• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Making my fraternity "cooler"

needapair

Bluelighter
Alright basically the only defining characteristic about the fraternity I recently joined is we almost all like to drink a lot. We're one of the more unpopular, though, probably because we let about anybody join, and we end up w/ guys that have not so great social skills. Does anybody have ideas to turn our reputation around? Any input is appreciated.

Do some charity work or something like Habitat For Humanity. Not only will you be helping people less fortunate than yourselves, but you'll be shaking off the "traditional" (I hesitate to use "stereotypical") Greek image, which is sure to spark more interest in your organization. I'm not Greek-affiliated in any way (though this may be the frat for me if all the guys are socially inept), so take my advice with a bucket of salt.

unless it's RobotHouse

but then, how should anyone quoting Futurama be able to tell what's cool and what's not

How about this, make it free and un-herd like. Oh wait, then that's destroying the idea of paying and/or conforming simply to have buddies.

start selling drugs

druggies > nerds
(for frats, anyhow)

needapair said:
Alright basically the only defining characteristic about the fraternity I recently joined is we almost all like to drink a lot. We're one of the more unpopular, though, probably because we let about anybody join, and we end up w/ guys that have not so great social skills. Does anybody have ideas to turn our reputation around? Any input is appreciated.

Help the dorks that pledged become socially acceptable through example. Become more selective in the future. This evolution will not happen overnight.

i didn't join a frat

but i sure fucked enough Delta Chi's and D Tau D's
to be their sexscot....

;)

Re: Re: Making my fraternity "cooler"

SonOF said:
Help the dorks that pledged become socially acceptable through example. Become more selective in the future. This evolution will not happen overnight.

As in just exhibiting good social skills? It's not necessarily pledges that lack social skills. So showing good social skills didn't necessarily work so far.

okay. this is what i would to do make the frat COOLER:

1. everyone start taking steroids
2. listen to dave matthews
3. funnel a lot of natty or beast light
4. have sex with ugly girls (with help of GHB of course)
5. start tanning. a lot.
6. dye your hair black. spike it with lots of gel.
7. wear shirts that are too small for you.
8. develop a secret handshake that you think people are jealous of, but actually they just think you're retarded.
9. play poker, but only hold em, and always no limit. play badly but pretend you dont care since its your parents money anyways.
10. recite the greek alphabet in 4 seconds. backwards.

Seeing as this website is about the opposite of everything most frats stand for... And the people being those who are most likely to want to firebomb them... You might want to check somewhere else. Of course, you could always just quit the fraternity and not pay for friends and a place to party

Acidfiend said:
Here's a clue: fraternities aren't cool no matter what.

Here's a clue: people who judge hundreds of thousands of people with sweeping generalizations aren't cool...no matter what.

I love it when people ask for advice and all they get are useless, bashing comments. Espeically from a bunch of drug users... the paradigm of the socially acceptable. :p

Is your school a big party school? I know at UCONN the frats do things like "Kegs and Eggs" (Breakfast of Champions!) and other fun, themed parties, especially around Spring Weekend. Rent out a bar for a night, no cover for girls, guys $5... something like that.

Team up with a sorority*, do fundraisers... Habitat for Humanity is always good. Fundraisers for local children's hospitals, or organizations like the Make A Wish Foundation are usually well received.

As for being seen as cooler... Make grade requirements a condition of remaining a brother. Once you get rid of the total screw-ups, you're on your way. Most of being socially acceptable is just being confident in what you're doing. Also, throw big parties.

*teaming up with a sorority is a great way to meet girls... and if your school is anything like mine, sororities see other sororoties hang out with a frat and then the competition begins for that frat's attention.

Oh, and don't burn your house down... one frat made that mistake. Another melted the siding off thier brand-new university built house. 8)

^^^ Definitely teaming up with a sorority is the way to go. Your frat bros might think it sounds lame, but chicks really dig sappy sweet things. My frat every month or so picks a sorority and goes to their house and sings good-old-college-romance type songs, and they really love that. Or, if you have anyone in your house who can cook decently, you can really impress the ladies by inviting them all over for dinner. Group community service is good as well; often a sorority might have different connections in the community that you, and guys are always more motivated when there are chicks to impress lol.

Also, it's not necessarily bad to not be the greatest party house on campus. My house certainly isn't the most happening, but girls who come over repeatedly tell us that they feel safer here than at other houses.

yeah this is definitely a party school. we throw parties and every once in a while some of them are pretty big. but a lot of times when walking in i hear girls saying "let's get out of here, this is lame" and walking out. sometimes i think they just come for free beer before they go tot he 'cooler' fraternities' parties.

physix said:
i didn't join a frat

but i sure fucked enough Delta Chi's and D Tau D's
to be their sexscot....

;)

Funny, where I'm at in Louisiana, Delta Tau Deltas are a male group. My apologies if you are gay and intended your statement to reinforce that fact.