• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bedbugs - MEGAMERGED - vs. tell these pests to gtfo

fairnymph

Bluelighter
My entire building has an insane bedbug infestation, and I am getting 20+ bites a night, and it's driving me NUTS.

The landlord had pest control come, sprayed everywhere, we all washed our bedding (or were supposed to), but the problem has NOT gotten better at all.

Does anyone have any PROVEN/personally vouched for suggestions?

Is there anyway to prevent them from biting me? Some lotion I can apply, or something I could eat/take? Soak my pjs in some chemical that won't kill me?

THEY ARE GOING TO EAT YOUR BRAIN

I'm probably going to get banned again soon :(

Same thing happend to me... except mine were fleas. I thought they were from the bed but I kept getting the majority of the bites on my feet/ankles. I never thought about the carpet. I've moved out since but my mom said there's a kit you can buy to self-fumigate the room.

Most householders of this generation have never seen a bed bug. Until recently, they also were a rarity among pest control professionals. Bed bug infestations were common in the United States before World War II. But with improvements in hygiene, and especially the widespread use of DDT during the 1940s and '50s, the bugs all but vanished. The pests remained prevalent, though, in other regions of the world including Asia, Africa, Central/South America and Europe. In recent years, bed bugs have also made a comeback in the U.S. They are increasingly being encountered in homes, apartments, hotels, motels, dormitories, shelters and modes of transport. International travel has undoubtedly contributed to the resurgence of bed bugs in this country. Changes in modern pest control practice - and less effective bed bug pesticides - are other factors suspected for the recurrence.

bedbugmp.jpg

Bed bugs are small, brownish, flattened insects that feed solely on the blood of animals. The common bed bug, Cimex lectularius, is the species most adapted to living with humans. It has done so since ancient times.

Bed bugs are mentioned, for example, in medieval European texts and in classical Greek writings back to the time of Aristotle. Other bed bug species prefer to feed on wild hosts, especially bats and birds.

Adult bed bugs are about 1/4 inch long and reddish brown, with oval, flattened bodies. The immatures (nymphs) resemble the adults, but are smaller and somewhat lighter in color. Bed bugs do not fly, but can move quickly over floors, walls, ceilings and other surfaces. Female bed bugs lay their eggs in secluded areas, depositing up to five a day and 500 during a lifetime. The eggs are tiny, whitish, and hard to see without magnification (individual eggs are about the size of a dust spec). When first laid, the eggs are sticky, causing them to adhere to substrates. Newly hatched nymphs are no bigger than a pinhead. As they grow, they molt (shed their skin) five times before reaching maturity. A blood meal is needed between each successive molt. Under favorable conditions (70 - 90° F), the bugs can complete development in as little as a month, producing three or more generations per year. Cool temperatures or limited access to a blood meal extends the development time. Bed bugs are very resilient. Nymphs can survive months without feeding and the adults for more than a year. Infestations therefore are unlikely to diminish by leaving premises unoccupied. Although C. lectularius prefers feeding on humans, it will also bite other warm-blooded animals, including pets.

Bed bugs are active mainly at night. During the daytime, they prefer to hide close to where people sleep. Their flattened bodies enable them to fit into tiny crevices - especially those associated with mattresses, box springs, bed frames, and headboards. Bed bugs do not have nests like ants or bees, but do tend to congregate in habitual hiding places.

bedbugspots.jpg

Characteristically these areas are marked by dark spotting and staining, which is the dried excrement of the bugs. Also present will be eggs and eggshells, molted skins of maturing nymphs, and the bugs themselves.

Another likely sign of bed bugs is rusty or reddish spots of blood on bed sheets or mattresses. Heavy infestations are sometimes accompanied by a "buggy" or sweetish odor, although such smells are not always apparent.

Bed bugs prefer to hide close to where they feed. However if necessary, they will crawl more than 100 feet to obtain a blood meal. Initial infestations tend to be around beds, but the bugs eventually may become scattered throughout a room, occupying any crevice or protected location. They also can spread to adjacent rooms or apartments.
Bites and Concerns

Bed bugs usually bite people at night while they are sleeping. They feed by piercing the skin with an elongated beak through which they withdraw blood. Engorgement takes about three to 10 minutes, yet the person seldom knows they are being bitten. Symptoms thereafter vary with the individual. Some people develop an itchy welt or localized swelling, while others have little or no reaction. Unlike fleabites that occur mainly around the ankles, bed bugs feed on any bare skin exposed while sleeping (face, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, etc.). The welts and itching are often attributed to other causes such as mosquitoes. For these reasons, infestations may go a long time unnoticed, and can become quite large before being detected. Conversely, it is important to recognize that not all bites or bite-like reactions are due to bed bugs. Confirmation requires finding and identifying the bugs, themselves. (Other possible sources of irritation are discussed in University of Kentucky entomology fact sheet ENT-58: Invisible Itches: Insect and Non-Insect Causes).

