• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amphetamine/Meth withdrawals...

Motox786

Bluelighter
I realize this has been covered many times, so don't go saying UTFSE and shit...
Anyways, I really haven't found what I've been looking for from going through all the threads about this...

Alright, I have ADHD and i'm prescribed 30mg dexedrine per day. I have been taking this every day for over a year. I also use Meth occasionally on the weekends... Lately (last 3 month), I have been using more like 40-50mg of dexedrine every day to get the effects I once had on it.

I think it's time to quit using it every day, but I think I would have trouble with work because I am so used to the extra energy and concentration. I'm going to quit using it anyways though because I don't want to live like this anymore. I would much rather just use it occasionally (once a month or less) for recreational purposes...

Would anyone think Wellbutrin would help with the withdrawal symptoms, which usually consist of sleeping and eating too much? I have plenty of Wellbutrin and strattera, but I dont think strattera would help at all with the tiredness.

Anything that could help me out with this would be appreciated.

Oh, and I am a manager at my workplace, so it is very important that I have the highest level of concentration and motivation as possible. that is why I need some serious help. I don't want my job as manager taken away because I become unorganized and forgetful.

I couldn't recommend Buproprion, I was on it for 4 years or so, and it made me a manic zombie. (depression).

I also had similiar feelings as you do, like thinking work will suck, not be up to par in performance, etc. I quit, and well, I didn't do as well at work, or as fast, because I wasn't on amphetamines. See, this kind of drug enhances your performance on certain tasks.

I would recommend a new compound called Sam-E, google it...its supposedly all the rave in a homeopathic/natural/non perscription way of treating symptoms of ADD and depression. My mother is a psychiatric nurse and has WITNESSED great things after patients have stopped using stimulants and used this compound. Give it a shot, its inexpensive, and can be ordered online.

Goodluck to you, and Wellbutrin is evil. Remember that.

I was on welbutrin, best anti-dep I was on. It prevents you from eating too much and sleeping too much, but if you've been using amphs for so long, you NEED to eat/sleep extra to recover.

See your doc and ask him about how to go about lowering the dose. While people here can give you advice about stopping if it was just recreational use, if you've been prescribed it, it's best to ask the doc as (s)he will have a lot more of your medical history to go by than anyone here does (I'd leave the bit about occasional meth use out though)

wellbutrin will have a more stimulanting effect, familar to you. to ease you along as an alternative. As long as you truely stop the amphetamines.

Never take them together.

Today was my last day of Dexedrine. I just threw the rest out...

Tommorow I am going to start on the Wellbutrin again. I have actually read some articles lately that people have done studies about using Wellbutrin in the treatment of Methamphetamine addiction... They say that is it somewhere near 40-50% effective compared to 10-15% without any medication.

I figure if it can help people who are seriously addicted to a drug like meth, it could help me because I am not addicted and dexedrine is no where near as potent as meth... This study was done in rehab clinics, so there is another factor in there, but I'm not truly addicted to dexedrine, so it shouldn't be a problem...

^Hmmm, dexedrine is dextroamphetamine sulfate, which is quite similar to meth, you may not be "hitting that glass dick" but you still sound like you have an addiction. ....

xxanxx said:
^Hmmm, dexedrine is dextroamphetamine sulfate, which is quite similar to meth, you may not be "hitting that glass dick" but you still sound like you have an addiction. ....

eh, he threw the rest out. and sounds determined. good potential here.
lets not flaw that mind set for him ;p

Like I said, I am taking it for ADHD, not to get high. I do feel that I have a problem though because I feel like I NEED it to get through the day, and it shouldn't be like this... I never really took any higher of a dose than 50mg, so it was never very euphoric for me, except for maybe the first few weeks. It just helped me concentrate and get things done...

Now that I'm not gonna have it anymore, I need something to help me with the withdrawal symptoms for a couple weeks until I can go back to normal like I was before I started taking dexedrine... I set up an appointment with my doctor, but it is not until a couple months and I don't want to wait that long as it was really becoming a problem lately.

Motox don't think you're going to return to normal after "a couple of weeks" of being off speed, if you ever do. Personal experience has showed me that the REAL WD's from amps don't start for about three or four days after stopping, and you're lucky if the craving ever goes away.

Remember, you're not trying to get high off the shit, you're just trying to maintain normal brain function... the ability to just pop a pill and in half an hour be "normal" is worse than any physical addiction...

Synapse999 said:
wellbutrin will have a more stimulanting effect, familar to you. to ease you along as an alternative. As long as you truely stop the amphetamines.

Never take them together.

Why? I love taking the two together, it's similar to an ecstasy roll if you've been taking the welbutrin for a while >D

I think you guys don't realize what doing speed while having ADHD is like... I am much more sociable and have a lot more fun when I DON'T take them. They actually calm me down and seem to actually make me tired sometimes... The only problem is that I can't work quite as good because I can't concentrate and remember to do everything I'm supposed to (common symptoms of ADHD), and being on dexedrine for so long is going to make this worse when stopping it. So basically, if I don't take the dexedrine, I'll just go back to the way I was before. It sucks, but I was wondering if Wellbutrin would help with this.

Today will be my second day of being off the Dexedrine so far. The Wellbutrin seems to give me more energy but doesn't help with my ADHD at all really... At least I can pretend like I'm doing something productive at work instead of being a lazy bitch. I've also been taking NoDoz every day before work. It doesn't really do anything either, but it was worth a try.

