• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cannabis and lecithin

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
I've been told to use lecithin to emulsify kava (piper methysticum) for digestion- would the same technique work for cannabis?

This may be more appropriate in the cannabis forum but I didn't think many of the smokers there would be able to adequately answer my query :)

i believe this may work once you extract the cannabinoids in oil.

Last edited:
Yep kavalactones and cannabinoids are hydrophobic compounds, so would be held in the micelle of fatty liquid, surrounded & stabilized by the lecithin.

You might be the creator of a cannabis 'milk' drink!

Or you could just eat the cannabis oil with something fatty/in fat

nanobrain said:
i believe this may work once you extract the cannabinoids in oil.

But shouldn't cannabis oil be easily bioavailable (hmm not sure if used that in the right context), isn't that the point of extracting the THC/cannabinoids?

Why would I use lecithin then?

My idea was this- I enjoy eating marijunana, for the effects only, so couldn't I cut up a few grams, put them in capsules or some other device to allow it entry to my stomach (don't wanna chew buds!) and eat maybe four grams of lecithin so I can actually digest/use/FEEl the canabis?

Pleaser excuse me, my science is not very sound.

Maybe someone can tell me what lecithin REALLY does- in my mind its seems to be a substance that allows non-digestible substances (such as plant matter) to be converted/or extracted into a (oil?) form that the body can metabolise . . .

Maybe I should ask, can lecithin be used insted of butter, or some fatty substance, to consume cannabis?

I don't understand .. . .

This has been through animal testing at an "unamed" college for effectiveness on neural degeneration due to glaucoma and has been proven in four rounds of testing to be more effective at preventing degeneration than any other single natural or artificial cannabinoid by over 100%. Administration as a sugar/alcohol emulsion has quite different effects than oil suspensions or foods or even tinctures.
I am quite proud of this product and it has been of much use medicinally

Whiterasta's honey elixir;

A tincture is made from 190 proof ethanol using high resin content material by grinding into a flour and covering with 1/4" per pint of alcohol or 1 inch per gallon.macerate for a moon and strain.

Reserve the alcohol and begin preparing other ingredients.
Having an aproximate idea of the volume of resin disolved is handy for the smoothest elixir.In my batches i use 1500ml EtOH/224g of sugar trim and bud this works out with my strain to just over 50 ml of resin 22+% by weight.

Take an equal amount of lecithin (I use powdered) and smoothly disolve in a minimum of water with a little heat.

Now THIS STAGE IS FLAMABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME AND MUST ONLY BE PERFORMED OUTSIDE ON AN ELECTRIC HOTPLATE! In fact I have hesitated releasing this recipe for its ability to blow up if done by an inexperienced person over a gas stove! Please do this portion with open ventilation and NO open sources of ignition!

The reserved tincture is placed in a heavy large S/S kettle or a crock pot (works well due to enclosed heat source).
I can usually get back with vigorous pressing of the marc aproximately 1200ml+
The liquified lecithin is added along with 750ml pure honey and stirred to homogeneity.

Begin slowly bringing this to a boil while stirring aggressivly but without slopping out the mix.

NOTE at this point distillation is the most proper method of safely removing and recovering the alcohol,which if the alcohol is used several times becomes a cannabis brandy containing many interesting compounds amd flavors(mostly terpinoids and related aromatics) and can be used as a cordial once the proof has dropped below 150.

The mixture in the pot will start by swirling light and dark green as the resins are emulsified by the lecithin and then begin to boil.

Turn it down to a simmer and watch carefully while stirring to prevent boilover.

Reduce this mixture down to 850mls and cool.
At this point you have a double strength syrup which is holding the cannabinoids in suspension. The key is leaving a small amount of alcohol in the syrup ,<10-15% , to keep the syrup from becoming to thick. This will keep it's effectiveness under refrigeration for many,many months.

Should one continue the boil until all alcohol is removed then it is possible to make lozenges of the honey by standard candy making techniques just watch your temps or you will vaporize some of the active ingredients.

This elixir, due to its extreme concentration will separate over time so must be shaken well prior to administering.
Using my strain, and at the concentration stated, dosage of elixir is 1/4tsp-2tblsp depending on ones tolerance to oral preps and severity of the symptoms it is used for.

Most people find it much quicker relief than oil extracts, this due to it piggy backing through the digestive sugar pathways rather than the fat pathway used by oils, and it can be made many multiples stonger than tincture or oils by changing the reduction ratio of honey/tincture.There are limits on the amount of resin which can be disolved in an oil or alcohol. These limits are superceded by creating a suspension. I personaly have created elixirs of 1g/ml concentrations, however these are more sweet tars than easily administered syrup.

Some of the uses of this product are;
Chronic pain
nausea
calming violent autistic behavior
influenza
viral infections
sleep disorders
Neuralgia
and the list goes on...

I also add a quantity of real vannilla for flavor and IMHO a synergism which makes the elixir more effective(we have vannilloid receptors in our nervous system)

I hope this is of help to some of you, and again I caution you regarding the reduction of the alcoholic fraction.
Bon Chance!
WR

PS Hey F&B, this is VERY tasy in a cup of hot milk;)

But shouldn't cannabis oil be easily bioavailable (hmm not sure if used that in the right context), isn't that the point of extracting the THC/cannabinoids?
Eating cannabis by itself is a waste, you need to decarboxylate the THC acids with heat.

we have vannilloid receptors in our nervous system
Yeah, but they don't recieve any of the products in vinnila

Bilzor:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we have vannilloid receptors in our nervous system
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, but they don't recieve any of the products in vinnila"

Perhaps..., however it has been established in a lab that the elixir with vanilla was more effective than the straight cannabis syrup.
Using mice as a model the optic nerve was chemicaly damaged in a way which is identical to chronic glaucoma. This process guarantees 75-85% destruction of neural tissue. In mice pretreated with this preparation w/o vannilla retained 45-55% of the neural function. Those treated with the vannilla enhanced formula retained 55-65%. Both numbers are such that the mice did not lose their sight completely. I believe it to be one of the best adaptogens ever made due to it's broad range of succces for many conditions.
The study out of Westmont College should be published this fall.
WR

BTW the Dr doing the research is looking further into the role vannilla played in the experiment. Tissue samples did indicate activation at the vannilloid receptor, However he indicates the receptors are similar and could be responding to the cannabinoids . His opinion is Vannillin is a potentiator for certain cannabinoid combinations.

Did he study plasma levels of THC? Wouldn't it just be a pharmacokinetic action?

I mean, if vannila was a VR1 agonist, don't you think it might taste a bit funny?

If the Vannilla were acting as an agonist it would be odd as it is quite diferent than the substances which activate the Vannilloid receptor. However might it not synergize with similar cannabinoids and be producing the greater medicinal benefit? It has an active biochemist scratching his head also. The synergy is objectively and subjectively observed and experienced. In the abscence of a more complete understanding of the Cannabinoid receptor system and the other systems also involved we are left to speculate.
WR

Oh, it might synergize with it.. but concluding (or even hypothesizing) that this is due to a vanniloid receptor interaction seems very premature, where a pharmacokinetic interaction seems pretty likely

Absolutely brilliant elixir, my friend. I'm working on several pressure systems and trying to develop a method for clean, (approaching) pure extraction into variegated mediums composed of oil, glycerin, agave nectar, lecithin, vanilla and antioxidants. My research is always delicious!

Bravo,

chaRlie