Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The drug buses

monty

Bluelighter
guys, im from WA, and currently we dont have the drug testing going on. But i gather it will be here by the end of the year..

for those of you in states where drug testing has become available, im just curious as to whether the tesing has infact changed yours, or your friends behaviours in regard to driving after a big night.

just wondering has peoples attitudes changed since they have become in place. because lets face it, if it were totally legal to drink and drive, most people would drive without question.

So will it change people over here (WA) and there attitude towards driving with drugs in the system due to the fact that they may be caught now, potentially losing there license

Last edited:
monty said:

just wondering has peoples attitudes changed since they have become in place. because lets face it, if it were totally legal to drink and drive, most people would drive without question.

I disagree... cant say that i would drink & drive if it were not against the law. one thing to keep in mind is that its not only yourself u put at risk, but other innocent ppl out on the roads :\ I dont doubt that drink driving would increase, but wouldnt go so far as to say 'most' ppl would do it.

And to answer your question on changed attitude towards drug bus....
the only thing that probably changes in relation to this is ppl thinking twice before driving with drugs in their system, only for the mere fact that they might get caught. i doubt it is because they have a sudden realisation that goes something like this: 'the police are now doing roadside drug testing... OMG, it must not be safe to drive while on drugs - how could i have been so stupid... im so against it now' LOL

Now im not trying to say that driving under influence of drugs is any safer or less dangerous than that of alcohol - but if we're talking about stimulants vs. depressants : i know what i'd rather be driving on. :)

Anyways, just my tired input before i hit the sack.
Goodnight :|

~pharm_friendly~

Last edited:
yeah i didnt mean there attitudes changed into beleiving what they were doing was wrong.
im just wondering have people changed there attitudes with drug driving because of the risk they they might get caught and face losing license ect..

i have friends that drive with drugs in there system after a nite out, but im sure people might not want to be the driver anymore from fear of getting caught...
cos at the moment, anyone is willing to drive....wrong as it may be, but like it or not thats how it is.
dont wanna make this a debate on right or wrongs just curious to see whether ou folk from the eastern states now are afraid to drive, and you all get taxi's home ect.

i think my attitude mite change a bit (i like in Perth)

but i would probably get ppl do do a recon on the route i am going to take home, or i will take the back streets, i would not be bothered getting pulled over by a car, as they have a breath tester, not a drug tester.

there is a big problem with people driving on cannabis, but i do not think the stoners attitudes will change.

and please don't let this topic turn into a debate/discussion on weather it is safe to drive on drugs.
the reality is people do, do it, and we are more interested in there attitudes, and how it will change once a drug bus is in force.

also why the need for a drug bus all of a sudden, there has not been any reports of people dying while on drugs to my knowledge in the news lately at all.

The problem with Perth is, we have the worst public transport system i know of.... Trains and busses stop running at 1 or 2 am.... and don't start again until 6... so that means an awful lot of empty clubs... and taxi fares are remarkably huge over here, i'm looking at about $40 on top of my night out just to get home. So i'm usually designated driver after a night out on [insert stimulant here] and although i think i'm crazy to do it most of the time, the reality is, i couldn't possibly afford to go out otherwise. I try to wait until i feel safe to drive... but you never really can tell until you get behind the wheel.... on that note, it's pretty dengerous to drive at 4 or 5 in the morning after a night of dancing even if you have no drugs of any kind in your system.... because you flake pretty quickly... i think the solution to the problem isn't testing for drugs, it's improving our public transport system, and maybe giving some sort of subsidy for taxi fares... and i guess my answer in all this is 'yes' i would think twice about driving because i could get caught, but i think it will also mean that i wont go out at all.... because there's no other feasible way to get home.

we are more interested in there attitudes, and how it will change once a drug bus is in force.
If you look at the drink driving case, the introduction of penalties was one of the main driving (pardon the pun) forces in changing public perceptions about its danger, IMO. When the law was introduced, people thought it was outrageous and all the pubs would go broke. AFAIK that didn't happen ;)

frog-e I hear your concerns but I don't think you can expect government subsidies for engaging in illegal behaviour any time soon mate! :) Policing areas like Northbridge is a major expense and hassle for Perth cops and I'm sure they'd much prefer if we all stayed at home and had a nice cuppa on the couch ;)

Anyhoo, I hope drug driving laws change behaviour in WA when they're introduced, two of my mates have died from drug driving over there in the last three years and I'm bloody lucky to have made it home myself a few times. Hopefully the law will wise people up to the danger so not everyone has to learn the hard way :)

So surely someone would be able to link me to some info about how long it takes for illegal substances to get out of your system?

