Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [ABC] 15/07/2005 - 'Drug group alarmed at cannabis survey results'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Drug group alarmed at cannabis survey results

The Victorian Government's peak drug prevention body says heavy cannabis use has become a major concern among young people.

A survey of more than 6,000 Victorians between the ages of 16 and 24 found a disturbing trend of heavy cannabis use.

Nearly 3 per cent of respondents use the drug daily and up to 5 per cent use it more than once a week.

The chairman of the Premiers Drug Prevention Council, Rob Moodie, says heavy use is leading to isolation and depression.

"Our levels of cannabis use in Australia are higher than any other English speaking country," he said.

Dr Moodie says a new approach is needed.

"We just don't seem to be doing very well with it at the moment," he said.

"It's the amount of use and the problematic use that's the real problem. That's when it becomes a hard drug, in a sense, when it's being used daily and more frequently.

"It really is damaging young people's lives and older people's lives, that's when it's a problem, no matter what title it has. That's when it's really causing harm and that's what we have to focus on - the harmful problematic use."

The results of the survey will be discussed at a forum in Melbourne today.

From ABC News

Hardly news...

Anyway, being a former daily smoker who's recently quit, I feel extremely rejuvinated (sp?) without it, and thats after only 3 or 4 weeks!

Glad I gave the shit up, such a waste of money, and in turn a huge time waster.

oh no!

it ruining young people and old peoples lives.... oh no... what about all the others....??? what about the others?

"It really is damaging young people's lives and older people's lives, that's when it's a problem, no matter what title it has. That's when it's really causing harm and that's what we have to focus on - the harmful problematic use."

What the fuck does alcohol do, make everyone love each other and live a prosperous and successful life? :p

I don't smoke anymore unless I do pills, and then it is a prerequisite. I found that I could never control my smoking, it was either full on or not at all. When you find a drug does you instead of the other way around, you have to realise you have a problem. It took me a long time to realise that I have to be very careful when i smoke pot as it takes me fuck all to start it up every day. I have always been an every day smoker ever since I was 17, and I only really have gotten a handle on it in the last 6 months, though i know, if i let myself go, it is too easy for it to rear it's ugly head again. I have nothing against it, or the people who smoke every day, each to their own I say, but I know I have to be very careful, even when i smoke after taking MD, it's very easy to get the taste for it again.

"Our levels of cannabis use in Australia are higher than any other English speaking country,"

what the hell does speaking english have to do with your ability to smoke weed?

That sounds alright to me - I read that and think that hopefully more logic is diffusing into drug policy and popular attitudes toward drugs.

At least it might be a prelude to a movement away from blanket anti-cannabis campaigns, rigidly condemning any and all use of cannabis - it is good that they have openly recognised the great numbers of people out there who use a drug and don't encounter any significant problems.

Some people will disagree all they want about the actual effects of heavy pot use, and that is ok, but really they are only defending their own experience on it and would be foolish to deny that there are users out there engaging in "harmful problematic use" whose lives are really suffering as a result.

If you are not a 'problematic' user, then sweet as - live it your way. But government recognition that focus should be shifted from non-problematic use to problematic use (even though both are illegal offenses under the law) doesn't deserve instant skepticism and cynicism - it is an important step in eventual acceptance of personal rec.drug use, hopefully eventuating in more thought-out ways of addressing REAL problems that people get with gunja rather than just treating all use as demonically risky behaviour - favouring healthcare over law enforcement.

The more they adopt these kinds of attitudes, the less shit they'll heave onto the backs of all users, and all the extra time and resource can be poured into developing understanding and interacting with people who are really going through grief that is caused or amplified by their own drug-use habits (= harm reduction).

I quit on July 1st and I can feel the difference!! Much more alert...easier to concentrate on things...just made me feel a whole lot better!!

"The Victorian Government's peak drug prevention body says heavy cannabis use has become a major concern among young people."

I love how the heavy users themselves believe it's a major concern, probably concern where to get some more when they run the last billy dry =D

Ina Light said:
I don't smoke anymore unless I do pills, and then it is a prerequisite. I found that I could never control my smoking, it was either full on or not at all. When you find a drug does you instead of the other way around, you have to realise you have a problem. It took me a long time to realise that I have to be very careful when i smoke pot as it takes me fuck all to start it up every day. I have always been an every day smoker ever since I was 17, and I only really have gotten a handle on it in the last 6 months, though i know, if i let myself go, it is too easy for it to rear it's ugly head again. I have nothing against it, or the people who smoke every day, each to their own I say, but I know I have to be very careful, even when i smoke after taking MD, it's very easy to get the taste for it again.

Fuckin oath dude, my situation and thoughts exactly, apart from the age differences - I was pretty much a daily smoker from the age of 15 to 20.

Feels very fucking good to have a handle on the shit. :)

5% of users smoke once a week? from a survey of 16 to 24 year olds?
come on, either i know alot of people that smoke weed or those stastics are wrong.

then again, 72% of statistics are made up on the spot.

"Our levels of cannabis use in Australia are higher than any other English speaking country," he said.

Well done Australia!

Seriously though, I agree with some of the other posts with regards to quitting. I was a daily user for many years, then after quitting couldn't get over all I had been missing out on because I was too stoned.

Being a person who cant roll joints to save his life, just refusing to have a bong anywhere near me made quitting very easy.

I haven't smoked weed since the start of the year, and i'm so glad i quit. I'm so much more in tune with everything that's going on around me... Now i can't even stand the stuff when i'm dropping.
Weed can be fun, but in moderation, like all drugs me thinks