A common concern with bed bugs is whether they transmit diseases. Although bed bugs can harbor pathogens in their bodies, transmission to humans is considered highly unlikely. For this reason, they are not considered a serious disease threat. Their medical significance is mainly limited to the itching and inflammation from their bites. The usual treatment prescribed is topical application of antiseptic or antibiotic creams or lotions to prevent infection.
How Infestations Originate

It often seems that bed bugs arise from nowhere. The bugs are efficient hitchhikers and are usually transported in on luggage, clothing, beds, furniture, etc. Outbreaks can often be traced to international travel from countries where the bugs are common, such as Asia, Africa, Europe, the Caribbean, or Central/South America. This is a particular problem for hotels, motels, and apartments, where turnover of occupants is constant. Bed bugs are small, cryptic and agile, escaping detection after crawling into suitcases, boxes, and belongings. The eggs are almost impossible to see when laid on most surfaces. Purchase or rental of secondhand mattresses, box springs, and furniture is another way that the bugs are transported into previously non-infested dwellings.

Once bed bugs are introduced, they often spread room to room throughout a building. Unlike cockroaches that feed on filth, the level of cleanliness has little to do with most bed bug infestations. Pristine homes, hotels, and apartments have plenty of hiding places and an abundance of warm-blooded hosts. Thus, they are almost as vulnerable to infestation as are places of squalor.

When bed bug-like insects are found, it's important to consider whether bats, swallows, chimney swifts, pigeons, or other wild hosts are involved. Although similar in appearance, bed bug species that normally feed on bats and birds can be differentiated from those that prefer humans. Entomologists and knowledgeable pest control firms can make this determination.
Controlling Infestations

Bed bugs are challenging pests to control. They hide in many tiny places, so inspections and treatments must be thorough. In most cases, it will be prudent to enlist the services of a professional pest control firm. Experienced companies know where to look for bed bugs, and have an assortment of management tools at their disposal. Owners and occupants will need to assist the professional in important ways. Affording access for inspection and treatment is essential, and excess clutter should be removed. In some cases, infested mattresses and box springs will need to be discarded. Since bed bugs can disperse throughout a building, it also may be necessary to inspect adjoining rooms and apartments.

bedbughide.jpg

Bed bugs can live in almost any crevice or protected location. The most common place to find them is the bed. Bed bugs often hide within seams, tufts, and crevices of the mattress, box spring, bed frame and headboard.

A thorough inspection requires dismantling the bed and standing the components on edge. Things to look for are the bugs themselves, and the light-brown, molted skins of the nymphs. Dark spots of dried bed bug excrement are often present along mattress seams or wherever the bugs have resided. Oftentimes the gauze fabric underlying the box spring must be removed to gain access for inspection and possible treatment. Successful treatment of mattresses and box springs is difficult, however, and infested components may need to be discarded. Cracks and crevices of bed frames should be examined, especially if the frame is wood. (Bed bugs have an affinity for wood and fabric more so than metal or plastic). Headboards secured to walls should also be removed and inspected. In hotels and motels, the area behind the headboard is often the first place that the bugs become established. Bed bugs also hide among items stored under beds.

Many areas besides beds, however, can harbor bed bugs.

bedbugwstand.jpg

Nightstands and dressers should be emptied and examined inside and out, then tipped over to inspect the woodwork underneath. Oftentimes the bugs will be hiding in cracks, corners, and recesses.

Upholstered chairs and sofas should be checked, especially seams, tufts, skirts, and crevices beneath cushions. Sofas can be major bed bug hotspots when used for sleeping.

bedbugrug.jpg

Other common places to find bed bugs include: along and under the edge of wall-to-wall carpeting (especially behind beds and furniture); cracks in wood molding; ceiling-wall junctures; behind wall-mounts, picture frames, switch plates and outlets; under loose wallpaper; amongst clothing stored in closets; and inside clocks, phones, televisions and smoke detectors.