I would never drink and drive thats just stupid... and I would never drive while im peaking... i would however if i was peaking and need to drive to get home, i would have a line of speed... if u are going to pill and drive pill, please have a line of speed... safety first... use ur brain :D

Silliemillie: Please search the forum - this information has been posted many times. Use the terms "drug" and "testing" and that should give you heaps of results. Alternatively, start at www.erowid.org and navigate to their Drug Testing Vault, which contains similar information.

Igyzigy: While it might seem like good advice, taking MORE drugs in order to DRIVE a car, is extremely dangerous. The appropriate advice to offer in this situation is WAIT until you are no longer feeling the effects of the pills, or get someone else who is not on drugs to drive. Speed is not the "clean-up" you need... and worse, it's definitely one of the first drugs tested for by these buses, which is really to do with the question at hand.

BigTrancer :)

drug testing hasnt changed for me or my friends here in melbourne. fear of being cought is there, but the need and fun of driving under the influence out balances the problem of being tested. for me and my friends anyway.

Last edited:
sil80 said:
drug testing hasnt changed for me or my friends here in melbourne. fear of being cought is there, but the need and fun of driving under the influence out balances the problem of being tested. for me and my friends anyway.

lol dude, love the honesty.

as was stated before, public transport in Perth is a absolute joke, and the reason why it is so bad is because of crime, and also to keep taxi drivers employed (and not buying deodorant) something rely has to be done!

as for saying you are on drugs while driving, with alcohol you are able to determine HOW drunk you are, and as a result how dangerous.

but with testing for drugs (i would imagine) it would give a simple yes/no answer, as to you been on them, not how much is in you're system and how much it has affected you.
what about on the comedown, if i test positive, i am FAR less dangerous driving then i would of been while peeking. but it would still return positive..

Can I just point out that you said the public transport starts up at 6am in perth and you said you were going home at 4 or 5am... why dont you just stay out that extra hour or two? Is driving home and killing someone, over sacrificing that hour for a night out really worth it? Hell if you are saving $40 then you could buy a few more stimulants so you can stay up that little bit longer.

My attitudes have changed, mainly because the police being on the road have made me think about just how sober and straight I am. Its not safe at all to be driving on drugs, your judgement is up the shit really. I think some attitudes need to change.

On Sundays, trains in Perth start running at 7am - the clubs all shut at 6. That means a hour of waiting around one of the scarier train stations I know of. No thanks! I worked in Northbridge for six years and lived there too - for good reason, there was no other way to get home from work in the morning (I hate cars). I was lucky, I could afford to do this - most people can't.

Public transport in Perth sucks the big one, I agree, but Stuart, what did you mean when you said:
public transport in Perth is a absolute joke, and the reason why it is so bad is because of crime
??? I'm struggling to make the connection.

Does Perth still operate the NightRider buses? They were an OK idea but I guess they didn't get much use.

aunty establishment said:
On Sundays, trains in Perth start running at 7am - the clubs all shut at 6. That means a hour of waiting around one of the scarier train stations I know of. No thanks! I worked in Northbridge for six years and lived there too - for good reason, there was no other way to get home from work in the morning (I hate cars). I was lucky, I could afford to do this - most people can't.

Public transport in Perth sucks the big one, I agree, but Stuart, what did you mean when you said:

??? I'm struggling to make the connection.

