• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Depressed pets take drugs, 19th May 05

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
News: Depressed pets take drugs 19th May 05

Depressed pets take drugs

By Jade Bilowol
May 19, 2005

YOUR dog frantically scurries around in circles and snaps at imaginary flies. What can you do to settle down man's mentally unstable best friend? Throw it a bone? No. Take it for a walk? Maybe.

Shake a packet of anti-depressant tablets instead of some doggy biscuits? Bingo.
Proclaimed animal behaviour consultant Robert Stabler says a rising number of domestic animals in Australia are being sedated by anti-depressants to beat the ravages of depression.

The Newcastle-based vet says between 3 to 6 per cent of dogs and cats in Australia suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) – a similar figure to their human counterparts.

And before pet owners shake their heads in disbelief while thinking over images of their dog languishing in the sun, Dr Stabler implores owners not to bark up the wrong tree.

"One of the worse cases I saw was a bull terrier who took half an hour to get from the shed through the door because it was constantly turning around in circles, it was so sad, it had to be euthanised," Dr Stabler says.

Destructive habits that could lead to a dosage of Clomicalm, the animal equivalent of Prozac, include anything from constant shadow chasing to stone chewing to pacing and excessive grooming.

Dr Stabler warns Australia mirrors an American study that found one in 23 cats and one of 103 dogs were put down after their OCD had gone too far.

However, he says early intervention significantly boosts the chances of animals overcoming their neurotic habits.

What could possibly trigger a mental breakdown in your beloved pet?

Dr Stabler puts it down to a mixture of genes and environment, with owners playing a master role in the development or hindrance of OCD in their pets.

"It could be environmental overload, social overload or the opposite ... they could be anxious about separation issues and feeling left behind," Dr Stabler explains.

"For instance, border collies pace up and down the yard, which is often genetic.

"But sometimes environments such as corner blocks or those that are close to schools and shops get the animals aroused and excited and they start spinning in circles."

And whatever you do, don't take the stress of a hard day's work out on your companion.

"Sometimes people are anxious and after a stressful day at work they pass it on to their animals, who might start chewing on stones or pacing," Dr Stabler says.

"The dog might smell their owner's adrenalin or see body language change and may try to get attention by running around in circles.

"And then that makes it worse when the owner laughs and the animal gets attention that way."

While Clomicalm is a potent way to release doggy endorphins by raising the level of Serotonin in the animal's brain, Dr Stabler warns it's not a panacea.

"We have such a busy lifestyle and there is a loss of quality time – love, respect and understanding of what the animal is doing helps," he says.

Suburban Brisbane-based dog trainer Libby Baker says it's crucial more owners detect depression that is hindering their pets.

Ms Baker suggests the problem is compounded by many owners' blindness to their animals' neurotic tendencies.

"Owners are often so used to seeing them perform these habits that they don't know to act on them and help their pets," she says.

Any stigma surrounding administering anti-depressants to pets is unfounded, Ms Baker says.

"OCD has a big impact on the welfare of the animal and while owners may be worried about a behaviour prescription they probably wouldn't think twice about giving their animals drugs for physical problems," Ms Baker says.

She says humans have been quick to take advantage of many seemingly neurotic habits of animals, such as a border collie's herding instinct.

Ms Baker also says that inbreeding could have contributed to the condition.

From News.com.au

We drug our children, why not our pets too...

I goto many outdoor psytrance parties where animals are welcome. Their owners give them a pill or two and they run around having fun barking jumping and playing.. awesome sight ;)

^
wtf isn't 2 pills a bit much for a fucking dog? I mean I assume I weigh more than a dog and 2 pills has me quite fucked up for a few hours , also what in dogs name does the fucking owner now about dog pharmacology? Example --> although parsnip (think it's called like this kitchen herb ) is poison to man in large doses you'd have to eat pounds of it , for cats a few branches are enought to kill them

You like to use the f-word, eh? Tough.

If you scroll up and re-read the post you chose to flame, you will see a small winking face at the end of the post, generally this signifies that the poster is joking. Smile, man :)

aww ok , sry my sense of humor is not very developed and often fails to kick in if something upsets me.

^^ You have a point though, which is basically what I was trying to get across by posting the link to the other thread. DON'T fed your pets drugs unless at the very least you know what the pharmacology is, and particularly the dosages required. Even then, there's certainly an ethical question or two that's raised about giving them pyschoactives.

And for what it's worth, if I saw someone at a rave doing it...you can betcha blotters I'd be f***ing tough too... :X

I think these levels of OCD and depression shows up the unnatural state of living that human society has created, its sad that we are dragging down our pets with us, not to mention the animals we harvest for food and the environment in general.

Sometimes it feels so hopeless I believe sedatives are the answer, just to numb the reality, coz its hard to know what can make it change.

But thats just my mind on a bad day...

I fed my maltese terrier 1,4-B... accidentally... Yeh, don't ask... it was quite funny... 0.5ml of 1,4-B (diluted something cronic) wasted the dog... it's female, and began humping my brothers head... sounds wierd, but she was very happy,... i freaked, and tried to make it spew, but the dog was fine :)