Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 08 Jun 05: Syringe vending machine plan

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Syringe vending machine plan
Kate Jones, medical reporter
08jun05

SYRINGE vending machines should be set up in Melbourne's drug hot-spots to provide clean needles to addicts, a drug support network has proposed.

The controversial plan has been mooted by taxpayer-funded drug support network Anex, the Association for Prevention and Harm Reduction Programs Australia.

Speaking at a drugs conference yesterday, Anex chief executive John Ryan said vending machines would give drug users after-hours access to sterile syringes.

"The evidence is, dispensing machines are effective strategy in providing access to injecting equipment when no other options are available," he said. "They would also lower the risk of HIV transmission and hepatitis C transmission."

Mr Ryan said there was no proof that syringe vending machines encouraged people to use drugs or increased drug use in those already addicted to illegal substances.

Compared with other treatment techniques, vending machines would be an inexpensive service, he said. Needles would cost $2 each, while the 1m-tall machines came to about $10,000, he said.

Mr Ryan said two to three machines should be introduced at locations such as hospitals and drug addiction treatment centres, as part of a trial program in Melbourne.

Victoria is one of the last states in Australia to introduce syringe vending machines.

They were introduced in NSW 12 years ago, in Adelaide 10 years ago, and a year ago in the ACT. Trials of five machines began in Queensland two months ago.

Mr Ryan said Anex had discussed the proposal with the Department of Human Services, but the plan had met with opposition.

A spokesman for Health Minister Bronwyn Pike said one-to-one contact with illicit drug users was a better option than the machines.

The proposal received mixed community reaction.

Bioethicist Dr Nicholas Tonti-Filippini criticised needle vending machines as a risky option.

"We have to ensure the machines exclude access by children because of problems with the syringes. They are potentially weapons," he said. "I can't imagine a council or any responsible body taking it up because of the legal risk."

Police Association assistant secretary Bruce McKenzie said needle dispensers could create more work for police.

Opposition health spokesman David Davis said research was needed into syringe vending machines and their community impact.

"Without clear and persuasive evidence, there is a risk it could send the wrong message," Mr Davis said.

However, the plan won support from the Australia National Council on Drugs, a Federal Government organisation working to reduce the impact of drugs on the community.

Executive officer Gino Vumbaca said areas such as St Kilda might benefit from vending machines.

Vicar General of the Melbourne Archdiocese, Les Tomlinson, said needle dispensers would not win the fight against drugs but could help.

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15545137%5E2862,00.html

BigTrancer :)

I find that amazing.... Cos they wont let pill testing happen at raves & venues.....

They were introduced in NSW 12 years ago, in Adelaide 10 years ago, and a year ago in the ACT. Trials of five machines began in Queensland two months ago.

Can anyone comment on how they see these machines that are already working? How are they going? Any public backlash, warranted or otherwise?

Originally posted by SIM-1
I find that amazing.... Cos they wont let pill testing happen at raves & venues.....

couldn't agree more, I've always been amazed at this apparent double standard...they advocate harm minimization on one hand, and yet not on the other.

Nor does it address the issue of disposal problems...which I tend to agree with the wider community is a real issue.

But none-the-less a step in the right direction.

phase_dancer said:
Can anyone comment on how they see these machines that are already working? How are they going? Any public backlash, warranted or otherwise?

The machines have worked fine in NSW. The biggest problem they faced was that some of the machines were getting vandalised. This has been addressed, and was found to be related to the location of the machine. Locating them outside hospital emergency departments has proved to be one of the best options.

There was some media hysteria with the introduction of one machine in Queensland, but this has died down. The primary concerns are the same as those people have about regular needle and syringe programs. That includes the accessibility of needles to young people, increases in unsafe disposal, encouraging drug use etc.

Regular staffed needle and syringe programs already supply needles to young people under 18, they don't contribute to an increase in unsafe disposal and there is no proof of a rise in injecting drug use related to the increased availability of needles and syringes.

Needle availability is a very well researched area in Australia. There's a wealth of evidence supporting increased availability of clean injecting equipment, and very little evidence supporting the nay-sayers.

Have a read of this for the most comprehensive review of the evidence available, including some discussion on the vending machines in place in various states -> Return on Investment in Needle and Syringe Programs

Also, I do agree with the comments about the differences in harm reduction regarding injecting as opposed to pill testing etc. I think this is because needle and syringe programs were introduced under a Labor government. By the time the coalition came to power, there was a strong body of evidence supporting the harm reduction measures for injecting drug users.