The challenge is to find and treat all places where bugs and eggs may be present. Bed bugs tend to congregate in certain areas, but it is common to find an individual or some eggs scattered here and there. Persistence and a bright flashlight are requisites for success. Inspectors sometimes also inject a pyrethrum-based, "flushing agent" into crevices to help reveal where bugs may be hiding. A thorough treatment of a home, hotel, or apartment may take up to several hours.
Treatment Procedures

Bed bugs were treated years ago by wholesale spraying of beds, floors, walls, furniture, etc. with DDT. This practice is no longer permitted. Thoroughness is still important, but treatments today are generally more targeted and judicious.

As mentioned earlier, owners and occupants have important pre-treatment responsibilities. Reducing clutter is a necessity. Belongings strewn about rooms afford many places for bed bugs to hide, and impedes inspection and treatment. Infested bedding and garments will need to be bagged and laundered (120°F minimum), or discarded since these items cannot be treated with insecticides. Smaller items that cannot be laundered can sometimes be de-infested by heating. Individual items, for example, can be wrapped in plastic and placed in a hot, sunny location for at least a few days (the 120°F minimum target temperature should be monitored in the centermost location with a thermometer). Bedbugs also succumb to cold temperatures below 32° F, but the chilling period must be maintained for at least two weeks. Attempts to rid an entire home or apartment of bed bugs by raising or lowering the thermostat will be entirely unsuccessful. Vacuuming can be very useful for removing bugs and eggs from mattresses, carpet, walls, and other surfaces. Pay particular attention to seams, tufts and edges of mattresses and box springs, and the perimeter edge of wall-to-wall carpets. Afterward, dispose of the vacuum contents in a sealed trash bag. Steam cleaning of carpets is also helpful for killing bugs and eggs that vacuuming may have missed.

While the former measures are helpful, insecticides are important for bed bug elimination. Pest control professionals treat using a variety of low-odor sprays, dusts, and aerosols. (Baits designed to control ants and cockroaches are ineffective). Application entails treating all cracks and crevices where the bugs are discovered, or tend to hide. Some bed bug species are parasites of bats or birds, and may bite people if the wild hosts are no longer available. If bat bugs or bird bugs are involved, roosting and nesting sites should also be treated and the animals excluded from the building.
Do I Have to Throw Out the Bed?

Eliminating bed bugs from mattresses and box springs is challenging. If there are holes or tears in the fabric, the bugs and eggs may be inside, as well as outside. There also are restrictions on how beds can be treated with pesticides. For these reasons, pest control firms often recommend that infested beds be discarded. If disposal isn't an option, encasing the mattress and box spring will be helpful if bugs are still present. (Allergy supply companies sell zippered bed encasements for dust mite prevention). Some pest control firms treat seams, tufts, and crevices of bed components, but they will not spray the mattress surface, bed sheets, blankets, or clothing. Vacuuming will further help to remove bugs and eggs from mattresses and box springs that cannot be discarded. Some pest control firms also treat beds with portable steam machines. The technique is useful, but does not kill bugs or eggs that are hidden inside the box spring or mattress. Fumigation is another way to de-infest beds and hard-to-treat items, but the procedure is not always available. In extreme cases, entire buildings have been fumigated for bed bugs. The procedure is costly though, and involves covering the building in a tarp and injecting a lethal gas.
Avoiding Infestations

The cryptic, mobile nature of bed bugs limits their prevention. Avoidance is especially challenging in hotels, motels, and apartments because occupants and their belongings are constantly changing. This affords many opportunities for the bugs to be introduced. Householders should be wary of acquiring secondhand beds, bedding, and furniture. At a minimum, such items should be examined closely before being brought into the home. When traveling in countries where bed bugs are prevalent, it might be prudent to examine the bed and headboard area for signs of the bugs, and elevate luggage off the floor. Although incidence of bed bugs in the United States is increasing, they remain rare in comparison to most other pests. Familiarity may help to avoid infestation, or at least prompt earlier intervention by a professional.

Wow grandma was right. That's kinda gross.Maybe Skin-So-Soft would help.It's works for miquitoes and redbugs when we go hunting.

bed bug bites keep coming back and back unless you dont sort the problem out straight away.

it's a very bad problem all throughout london in hotels.

yuck...........glad i dont have em.

