Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

pills and anti-depressants

coulage

Bluelighter
pills and anti-depressants/antibiotics/cold and flu tabs

what are the risks of pilling while also taking SSRI's (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors, or common anti-depressant)? i have 'heard' several things, including that the anti-depressant counteracts the effect of the mdma. and the other is seratonin overload ->coma etc. if anyone knows about the reactions of these drugs from 'personal' experiences (ive read .gov webpages), the information would be appreciated. my depression probably was accelerated by drug use (although i never have come downs...weird huh), and i know its incredibly stupid to continue to use, but hey. i have been taking pills for about 2 years, on average maybe 1 or 2 times a month. i have abstained for over a month now, but theres an event coming up, and im thinking i should stop my medication, party, and then resume...?

'...additionally, i have found that taking otc cold and flu tablets or antibiotics also block the effects of mdma, even though i specifically asked my doc how they interact, and he said they have no bearing on each other whatsoever...meanwhile im sitting at the club wishing i was seeing the lady with a giant phallus for one arm, and eating sandwiches with the other that i saw the weekend before on the same blue 007's of 2004...that was on codral cold n flu. twice i have made the mistake of being on antibiotics, but never again....'

Last edited:
im pretty sure if your are on ssri med you wont feel any effects from the pills. i dont know how long you would have to be off the meds to be able to take mdma/mdxx and get effects. Most people on this board will probably tell you to stay on your meds and not think about pills until you have finished your course on them. this is only pieced together from what ican remeber reading on the board i have no experience in this field what so ever.

the search engine would get you some more info im sure

hm. yes...i am on these damned prescription drugs indefinately....which means i ultimately will probably bow out of the drug scene...but not just yet...it took around 2 weeks for the ssri's to come into full effect, so im assuming it would take approximately the same to ween urself off. i have spoken to my gp about my drug use, but i dont feel comfortable saying 'heya doc! thanks for the anti depressants. btw, can u up the dose in a few weeks? ill need it, as im going on a drug binge!'. i know its very foolish to continue to use and ill probably end up with some form of psychosis. ah well. ill be taking pills either from a foil sheet or a satty!

Be Careful and Safe!

Be cautious yo! Depending on your natural body chemistry (which is unfortunately unique in every single human being) and the many chemicals that can be mixed with MDMA, you could potentially create a combination in your brain that makes you "pill till it hurts"...ie, a deficiency (natural, or unnatural due to your pharmecutical treatments) in monamine axidose (spelling?) which inhibits your body's ability to break down MDMA, making it last WAY too long....sure some crazy mofo's reckon an 8-hour pill would be f**in awesome....but once it happens once, every subsequent pill experience would be warped because your subconcious will compare the experience to your previous experience....unless you consistently have 8-hour pills (not reccomended)

Re: Be Careful and Safe!

Nickelodeon said:
Be cautious yo! Depending on your natural body chemistry (which is unfortunately unique in every single human being) and the many chemicals that can be mixed with MDMA, you could potentially create a combination in your brain that makes you "pill till it hurts"...ie, a deficiency (natural, or unnatural due to your pharmecutical treatments) in monamine axidose (spelling?) which inhibits your body's ability to break down MDMA, making it last WAY too long....sure some crazy mofo's reckon an 8-hour pill would be f**in awesome....but once it happens once, every subsequent pill experience would be warped because your subconcious will compare the experience to your previous experience....unless you consistently have 8-hour pills (not reccomended)

Sorry if this seems rude, but most of this is just wrong.

Taking MDMA with MAOIs is *extremely dangerous* and should not be attempted.

Most people report that taking MDMA with SSRIs either partially or completely blocks the effect of the pills. This is because the SSRIs deny MDMA access to the serotonin transporter, which is necessary for it to achieve its desired effect.

Taking more pills to "bypass" the SSRI won't work, and is potentially dangerous.