I suppose quitting weed for a while would help too. But that's another story.

I was wondering if long term meth users actually develop ADHD...because now when I use speed, it makes me sleepy (look at me, this is my 3rd day up, and I've been sober 4 days, wtf!)... I can't sleep without it.

I think that the problem with some people in the community is the belief, "Everyone is a drug addict, some people don't know it."

I think it is very obvious that Motox786 is a patient who is being treated for ADHD.

Just because someone is taking dexedrine does not mean that they will develop an addiction. In fact, there is very good reason to believe that addiction potential is determined genetically.

I think that it is difficult for someone with an addiction to understand that this does not afflict everyone.

I'll use myself as an example: I occasionally suffer from extreme back pain. The last time I had to deal with it I was receiving hydrocodone, and took it daily for 2 months. When the back pain subsided to where I could tolerate it, I stopped taking the hydrocodone. No weening, no drug seeking, no going to the medicine cabinet and gazing at the bottle of hydrocodone. No big deal. That was 18 months ago. I still have an almost full bottle of hydrocodone sitting in my medicine cabinet, and except for the fact that it is capable of dealing with my back pain, I have no more of an emotional reaction to it then I do Advil.

That does not make me any better or any worse than someone afflicted with an addiction potential. What it does illistrate is that substance addiction potential is a unique and special case, and not a universal condition.

Viewing everyone as an addiction waiting to happen is a fallicy. Just as viewing everyone as a alcoholic waiting to happen is a fallicy.

Motox786 said:
I think it's time to quit using it every day, but I think I would have trouble with work because I am so used to the extra energy and concentration. I'm going to quit using it anyways though because I don't want to live like this anymore. I would much rather just use it occasionally (once a month or less) for recreational purposes...

Would anyone think Wellbutrin would help with the withdrawal symptoms, which usually consist of sleeping and eating too much? I have plenty of Wellbutrin and strattera, but I dont think strattera would help at all with the tiredness.

Anything that could help me out with this would be appreciated.

Oh, and I am a manager at my workplace, so it is very important that I have the highest level of concentration and motivation as possible. that is why I need some serious help. I don't want my job as manager taken away because I become unorganized and forgetful.
You do not sound like you have an addiction problem. So, unless I am wrong, thinking that you need to address withdrawls is a waste of time and effort.

If you are having success with Strattera in managing your concentration, what you may want to do is see if your physican will prescribe Provigil (Modafinil) concurrently with it.

Provigil is not effective in treating ADHD, and I am often puzzled when doctors try to prescribe it for that. But the tiredness which you experience may very well be effectively addressed with this drug.

And before the obligatory floodgates open up of pissing and moaning people, bitching about how Provigil didn't help their ADHD, and that it is a crappy drug because they did not get high off of Provigil:

1) Provigil is NOT an ADHD treatment.
2) Provigil is a medication

Motox786 said:
I think you guys don't realize what doing speed while having ADHD is like... I am much more sociable and have a lot more fun when I DON'T take them. They actually calm me down and seem to actually make me tired sometimes... The only problem is that I can't work quite as good because I can't concentrate and remember to do everything I'm supposed to (common symptoms of ADHD), and being on dexedrine for so long is going to make this worse when stopping it. So basically, if I don't take the dexedrine, I'll just go back to the way I was before. It sucks, but I was wondering if Wellbutrin would help with this.

Today will be my second day of being off the Dexedrine so far. The Wellbutrin seems to give me more energy but doesn't help with my ADHD at all really... At least I can pretend like I'm doing something productive at work instead of being a lazy bitch. I've also been taking NoDoz every day before work. It doesn't really do anything either, but it was worth a try.

I suppose quitting weed for a while would help too. But that's another story.

Actually i do understand that situation. ADHD is not just a list of "Symptoms". It is the personality, its you. and it is actually a great gift.
Once accepted and used to benift.
Now, i seriously don't want this to be another thread drifting off topic like it always has in past. So ending that concept. and Kandy k's question for right now.

Yes, you will exhibit some of the noticeable symptoms listed as adhd.
Which is actually just features shared for general "substance abuse". (among other disorders) Which is the psychiactric diagnosis.

With that said.
My reccomendation is you don't start messing around with OTC crap to try and have both the normal you + focous abilities you had with dex.
no-doz etc. Its all bad, and more likely make it worse.

As for Wellbutrin, be patient...go at least a month with it and without amphetamine. I'm glad to see you are in position where you are....its criticle you get your mind off of the effects amps have on you.
If you want medical treatment go with a non-stimlant you mentioned.
wellbutrin is good, becaues its partially between both after awhile.

Forget about being tired, and live it out. it will be worse and effect your work by trying to balance all this and trying to figure it out.

Once you get back to way you were without taking meds, you should learn that you can actually work extremely effective.. if you do things that make it easier. i.e. do multiple things at once, switch between them...alot of tips and tricks.

You can't start taking some meds to help a "withdrawl" then look for stimulants to get the "energy". you are tricking yourself into trying to pieace together your dexedrine. won't happen. have to get it out of mind, and start reading about alternative ADHD methods. not alternative drugs.

Trust me, it is not worth trying to get it all "together" at once.

stoy420 said:
actually, its probably a bad idea to 'go off' of perscribed medicine

Yeah, thats a general written sentence, on most drugs.
Thanks.

But, the situation at hand. is beyond that first step.