• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Resume- No Work Experience

dbighead2

Bluelighter
How would you write a resume when you have no work experience? What would you put in it?

do you have any volunteer work, or special honors or other bull shit like that. or your college gpa.

do you have college experience? you could go into lots of detail about what you've studied, extracurricular activities, awards, etc - even from high school if that's your highest level of education. your resume doesn't have to be really long if you don't have work experience! people understand that everyone is just getting started at some point.
Try to really get across what you want in a job/career in your cover letter! you can talk about whatever sets you apart from other applicants - stuff like enthusiasm, people skills, and attention to detail (or whatever suits your prospective job!)
good luck! i used to work in the recruiting field, so i've seen thousands of resumes, and have hired plenty of people with no experience based on other qualities.

honor roll, clubs, helper, "who's who"

I took a few computer classes, an accounting class, and a typing class....

SO I have "some" experience with Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Access.

I'm a people's person, friendly, attentive, I show great attention to detail,

I have no college experience, yet.

I can type between 50-70 wpm. I took classes in business etiquette, and I know how to write letters and all that stuff.

I just have no fucking clue how to write a resume lol. :eek:

Well make sure you hype yourself like "i may not have that much experience but im serious, ambitous, a quick learner, and willing to work hard"

Just spell ambitious right. :) Use spellcheck! hehe

Try using microsoft word's templates for resumes. they help guide me and i actually have stuff to put in it.

i would imagine references would play a key role for you, especially if they're professional.. use who you know to your advantage:)

i think word even has a "resume wizard," which takes you through the resume-writing process step by step. in the templates folder, i think.

dbighead2 said:
How would you write a resume when you have no work experience? What would you put in it?

Do you have any relative or friends that have some kind of a business,or are doctors or lawyer or whatever, write in the resume that you worked for them.

;)

Low down

(I do that everytime I fill out an application, my whole family is self employed)

Re: Re: Resume- No Work Experience

Originally posted by shahab6
Do you have any relative or friends that have some kind of a business,or are doctors or lawyer or whatever, write in the resume that you worked for them.

i think lying outright on a resume is just a bad idea.

alasdair

if your family will back it up....then I don't see why it's TOO bad.

I mean, it's bad....But I think it would be way worse to lie about qualifications and stuff like that than it would be to lie about a reference.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Resume- No Work Experience

alasdairm said:

i think lying outright on a resume is just a bad idea.

alasdair

why is it a bad idea, even if they call, his family will back it up.

because you don't have those qualifications. it isn't a matter of someone being able to back it up but rather being honest. if they don't want you because you're not qualified, then maybe you shouldn't have that job in the first place?

What kind of job(s) are you applying for and how old are you?

Because, if people do that, I can't pay back my $20,000 in student loans and co-op fees that I worked my ass off for.

Why? Because some LIAR has my job.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Resume- No Work Experience

Most places say that your references have to be people who are NOT related to you. I'm guessing a great part of that has to do with the fact that your family will probably "back you up" whether its the truth or not, just to help you succeed. Also they'd obviously only say good things about you, since they're your family.

I'm with alasdairm.... lying on a resume is a fucking awful idea. Do you really want to start a new job off as a complete and total lie?

And no offense but... how old are you that you've NEVER had a job yet? I'm really thankful that my mother forced me to get a job when I was 15. I learned a lot about responsibility, independence, and work ethic, just by starting so young.

If your not going to lie, just get to the interview and show your really enthusiastic and make a good impression, also if they are looking unimpressed ask them to just take you on for a weeks trial to prove yourself, maybe even if you have to work for free.

If you are going to lie, put down some shitty little jobs (supermarkets, video stores, etc) you did for a couple months each during your teens.

I'll try and get back to help you write a resume later if you tell us what type of job(s) your looking for.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Resume- No Work Experience

and what happens the first day on the job when they ask you something you should know with that experience and you can't answer?

when we start out in life, none of us have any experience but we all get there in the end. if you choose to be deceitful to get a head start, that's your decision, but don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the ass in a way you never expected.

alasdair

Even if you fake it and make it, I still think you ripped off a potential honest employee.

Dey tik er jerrbs!

On the up side, if you actually HAVE worked for a friend you can always use him as a reference and he'll tell your future employers you are a God.

An old friend of mine was my editor before he moved on to be a CEO for a major company, that was sweet =D

What I'm saying is, exaggeration is fine but outright making up jobs is very thin ice indeed.

--- G.