Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Poppy Sead Tea Horror

Tranz-E

Bluelighter
Last night I made some tea for the second time ever. The first was not much success at all. This time I used 750g of seeds mixed in pineapple juice and little alcohol (spirits) to help with the extraction. I strained the juice first after a half an hour of shaking and ingested the tea fast. By the end of the first glass I had some nausea but thought it would pass and it soon did. A short time after i started nodding a little bit; while this was happneing I prepared some more tea with the remaining seeds.

I didnt get much further from the 2nd glass of tea as I was continuning to nod. The next thing I know im woken up and there are 5 ambulance dudes in my room. I am absolutely in shock horror. WTF. My girlfriend was watching me had called the ambulance as I turned blue at 1 point. Basically I had really slowed down breathing and at 1 stage had stopped for 30 seconds they reckon.

On the trip to the hosiptal they asked what I had taken and basically had never heard of such a thing as poppy sead tea before. Then they asked where I got the seeds from etc (health food store i explained).

I have a strong tolerance to codiene (can handle 450mg well) and was so shocked this could happen.

I guess the point of this thread is to be careful with this tea as there must be great varieness in morphiene content between packets. I wont be ingesting any more poppy teas again, in lots of trouble with family etc now :(

P.S. was admitted at 9pm let out this morning at 10am. Still have a shocking headache now..

First time i used 500g of tea and felt basically nothing. Thats why I upped the dose.

My girlfriend was amazing stayed by myself next to me all night, really helped me out. She even gave me mouth to mouth when she noticed my breathing was going very shallow (she said it helped slighty - shes studying nursing so knows a little).

I doubt ill use these poppy sead tea again, just to many variables. Glad to be alive too, and thankful...

I have 40mg of valium of around 8am the following morning, followed by the tea at around 6:30pm. I guess that prob had some effect, but i just didnt think about it because of the weakness of the first batch; and figured most the valium had run out.

Thanks for the concern guys, Im just stressing the point in this thread to anyone thinking of trying: Start of real low (ie 250g), always use the same brands (i did) and sip the tea slowly until you start feeling it; or don't bother with it at all. The variables here can be life threatning.

The first time I tried Poppy tea (I also had a strong codeine tolerance/addiction) I had 500g on christmas eve. I spent all of christmas throwing up and really sick. I couldn't even open my presents.

Later on I could easily handle 1kg of poppys. When you first try poppy tea be consertaive because you don't know how strong the poppy seads are and how you will react. Codeine is alot diffrent than poppy seads.

My understanding is that the entire idea behind benzodiazepines is that they do not affect your breathing at all whihc is what separates them off from other sedatives and makes them a LOT safer and more generally prescribed.

I couldn't imagine that would've had such a serious effect. I can definitely imagine alcohol mixed with opiates would. This is a stupid combination and should never EVER be done by anybody.

The alcohol i mixed with the seeds was around 30ml (i read somewhere on bluelight a liitle spirits helped the extraction from the seeds). I doubt this was the main factor that made me O/D, I didnt drink whilst on the seeds either.

Cyberdyne said:
My understanding is that the entire idea behind benzodiazepines is that they do not affect your breathing at all whihc is what separates them off from other sedatives and makes them a LOT safer and more generally prescribed.

I couldn't imagine that would've had such a serious effect. I can definitely imagine alcohol mixed with opiates would. This is a stupid combination and should never EVER be done by anybody.

That's only true when benzos are used on their own. They significantly potentiate opiates / opiods, and are implicated in a major proportion of fatal opiate ODs.

The half life of valium is between 20 - 100 hours and the active metabolite up to 200 hours. I suspect that that played a significant role in your OD. Do you have a tolerance to valium?

Tranz-E said:
On the trip to the hosiptal they asked what I had taken and basically had never heard of such a thing as poppy sead tea before. Then they asked where I got the seeds from etc (health food store i explained).

Same situation when I ended up going to hospital after 15 hawaiian baby woodrose seeds (long story). In hospital they didnt know what it was either - so I ended up telling them to visit Erowid!

It took me a long time to 'get over' the whole experience, mostly the effects it had on family friends etc. If I get reminded of it now sometimes it will still feel bad.

Dosage can be a bad lesson to learn, but all that matters is that you are still here. Anything else that has happened as a result of this can be fixed over time...

Yea its real difficult with the whole family stuff and gf, and putting them through that. I Feel horrible. I never thought for a second that this could happen, guess you can never ever be too careful.

Ive been real depressed the last few days as a result of this and will prob take me ages to get over it. But as you said im still here and very thankful for that, and I can only learn from my mistakes; and hope others do to.

I have done some research into the amount of morphine per gram of poppy seed. It can vary from 50ugram to 250ugram. So its actually quite dangerous to dose large amounts like you did. You potentially could have had around 200 mg of morphine + other opiates as well in your mixture. Im not surprised you OD'ed.
I had a 2 year addiction to poppy tea and I just went on Buperenorphine, before I switched over I was using 1kg at a time. Apparently the 250 mg thing is about correct from the amount of Bupe. Im taking now (600ugram Bupe = 10 mg Morphine)

You really do need to be careful with the old poppy tea! Both because of addiction and also the overdose potential.
Thanks for posting your experience and Im glad your relatively OK.