I think it's also worth noting that harm reduction for IV drug users is about reducing the spread of communicable diseases which cost the health system huge amounts of money to treat. The government doesn't really care about the health of drug users. It's more concerned about future costs to the health system, and the spread of communicable diseases to the "general community". That's my very cynical take of the massive gap that exists within harm reduction in this country.

Last edited:
if they do have vending machines the only differnce it make is to use the vending machine instred of staff and charging $2 cause currently in brisbane there is needle exchange in the city open 24 hours and they give em away free you can get as many as 50 at a time

Thanks Flexistentialist, I will read through that very large file when I get the chance. If vandalism due to location is the only significant problem at this stage, then this is good, but I wonder about the lack of personal contact as in regular exchange services, and whether this and the $2 charge will have any negative impact on users.

I see this as very irresponsible and EXTREME encouragement for users to continue their habit, just because these vending machines provide clean needles. I think a needle exchange is a MUCH better idea, and users can dispose of their waste and seek professional advice about their habit at such a location.

The best, proven way to reduce harm from blood borne viruses is to provide the tools for safer injecting. Maximising opportunities for syringe availability reduces rates of needle sharing and therefore rates of HIV and hep C infection.

There's no doubt staffed needle and syringe programs (NSPs) are a better option, but this just can't happen in many areas for a number of reasons - mostly financial.

Syringe vending machines are often located in places that are already providing needles but only in business hours. The vending machines are meant to supplement staffed NSPs rather than replace them.

Increased needle availability does not increase rates of injecting drug use. In fact, as needle availability has increased over the years, recent research would indicate there has in fact been a reduction in injecting drug use across the community. Numerous other studies refute the claim that increased needle availability leads to increases in drug use.

Also, the vending machines are located with sharps bins built in. Every fit pack contains a sharps container too, so the disposal options are exactly the same as those offered by staffed NSPs.

phase_dancer said:

I saw one of these vending machines while I was staying at kings Cross,
I walked past it many times before I realised what it was.

I'm 99% sure that "Joe Citizen" would walk past without realising what it was.

SIM-1 said:
I guess that's because pill testing would require the user to actually be openly in possession of drugs to be tested, whereas the vending machines don't.

It's a lame distinction but I guess for some, "out of sight, out of mind" is somehow considered to be a rational policy.

umm they already have these machines in sydney.. they are out west in parramatta, across the road from the police station in the old hospital foyer, they are usually turned on at 8:30-9pm at night they cost $2 for 4 pack, plus a hard case..

There's three vending machines at our local hospital (yes! junkie town!), right next to the mental health clinic (heh).

$2 gets you some injecting water in a plastic vial, 5 27gauge 0.31mm (from memory, i finally threw all my boxes away) 1ml/100 unit "insulin" syringes, with five alco-swabs for pre or post injection, and a part of the black box has an un-openable (without breaking) section to slide used picks thru a little trapdoor. I have never once seen anyone else use it when I am there, it's there 24/7 and also provides condoms and lube, and 5ml syringe packs.

One thing though.... I assume the big bin next to it is only for disposing of needles... but they seem to be re-using the boxes! (they are taped shut, and you can see the needle disposal part of the case, is all broken and re-glued).. i know this is a silly question.... but theres no way they are resharpening and cleaning the picks right? :p

Splatt said:
but theres no way they are resharpening and cleaning the picks right? :p

Some of the free ones certainly feel like they have been recycled, but I certainly doubt it.

SIM-1 said:

I'd hazard a guess that it is because ecstacy users are much less likely to be at risk of transmitting infectious blood-borne diseases...

^ I think you'll find that vending machines are being CALLED FOR in Victoria - this is a far cry from it actually happening. Various groups have called for pill-testing too, and got the knock back. I wouldn't hold my breath about vending machines getting the green light just yet...

But as both Flex and killarava mention - it's all about protecting the wider community from HIV and other blood borne viruses. So vending machines might have a slightly better chance of getting up. This has to be balanced against the deeper stigmatisation of injecting drug use compared to pill popping. We shall see...

There is(maybe was?!?) 1 of these machines in Albury base hospital.....Personally i hate them,back in the day i didn't have $2 alot of the time!!
Theres no backlash...most people probably don't know its there!!

What a waste. If IV users cant access needles during non business hours, it's their own problem.