• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Natural Psychotropics and Ethnobotanics Thread

on the note of scullcap, valerian, etc., i have some input. last week i bought a bottle of "Ex-Stress" capsules from GNC. they contain hops, valerian, scullcap, cayanne pepper, wood betony, and black cohosh. it tells you to take 1-2 3 times a day, but has no overdose label, or any warning ata all besides the pregnancy warning. i take about 3-5 of them, and smoke a bowl of say mid-grade reefer, and it makes me feel like i've smoked about 4 bowls, not to mention other effects similar to cannabis and even valium.

mulberryman said:
Salvia is best in extract form, but its leaves have mild effects.

It's really easy to make your own extract, I would say it's fun ;)

cold acetone, though i would like to know what other chemicals (besides acetone and isopropyl alchohol) can salvinorin a be extracted with?

Kava is best fresh, but freshly dried powder is ok, but you may need several grams. I don't find it particularily offensive in taste, just a little bitter peppery, not to bad. Unfortunately, its hard to make a good extract, because not all the kavalactones are water soluable, and some are not even alcohol soluable. I've heard that you can use vergetable or mineral oil though.

I've found yohimbe to be one of the most potent and least euphoric stimulants around. High doses cause me to become very jittery and sickishy overstimulated, kinda like taking too much caffeine.

The best I've found has got to be the Mimosa and Syrian rue combo, which is powerfully psychedelic, and very similar to Ayahuasca. Some would say this is Ayahuasca, although, true Ayahuaca is made from Banisteriopsis caapi, caapi vine or Ayahuasca vine instead of Syrian rue. Of course both of these are MAOI's, so one has to be careful not to eat certain foods while taking them.

St Johns Wort enhances and prologs the effects of the kava, since it prevents the reuptake of GABA, while kava is a GABA-a receptor agonist, similar to benzodiazepines.

None of the tropanes will produce noticable effects, when smoked, from what I understand. A small amount of brugmansia is sometimes added to Ayahuasca, and it does help potentiate the effects, but one needs to be very careful with these types of plants.

^I would think that St Johns Wort would decrease effect; does it not have GABA anatagonist properties?

I would usually consume kava with millk and lecithtin granules to emuslify. Kava water extracts never do much for me unless you leave it for a good few days. My GABA erceptors suck shit though.

Hey Erick, If you ever make it to Antarctica, try extracted rue alkaloids with dmt. Zero nausea or diarhea . Better than mushrooms by far (imho), still long lasting depending on dose of maoi and type of maoi. Everything that ayahuasca is plus predictable doseing and minus the negative side effects.

willow11 said:
^I would think that St Johns Wort would decrease effect; does it not have GABA anatagonist properties?

I'm not aware of any. From what I understand SJW contains 2 chemicals, hypericin and hyperforin. Hypericin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, and hyperforin inhibits the reuptake of serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, glutamate and GABA. True glutamate should counteract the GABA to some degree, but from personal experience, I find STJ to enhance effects and lower tolerance for both benzos and kava.

Eric Smyth said:
That's a great combination, I LOVE THE VISUALS FROM IT. But I HATE THE NAUSEA. After trying it many times and always getting nausea and feeling sick from it, I stopped using it. Maybe if made with Banisteriopsis caapi it might be less nauseating, but I doubt it.

Yeah, it can be rough. I find the best way is to take the rue first, ground up and parachuted or in capsules, and slowly, one cap at a time. Then after about 20-40 min then take the mimosa or mimosa extract or tea, also slowly. I find it helps to take it with sugary, fibery food, cereal bars work really well.

Kava is defintely somewhat hit and miss....I have added ssaliva (my own) to my concoction with varying results. I find extract pills absolutely useless however. I also get very intense nausea of a milky preparetion of kava- so much so that I really don't feel like trying it again.

Mulberryman, I cannot remember where I read that; there is a large chance its a ficticous "fact" created by my head ;)

added your own saliva eh? you just save it in a cup next to your keyboard?

Yeah, kava pills are usually worthless. The thing about kava, it really depends on how fresh it is. Once dried, it loses potency rather quickly, and usually only good for 3-4 weeks. The capsules they sell in health food stores have probably been sitting around for a while, and even if they're still good, you'd probably need the whole bottle for even an average dose.

mulberryman said:
None of the tropanes will produce noticable effects, when smoked, from what I understand. A small amount of brugmansia is sometimes added to Ayahuasca, and it does help potentiate the effects, but one needs to be very careful with these types of plants.

Tropanes can be smoked. I've never tried, but its in the literature.

one herb i haven't seen talked much about on here is Pedicularis densiflor (indian warrior), i love it. seems to be the only other herb with worthwhile potency compared to cannabis. has a nice sweet taste with thick smoke, no throat discomfort at all.. actually feels like it should be smoked, goes great rolled in a joint with cannabis as it seems to potentate it greatly, you can also make a tea out of it before bedtime..

effects have an obvious muscle relaxation with a contentment towards everything around me, i also notice a heightened sense of touch when i pick things up or walk around, which is nice.. very relaxing at the end of the day

oh and also a few native tribes around the mountainous parts of the US , as it grows in high altitudes naturally, are known to smoke it medicinally
good stuff, i'd recomend it

Never heard of it, can't find it in any of my medicinal/psychoactive plant books either.

Pedicularis densiflora, Indian Warrior & Pedicularis groenlandica, Elephants Head & Pedicularis grandiflora.

All of the Pedicularis' are tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, powerful aphrodesiacs, and sedatives. They are often employed medicinally for muscle pain and tension, particularly back pain. Pedicularis are also used for their psychological effects, good for anger, fear, pain, anxiety. At least one Native American tribe is known to smoke the flowers of certain Pedicularis species for their medicinal effects and narcotic effects. These plants are a welcome addition to any smoking mixture both as flavor and a narcotic. Elephant's Head is claimed to have the best flavor but is the mildest, but every Pedicularis has an excellent taste. P. Densiflora being the most potent species.

Elephant's Head dries to beautiful red or purple buds with what appears to be red hairs. Indian Head dries into green buds that could easily confuse a local peace officer. The narcotic effects however are profoundly different. Pedicularis are somewhat rare plants found in mountainous regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Since they are semi-parasitic, supplementing its photosynthesis with thievery and are not at all easy to cultivate, these factors make them very rare in Ethnobotanical collections. Pedicularis groenlandica is also found in Labrador and Greenland and is rarely parasitic, like its name implies the flowers really do look like pink Elephant heads. Cheyenne Indians made it into a tea to break up a cough.

yeah i read that on a supplier's website. would rather have some ethnobotanical sources though. Anytime something pops up thats not in the encylopedia of psychoactive plants I get interested. %)

PsyGhost said:
yeah i read that on a supplier's website. would rather have some ethnobotanical sources though. Anytime something pops up thats not in the encylopedia of psychoactive plants I get interested. %)

its a nice and simple herb to enjoy, it's not a heavy feeling effect either.. i actually feel quite light on my toes, and mainly just refreshed. i love getting some nice quality cognac rolling papers and rolling a batch to keep in my pocket and enjoy throughout the day. the taste of the densiflora family hits my sweet spot, smooth and milky smoke.. ah anyway %) .. check it out sometime