You're best off simply finding a different drug, if that's at all possible. You're on your medication for a reason, and getting over depression is much more important than a few nights out on pills.

Re: Re: Be Careful and Safe!

VelocideX said:

You're best off simply finding a different drug, if that's at all possible. You're on your medication for a reason, and getting over depression is much more important than a few nights out on pills.

Or not using at all. Try the event without drugs... you might surprise yourself :)

Also, you might want to have a read through this thread:

Antidepressants & recreational drug use

Try Mirtazapine if you want to take MDMA and anti-depressants!

If you REALLY want to take MDMA on anti-depressants, switch to Mirtazapine (Avanza trade name i think) as my mate is on them, and he took 1 good pill, and was peaking hard for 4 hours. You take Mirtazapine after dinner, as it makes you sleepy and tired, you have a great sleep. By the next night it is wearing off ( as it wears off you get higher and higher *naturally*) and then you take MDMA and you fly !!!

If you get home after MDMA and want to sleep, dont bother with Benzo's, just take mirtazapine, it puts you straight to sleep.

man it is pissing down outside - i am in thailand. nothing to do but surf the net!

Last edited:
hey, thanks guys.

doc beat, even if its not just so i can get high, your idea of switching to Mirtazapine sounds like a pretty good plan, as my current one (zoloft- which is apparently the most 'successful') has given me chronic insomnia :( it's all a vicious cycle...depression and tiredness from drug use (mebe), anti-depressants for depression, but u cant sleep, so are tired, you want to take drugs when u go out cos youre tired!!! oh, the joyous little ironies of life :p

before i was prescribed zoloft, i was like to my (actual) doc, "look...there is absolutely no way im gunna make it through the assessment period without 'some help'...if not something you'll write me a script for, then itll have to be speed"...and i wasn't trying to be a funny bastard either..! :S

ah well, perhaps i'll wake up to myself tomorrow...

but thanks again for the replies :)

Or not using at all. Try the event without drugs... you might surprise yourself
----------------------------------------

hehe...yeah...ive attempted this a few times, and it wasnt that bad at all!
however, i was thinking like..."hey, im having a really fun time! but....i COULD be having so much MORE fun!"

actually, ive been thinking...im just one of those people it really, really sux to be. no pills, no pot (i started to freak out a little so i quit ages ago...not that i was a hardcore smoker tho), no speed...ffs, even ALCOHOL doesnt agree with me!!! why? oh whhhhhhhyyyyyyy????

oh, and just another 'im wondering' thing...maybe someone else feels theyve been jipped in their body chemistry?

horrid as this sounds, i have only ever truly 'buzzed' from one particular cap. from pills, sure i feel good, but not as good as it seems everyone else does, which is a bit sad. on the same token however, i never have had a rough comedown, whenever others (from same source) have been pretty well f*cked for a few days. which is weird...spose it makes sense tho, u only go down as far as uv gone up? i asked my doc, and he said thats just the way i am....damn me.

sorry, just one last thing, is it...normal for it to take at least an hour, im not surprised when its 90mins, before u feel the effects of a pill? im thinking no...

What's the bet that in a few days or a week someone posts a question asking about taking SSRI's and XTC?! Oh well, you can only try.
----------------------

:D sowwy....

8a. What are some of the side effects of MDMA?
From Erowid: Onset = 20-90 minutes, Coming Up = 5-20 minutes, Plateau = 2-3 hours, Coming Down = 1-2 hours, After Effects = 3-24 hours.

and again.

*How Long Zoloft Takes to Work:

Like all SSRIs anywhere from a couple days to over a month. If you don't feel any positive benefit after six weeks, then you should talk to your doctor about either another SSRI or trying a med that hits another neurotransmitter.

*Zoloft's Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System:

With a 26 hour half-life it will take five to six days to clear out of your system.

