Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Antioxidants

bill joe

Bluelighter
There is evidence to suggest antioxidants can aid in the prevention of neurotoxicity with ecstasy use but I was wondering if it would also aid in the prevention of neruoxiticity in other drugs. I would think it would aid in meth use for one due to the chemical similarity between the two molecules.

So any one know if they do have use for other substances.

Briefly; Antioxidants will aid in preventing toxicity from the metabolic products of both, but the actions of meth that result in neurotoxicity are different from those of MDMA. You will find more in-depth info by searching the Advanced Drug Discussion forum

I think everyone who takes drugs (particularly if you also drink alcohol) should be taking a Milk Thistle supplement. Milk Thistle is not only a powerful antioxidant but also a terrific liver tonic.... and I see no reason the benefits should be limited to mdma.

A quick search yielded this.

Oxidative stress, reactive oxygen (ROS), and nitrogen (RNS) species have been known to be involved in a multitude of neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's disease (PD), Alzheimer's disease (AD), and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Both ROS and RNS have very short half-lives, thereby making their identification very difficult as a specific cause of neurodegeneration. Recently, we have developed a high performance liquid chromatography/electrochemical detection (HPLC/EC) method to identify 3-nitrotyrosine (3-NT), an in vitro and in vivo biomarker of peroxynitrite production, in cell cultures and brain to evaluate if an agent-driven neurotoxicity is produced by the generation of peroxynitrite. We show that a single or multiple injections of methamphetamine (METH) produced a significant increase in the formation of 3-NT in the striatum. This formation of 3-NT correlated with the striatal dopamine depletion caused by METH administration. We also show that PC12 cells treated with METH has significantly increased formation of 3-NT and dopamine depletion. Furthermore, we report that pretreatment with antioxidants such as selenium and melatonin can completely protect against the formation of 3-NT and depletion of striatal dopamine. We also report that pretreatment with peroxynitrite decomposition catalysts such as 5, 10,15,20-tetrakis(N-methyl-4'-pyridyl)porphyrinato iron III (FeTMPyP) and 5, 10, 15, 20-tetrakis (2,4,6-trimethyl-3,5-sulfonatophenyl) porphinato iron III (FETPPS) significantly protect against METH-induced 3-NT formation and striatal dopamine depletion. We used two different approaches, pharmacological manipulation and transgenic animal models, in order to further investigate the role of peroxynitrite. We show that a selective neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) inhibitor, 7-nitroindazole (7-NI), significantly protect against the formation of 3-NT as well as striatal dopamine depletion. Similar results were observed with nNOS knockout and copper zinc superoxide dismutase (CuZnSOD)-overexpressed transgenic mice models. Finally, using the protein data bank crystal structure of tyrosine hydroxylase, we postulate the possible nitration of specific tyrosine moiety in the enzyme that can be responsible for dopaminergic neurotoxicity. Together, these data clearly support the hypothesis that the reactive nitrogen species, peroxynitrite, plays a major role in METH-induced dopaminergic neurotoxicity and that selective antioxidants and peroxynitrite decomposition catalysts can protect against METH-induced neurotoxicity. These antioxidants and decomposition catalysts may have therapeutic potential in the treatment of psychostimulant addictions

Source.

Some further reading.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
I think everyone who takes drugs (particularly if you also drink alcohol) should be taking a Milk Thistle supplement. Milk Thistle is not only a powerful antioxidant but also a terrific liver tonic.... and I see no reason the benefits should be limited to mdma.

Defintely good advice. I've heard about it a bit before, how much does it cost and where abouts can i acquire it from, chemist?.

You can usually get it at chemists, or healthfood shops. A few brands do Milk Thistle supplements - usually under the names including the word "liver ". I know a brand which is around $14.95 for a months' supply, not sure about the others.

{edit as requested -apologies}

Last edited:
l-tyrosine and antioxidents r great for meth use...from what i have known...it pretty much stops all dopamine headaches for me...and i feel fresh as the next day

so do you take the antioxidants before, during or after your drugs?

oh, ok ;)

try http://www.solgar.co.uk/healthnotes/healthnotes.asp?org=boots&ContentID=1160000

Vit C: Reduced drug absorption/bioavailability—Avoid these supplements when taking this medication since the supplement may decrease the absorption and/or activity of the medication in the body.

This is a page on "mixed amphetamines", rather than methamphetamine specifically. The reference cited is:
Sifton DW, ed. Physicians Desk Reference. Montvale, NJ: Medical Economics Company, Inc., 2000, 2953–4

Note also some lovely stuff on tyrosine, tryptophan, B6 and magnesium. Interesting that Magnesium is listed as both beneficial and adverse - maybe best as a supplement the day before and the day after speeding, rather than during?

Last edited:
so im guessing it would be after for pills as well? would, like one cup of tea or sumthn like that be enough to have an effect?

Taking Vitamin C 2+ hours before meth is unlikely to result in a lowering gastrointestinal pH by any significant degree and therefore have minimal effect on absorption. For the protection this antioxidant can give, I would be hesitant to advise not taking it as a preload. If there was any concern, a bit of bicarb or an antacid could be taken prior to meth consumption in order to raise pH, but really, unless we're talking several grams of Vit C, there'd be little need.

On the ecstasy forum i was told to take it as you take your pill , and when you come down.

I purchased alpha lipoic acid which has a short half life so basically i need to drop it at the same time as the pill or else there would be little point.

How much antioxidents are in a cup of tea as oposed to the ammount in milk thistle tabs. I've been drinking a cup of tea a day since I heard its reall good for you.