• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Movies about your home-town

Lizzibabi

Bluelighter
Alright, so I caved, I saw "4 Brothers" a few minuets ago. It made me realize exactly how a lot of people see Flint and Detroit. And how really not far off a lot of it is. So I was wondering what movies are set in or are about your home town, and how close of a representation they are to what's happening in that area.

I've got 2; "Roger and Me" (Micheal Moore), and "Four Brothers" Neither one is far off, but "Roger and Me" is a little too old to show what is happening right now, and the Flint-town has NOT improved. Oh, and Thugs really, usually aren't that sentimental, or intelligent, but there wouldn't be a "Four Brothers" if they wern't.

Cute idea for a thread.

Mine (most recently) would be "24 Hour Party People". Although it doesn't showcase the city in it's present form, it does give a decent celluloid history of the city's music scene that emerged from the late 70's, up to the mid 90's, and the key players behind it.

"101 Reykjavik" is a pretty amusing movie, captures certain elements of the place rather well. And yeah... that's about it ;)

--- G.

tambourine-man said:
Cute idea for a thread.

Mine (most recently) would be "24 Hour Party People". Although it doesn't showcase the city in it's present form, it does give a decent celluloid history of the city's music scene that emerged from the late 70's, up to the mid 90's, and the key players behind it.

Thanks,
That flim sounds intresting, I'll have to check it out. :)

^
Wasn't Full House set in SanFran? ;)

Originally posted by fruitfly
Too many about San Francisco to name. =D

Likewise about Chicago.

Hehe the only movie about Dallas that I'm aware of is "Serving Sarah". Plus there was that whole TV show that was kind of a big deal.

GUMMO.
Was taped in Xenia, OH. I live close enough to Xenia that I could walk to it. The town looks about as trashy as it does in the movie, and it wouldn't suprise me the least bit to have people like that living in Xenia.
It's a town of about 20-25,000 or so, and it's got a pretty dangerous ghetto. They recently have had a big problem with rats infesting the city, not just rats, but rats that are like 2 feet long!!!

wow, a movie was actually filmed in hudson!

the gathering

in eurotrip, the main characters graduate from 'Hudson High School' in hudson, ohio. the HS looks like a typical californian campus, so i am not sure why the producers picked hudson ohio...

filmed in this area..

HealtH (1980)
Cocoon (1985)
Summer Rental (1985)
Great Expectations (1998)
Strategic Air Command (1955)
The Punisher (2004)
The Stratton Story (1949)

and a few baseball movies ...

Finder said:
Originally posted by fruitfly
Too many about San Francisco to name. =D

Likewise about Chicago.

That's not your hometown :p

You guys could offer up a few about either city.. instead of basically saying nothing!

i live on long island, about 1/2 hour away from new york city. obviously, there are far too many movies about nyc to even begin to list.

the only film i can think of off the top of my head that was filmed on location in long island is L.I.E. it was done a few years ago and is about an older man, a pedophile, who preys on boys near the L.I.E. (long island expressway).

there is a movie being shot now in manhasset (town on long island) starring angelina jolie, among others. didn't catch the name of it though, and i don't know how much of it will be filmed on long island.

^ when I lived in the Great Neck - Kings Point area I watched them make a movie called "For Love of Ivy in 1968 " with Sidney Poitier .

Mazey said:
^ when I lived in the Great Neck - Kings Point area I watched them make a movie called "For Love of Ivy in 1968 " with Sidney Poitier .

Sidney Poitier is actually my father.

By the way, you look phenomenal, Rizzo.

Too bad parents just don't understand.

xena said:
there is a movie being shot now in manhasset (town on long island) starring angelina jolie, among others. didn't catch the name of it though, and i don't know how much of it will be filmed on long island.

researched... the movie's called "The Good Shepherd" and it also stars matt damon.

Well, "The Stepford Wives" is set/filmed in New Canaan, CT- about 15 minutes from my house. "Sleepers" was also filmed at an old mental hospital about 20 minutes north.