*How to Stop Taking Zoloft:

Your doctor should be recommending that you reduce your dosage by 25mg a day every week days if you need to stop taking it, if not more slowly than that. Based on the 26 hour half-life. For more information, please see the page on how to safely stop taking these crazy meds.
If you've worked your way up to a particular dosage, it's usually best to spend this many days at the next lowest dosage before going down the next lowest dosage before that and so forth. This is the least sucky way to avoid problems when stopping any psychiatric medication. Presuming you have the option of slowly tapering off them.

*How Zoloft Works In Your Brain:

Like all SSRIs Zoloft (sertraline hydrochloride) doesn't make you produce more serotonin, rather it makes your neurons soak for a longer period of time in the serotonin you already produce. Serotonin is one of the big three neurotransmitters responsible for depression, along with norepinephrine and dopamine. My wild-ass guess / rule of thumb is that imbalances of one or more of the three are responsible for 80% of the depression issues. It's all just a matter of figuring out exactly the extent of the tweaking and what neurotransmitters you exactly need to tweak.

http://www.crazymeds.org/zoloft.html

Thanks for the info and references... just a reminder to take some references with a grain of salt.

Despite what that reference says, zoloft should be tapered over a period of several weeks. Discontinuation symptoms may not be unbearable in all people, but they are frequent enough to give cause for caution

Re: Try Mirtazapine if you want to take MDMA and anti-depressants!

Dr. Beat said:
If you REALLY want to take MDMA on anti-depressants, switch to Mirtazapine (Avanza trade name i think) as my mate is on them, and he took 1 good pill, and was peaking hard for 4 hours. You take Mirtazapine after dinner, as it makes you sleepy and tired, you have a great sleep. By the next night it is wearing off ( as it wears off you get higher and higher *naturally*) and then you take MDMA and you fly !!!

If you get home after MDMA and want to sleep, dont bother with Benzo's, just take mirtazapine, it puts you straight to sleep.

man it is pissing down outside - i am in thailand. nothing to do but surf the net!

i can back this one up. i'm on Avanza and it has no negative effects on ecstasy. it is also sometimes good for getting you to sleep the next day. i say sometimes, because depending on how many pills you've had it might not work. if i've had 4 or 5 good pills then not even two Avanzas will knock me out.

Theres no point taking pills when on SSRIs because they don't work. I really think giving up pills is a small price to pay for overall happiness. Just take other drugs. I find other stuff like speed, g, k etc work just fine.

When I go out, people still hassle me for being too agitated because I'm not retarded on pills like the rest of them, but I think it's ok...I have the upper hand in the situation. :p... clarity and all that.

im going to see my gp tomorrow, and ill ask him about avanza. it sounds pretty good, and that it has no negative effects on ecstasy is even better! but the main reason is zoloft is giving me sleeping problems from hell...plus nausea that has persisted, and its totally taken my appetite (i normally eat heeeeaps).

i havent really gone out even drinking, much less eating pills, in the past 2 months, havent smoked weed for like, 8 or 9 months, and im gunna try and keep myself on the slightly more straight side permanantly, but every now and again a little adventure would be nice.

in regards to choosing another drug, wouldnt speed have much of a similar effect on your dopamine regulation as ecstasy does on that of seratonin? wouldnt that be pretty nasty too?

additionally, i have found that taking otc cold and flu tablets or antibiotics also block the effects of mdma, even though i specifically asked my doc how they interact, and he said they have no bearing on each other whatsoever...meanwhile im sitting at the club wishing i was seeing the lady with a giant phallus for one arm, and eating sandwiches with the other that i saw the weekend before on the same blue 007's of 2004...that was on codral cold n flu. twice i have made the mistake of being on antibiotics, but never again.

Last edited:
ok, went to my gp this morning, and im going to give avanza a shot. he actually said he thought of these initially, but due to my oversleeping problem, opted for zoloft! yay!! sleep...

also, im very happy, cos i have conceeded failure and im so ok with that! no more uni!!! =D