Does Perth still operate the NightRider buses? They were an OK idea but I guess they didn't get much use.

to fix the 'problem' *cough* aboriginals in Perth, they even considered cutting the train services back to 12:00!! the local businesses think that public transport is a major problem, and it brings a lot of trouble makers into the city, so the main push at the moment is to cut back train times, not increase them.

i have been waiting for a train home, at night there it is very scary indeed, i have seen the police just walk away from everyone, as if to ignore the problem, i must complement the great police presence in north bridge, but it still has a long way to go until it is 'cleaned up' they rely need to stop the loitering. of people at the train station and park.

This brings me back to the idea of subsidising taxis. The reality is, people are going to drunk/ take drugs, and the government is currently pushing the nightlife in Northbridge as a tourism thing.... so if we're not allowed to drive, and we can't use public transport because they're cutting it back, then maybe the government could pay a little extra on top of cabbies' wages on a weekend after 11pm or something.... and that passes down to the consumer as a discount... it would mean more people taking taxis, so the taxi drivers would welcome it, and it would mean less drink/drug driving on our roads, so you think the police/government would welcome it, and it would mean more people pouring money into our nightlife which makes us more inviting to tourists so the government should like that too..... you have to spend money to make money... surely the government knows that by now....

You're not thinking this through, frog_e. Tourists to Perth stay, by and large, in the CBD area and are therefore only a short distance to their hotels. The majority of the appeal of Northbridge is for its restaurants and bars - with the exception of a couple of smaller clubs in Northbridge, the clientele is mostly locals. Believe me, from a former Perthian living in one of Perth's biggest overseas tourism revenue sources (Singapore), I can tell you that nightlife is not, generally speaking, seen as one of Perth's great draws ;)

Also remember that Northbridge is primarily the responsibility of Perth City Council, and there's not much incentive for them keeping people past 1am. The fact that any nightclubs in Northbridge are still operating is a testament to the tenacity of organized crime in my (former) fair city :)

Besides that, no government is ever going to be seen to incentivise excessive drinking, let alone drug taking, especially as the revenue raised from alcohol consumption tax and drink-driving penalties is so crucial in maintenance of our crappy state hospitals. It runs directly in contrast with the Accord safer drinking policies they've pushed so hard.

BigTrancer said:
Igyzigy: While it might seem like good advice, taking MORE drugs in order to DRIVE a car, is extremely dangerous. The appropriate advice to offer in this situation is WAIT until you are no longer feeling the effects of the pills, or get someone else who is not on drugs to drive. Speed is not the "clean-up" you need... and worse, it's definitely one of the first drugs tested for by these buses, which is really to do with the question at hand.

BigTrancer :)

Yeah I agree with u it may be dangerous, just in my opinon i would rather a person who has had a small line of louy to be driving after a night on the pills , rather than a person who is scattered or coming down... I would just like to add that just because u havent had drugs or alcoho and u think ur safe to drive, dont assume. I have been to many a rave striaght and have driven, and i tell u the scariest times driving back from a night out is when i have been straight and am struggling to keep my eyes open.

So yeah not having a go at you big trancer, as I think you do great work on this site and should be proud of your efforts.. oh and to all those uni students who are reading this board, EXAMS are over !!!!:D:D:D .. time to party !!!

Well, Tasmania is introducing drug driving tests from the 1st of July. I wouldn't drive under the influence of anything so it won't affect me too much. The thing that I am worried about is if I drop a pill on Saturday night and I test positive on Sunday night. We'll see though. I'm hoping that the testing will only occur on weekends.

It will be interesting to see how many people are busted in the first few months!

igyzigy said:

So yeah not having a go at you big trancer, as I think you do great work on this site and should be proud of your efforts.. oh and to all those uni students who are reading this board, EXAMS are over !!!!:D:D:D .. time to party !!!

Oh man mine end next wednesday :(.

Ontopic: I do think that drug buses will changed the attitude of quite a few users after a big night. For the person who said it cost 40 dollars to get home , why not split a cab with some of your friends after a night and all crash at his/her house untill youve had some sleep.

Btw anyone know how long these drug buses can detect ecstasy in your system. I mean what if i drive in the mourning after some sleep , any chance of getting caught?.