; Agent: Stephen Merchant. Guest stars: Ben Stiller, Ross Kemp, Kate Winslet, Les Dennis, Samuel L. Jackson, Patrick Stewart.

Writer-directors: Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant; Producer: Charles Hanson; Executive producer: Jon Plowman; Director of photography: Martin Hawkins; Production designer: Anna Higginson; Editor: Nigel Williams; Music: Glyn Hughes.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...836_RTRIDST_0_REVIEW-TELEVISION-EXTRAS-DC.XML

Oh, and it is fantastic. I'm quite confused about why they decided to switch the episodes for the HBO premiere from the original BBC premiere. I downloaded episode one and it was the episode with Ben Stiller, however HBO aired the episode with Kate Winslett, which is supposedly episode 3 from the bit of poking around the web I did. I was dicussing the episode with a friend the other night for a while and it took us a bit to figure out we were talking about completely different episodes.

I watched the Ben Stiller Episode with Miss AmorRoark last night and the only reason I can think of it not being shown first is because it was fairly over the top. I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable watching a show. Definitely keep an eye out for this show!

I only saw the first episode with the traumatized Yugoslavian guy.

"Your wife is beautiful...

"No! DEAD WIFE, DEAD!!"

"Ehm... your son, though, cute kid.."

"NO! DEAD BOY! DEAD!!" =D

"So... about that part..."

I nearly wet myself. =D

--- G.

yeah I think while the Les Dennis episode will be completely lost on Americans, it might actually encourage more people to tune into BBC and actually pay attention to quality shows.

I'm *loving* Extras. I became a big Gervais fan in The Office and though Ricky Gervais did exceptional work in The Office this role seems more natural to him. The situations are even more awkward and ridiculous and I looove it.

I agree with Finder's guess that they possibly switched the order because the episode with Stiller is so edgy.

Since I first watched the series Sunday night I also saw the Winslet episode. I was surprised to see how humorous she was... phone sex tips anyone? :)

extras

anyone else catch this yet?? it is a new sitcom on hbo, and it is fantastic. it is about a guy and his female friend and they are extras in films. they have it on right after curb your enthusiasm, and if you like Curb, i do believe you will like this one too, check it out :)

There's been a little discussion here, but it doesn't seem like many folks are into this show.

I think it's hilarious!

No need to apologize! I'm sure this will get merged with the main thread. How many episodes have they played on HBO so far? I just went ahead and downloaded all six from the BBC and have watched four of them. Every one has been hilarious. I had to pick my jaw up from the floor after some of the jokes in the Ben Stiller episode. 8o

I am not sure how many they have played, only caught 3, but I did see that they are now on the hbo on demand channel, so can catch em there. :)

my dvd of series one arrived today. i think it's simply great and, at times, more excruciating to watch that 'the office'.

it's good to see stephen merchant get more screen time.

alasdair

watched the series finale last night and it did not fail to deliver. they just nailed andy's turning into everything he used to hate.

the audition scene made me almost bust a gut, greg's smug gloating hit an all-time high and ricky's big-brother house monologue was an absolute tear jerker.

loved every minute of it.

alasdair

alasdairm said:
watched the series finale last night and it did not fail to deliver. they just nailed andy's turning into everything he used to hate.

the audition scene made me almost bust a gut, greg's smug gloating hit an all-time high and ricky's big-brother house monologue was an absolute tear jerker.

loved every minute of it.

alasdair

agreed. i actually missed a lot of shows in between, but seeing the finale really made me want to go back and catch those episodes.

^ didn't we catch that finale together?

i love this show, as far as television comedies go, it is definitely my favorite. though, i must say, i somehow managed to miss the entire second season as well. until the finale.

thank god for dvds!

The hour-and-a-half-long Christmas special finale is on at 9pm tonight on BBC1.

I hope it's better than series 2.....