I will happily accept the odd funnel web over them things anyday.

keystroke, I googled plenty.

I was looking for KNOWN TREATMENTS THAT WORK.

Poor Fairnymph!

I've met these buggers (in a Ramada Inn in Manhattan). Woke up to find them all trotting home after feasting on me all night. Ick! I had some friends who stayed in a B&B that got infested from a chest of drawers bought in an antique shop.

They are very tough to eliminate. They get behind wainscoating, wallpaper, and fitted carpets where they sleep out the day dreaming of the Blue Plate Special, all full of yummy blood, coming for their delectation that night.

Luckily, they are not associated with the transmission of blood-bourne disease.

I have not heard of any effective skin treatment to keep them off. You might try in insect repellant (DEET is the most effective for mosquitos) but I don't think is very good for you to slather it all over yourself every night.

To eliminate them you really have to tear the room apart; take out all furniture and carpets, wash everything you can, dowse with insecticide or burn what you can't, fumigate the space. Then lie on the floor for a couple of hours to tempt out any survivors. Repeat if necessary.

Best thing might be to move out and sue the landlord for mental anguish.

Since their young are called nymphs, you might need to change your screen name too. (j/k)

Bachus
---------------
Silly suggestions:
Eat a ton of 'cid, the bed-bugs will trip off your blood and think each other were glasses of orange juice and drink each other, or think they can fly and plummet to their deaths. LSD will become available on prescription for bed-bug sufferers. Reports of bed-bug infestations will skyrocket. =D

Take out your bed and burn it. Replace it with a black marble altar with a channel around the perimeter. Fill the channel with scented oil, get naked and lie on your altar. Ignite the oil. Lie back and sleep with your arms folded across your breasts. The bedbugs will be thwarted by your fiery moat. Plus, it will look INSANELY COOL!
:D

maybe you just have to replace your bedding??

also are you sure it's the bedding.. my mom had a bed bug problem in her house and she found out that they werent' going away because the cats were carrying them around... I know you have a cat... have you checked Tara for any bugs on her???

Replacing the bedding won't work. You have to get them out of the mattress, bed-frame, and any crack in the walls or floors or nearby furniture where they hide out during the day.

They only ride around on cats for fun (Spring break and public holidays are very popular bed-bug cat riding times). The fleas (who have to ride around on cats for a living) really hate this. It also confuses cats that can't tell a flea from a bed-bug.

;)
Bachus

i had them brought to my ghouse form a friend who had them in her bed and her dog. thanks a bunch!
i had to throw out my matress, hose down the box spring, hot water washes on all the walls, pull up carpeting near the bed and so on.
thorwing out the bed was pretty much the easiest and least likely to fail even if it wasnt the cheapest option.
i would tink twice now with my newer queen bed set... but i also dont really like being snacked upon.

fairnymph said:
keystroke, I googled plenty.

I was looking for KNOWN TREATMENTS THAT WORK.

I quoted the page of "HOW TO TREAT BEG BUGS"

read it again, IT IS A TREATMENT THAT WORKS!

Tara is blissfully free of insects and itchy bites, the lucky bitch.

I can't afford to throw out anything.

Has anyone used one of those pyrethrin foggers?

keystroke, I'm looking for personal experience.

bachus said:

They only ride around on cats for fun (Spring break and public holidays are very popular bed-bug cat riding times). The fleas (who have to ride around on cats for a living) really hate this. It also confuses cats that can't tell a flea from a bed-bug.

;)
Bachus

Priceless

LMFAO.

I'd move out of the building, why on earth you'd want to stay there after all of this is beyond me.

most pest control companies reccomend throwing out the bed, linen, etc and just starting over. it might be cheaper going to Ikea and buying a new bed instead of spending hundreds of dollars trying to fight the problem, especially as the building is infested, they will just return another day.

if anything, shouldn't house and contents insurance cover this epidemic?

Oh my god. I have nothing to offer but sympathy. :( I'm very sorry you're going through all this; that would freak me out beyond belief. I would call every pest and cleaning company in the phone book and try my hardest to just hire someone to take care of the situation for me.

I live in an apt. We have been complaining to the landlord but he's kind of a cheapskate asshole.

We can't afford to move.

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.. bedbugs would suck maybe worse than reading about their excrement..