Research Research Research

psyc0de said:
Same situation when I ended up going to hospital after 15 hawaiian baby woodrose seeds

8o 8o 8o 8o

Damn man!!!

You say you referred the doctors to Erowid to learn more but I doubt you even used Erowid yourself. 15 HBWR seeds is a massive dosage in anyone language. When I cotemplated HB seeds I read all there was on Erowid and seriously reconsidered the whole idea of using them.

The above comment and the original post is really a lesson to anyone reading this post. Research any substance you are considering to use, then when you have finished - Reseach it again to make sure you didn't miss anything. It could just save your life!

Just look at Mongman's post. The information he dug up was reasonably easy to access and he cross referenced that with other simple to find info to point out a very important fact.

Glad you are OK Tranz and I hope you can take something positive away from this whole exercise. I am sure that whilst your family and GF are angry at you, they are just glad your still with them.

All the best :)

geez, i'm glad you're ok.
i was gonna try poppy seed tea but your experience (and others comments) has made me think again.
i had no idea the amount of morphine could vary so much....

popper*smurf said:

i had no idea the amount of morphine could vary so much....

I thought the exact same unfortuanetly. I once read on bluelight that the contents of poppy seeds could vary vastly and oding was really possible; but most memebers dismissed that info, so I thought the same. I guess I was looking in the wrong places (other drugs forum), and some people should really think/understand what they are saying before they say it, especially on a place like this.

EDIT: Thanks for the kind words too eggman. They werent ever angry, just very very worried. I was expecting a lot of yelling at, but all i got was the whole love you stuff, kinda makes ya guilty :) Looking forward to the future, and glad to be alive...

Re: Research Research Research

Originally posted by eggman88888
8o 8o 8o 8o

Damn man!!!

You say you referred the doctors to Erowid to learn more but I doubt you even used Erowid yourself. 15 HBWR seeds is a massive dosage in anyone language. When I cotemplated HB seeds I read all there was on Erowid and seriously reconsidered the whole idea of using them.

I didnt actually go to hospital as a result of the seeds, but as the result of thinking i had harmed an area where i had an operation a year before.

As for the 15, well I had taken acid once before and was basing my trip rules around that. My mistake was taking more when there was no effect. We started out on 3, then felt nothing for a while, so took 6, then felt very good (but it wasnt getting stronger) so we took some more.

The trip was very intense and going fine, until i managed to break a stitch deep inside my lower back (that had not dissolved after i had my operation), which put me into shock as a result of the pain. The whole area became inflamed and I assumed from the pain and inflammation that I might have internal bleeding, so I had to convince, while tripping balls, my friend to wake up parents and get me to hospital to make sure i hadnt done anything bad to the area. By the time the ambulance came i was tripping so hard I couldnt walk, and the nausea had settled in. I finally managed to get in to the ambulance, and kept myself from thinking I was going to die. One parent went for the ride, listening in shock as i tell the ambos what i had consumed. I finally get to hospital, and it took about 2 hours before someone listened to me, everyone else just tells me how I'm wasting life and how i should be at university or something if i know so much about drugs (to which i tell them I'm an engineer and not failing thank you very much). This is when i told them about erowid. The awesome nurse who looked liked she had her fair share or drugs listened to what I was saying and gave me some anti-nausea meds. I then tell her about my concern, so she gets a doctor to check it out, and we talk about how drugs affect the mind for a while before she has to do other things. This calmed me down alot and I tripped for another 8 hours or so until I managed to get to sleep.

Oddly enough I had big day out a few days later, at which I had MDMA for the first time. This helped me get over the whole experience I had and I openly talked to another guy who had 15 of the seeds with me about it.

So the lesson I learned was always stick to your dosage plan. Having a bag of >100 seeds that I got for $15 around in my room was probably not the best plan either.

I've moved away from psychedelics now, but I still like to visit them every now and again. Having the bad experience also helped me learn how to control a trip gone bad.

^^^ I did 15 seeds also, under the instruction of the lady that sold them to me. She told me they were old and not as potent as usual so have between 10 and 15. I coped Ok, my g/f on the other hand had the worst trip of her life (and she's done LSD quite a few times) she said nothing compared.

My lesson: Don't listen to hippy chicks selling HBWR seeds. :|

Tranz-E said:
I have 40mg of valium of around 8am the following morning, followed by the tea at around 6:30pm. I guess that prob had some effect, but i just didnt think about it because of the weakness of the first batch; and figured most the valium had run out.

Thanks for the concern guys, Im just stressing the point in this thread to anyone thinking of trying: Start of real low (ie 250g), always use the same brands (i did) and sip the tea slowly until you start feeling it; or don't bother with it at all. The variables here can be life threatning.

With most heroin ODs the person has taken some type of benzo in the previous 24 hours. I've personally known 5 or 6 people to die from an OD all had taken valium or rohypnol.

I've never really had an affect from the poppy seed tea, but the pods are another story.