PDA

View Full Version : (film) City of God

Pages : [1] 2

WarmRushes
24-01-2003, 01:04
Has anybody had a chance to see this yet? This may well be the best film I have ever seen and that is saying alot. The characters where supurb, as was the story. It was riverting, funny, very violent and sometimes very disturbing.

karmacoma
26-01-2003, 01:38
I wouldn't say it's the best film I've ever seen, but it IS brilliant and I doubt if I'll see anything better this year.

wanderlust
22-02-2003, 18:28
[quote]Originally posted by Furnace:
Holy fuck.
I just saw the best movie I've seen all year...
Set in the worst slum in Rio (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0317248), City of God is a cinematic masterpiece on speed.
check it out in the arthouses and whatnot.

-spiderman-
23-02-2003, 10:42
Yeah my R.A. is from Brazil and bought the whole floor tickets so we went and I must say - this movie rocked. It was fucking amazing, the directing, the whole setting of the movie in the 70's to 80's Brazilian crime life. Man it was intense, and I must say that right after that movie I felt like all of the sudden I had it so good in life compared to so much in the world.
The whole movie is such a great saga through decades of crime that it was so awesome to learn at the end that it was based on a true story. I know that means hardly anything..."Based on a true story," but it really makes you think about everything and yer left with the feeling of "whoa...that was some crazy shit."

PlurredChemistry
27-02-2003, 21:35
seeing it tommorow - i'm excited, only heard good things :D

PlurredChemistry
06-03-2003, 20:58
saw it yesterday. shit that movie was fucking good.
it was so excellent, i wish i could put my feelings into words...
the characters, the story and the cinematography were all great. i can't wait to buy this one on dvd/video :D
GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

WarmRushes
07-03-2003, 00:38
The chicken at the beginning... I loved it

alasdairm
15-03-2003, 00:12
finally saw this and it was better than i expected. the editing and movement around in time was excellent and really helped the flow. the different perspectives were fresh and interesting. the acting and script were both excellent and the violence was jarring and - often - stomach-turning.
the chicken scene was great too :)
alasdair

a_muse
24-03-2003, 05:08
Saw it on my birthday a few weeks ago, thought it was excellent.
Made "Pixote", one of my all time favourite films, including the only film that has ever made me cry, look like Disneyland.

It really showed how poverty and despair are breeding grounds for organised crime.

pr0ficient
20-04-2003, 17:48
Wow, what a kick ass movie. I'm adding this to my top 5 movies I have ever seen. The plot was genius, the acting was great, the cinematography was awsome.

Defiently am going to buy this when it comes out on DVD!

vegan
21-04-2003, 21:52
The chicken at the beginning... I loved it i hope it got a good check cause that was really good acting.

Famine
09-06-2003, 08:45
Welp managed to download this one. I had been trying for a while ever since I saw it listed recently as #113 on IMDB top10

The movie is in portugeuse, so I watched it with english subtitles...

As someone else said "It explores a world or violence and moral ambiguity rarely depicted on film"

All I can say is that its easily the best movie ive seen this year. simply superb.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0317248

Oh yea, if anyone would like to know how to obtain this via peer-to-peer software feel free to email me

Big boy
09-06-2003, 10:39
I'm in the process of burning it to a vcd, but i might just buy the dvd because it was such a good movie. I'd recomend this movie to everyone.

pr0ficient
10-06-2003, 04:22
Originally posted by WarmRushes
The chicken at the beginning... I loved it

Definitely! I loved the way the movie all came together at the end with the chicken.

Pure Genius!

Famine
13-06-2003, 22:27
bump!

everyone should see this!!

Frustrated
11-09-2003, 16:27
In short... I watch my movies before buying them and this isn't available at the video store. Anyone have Brazil's City of God on cable/dsl and are able to send it to moi?

Thanks

Big boy
12-09-2003, 03:01
get if off of kazaa it should only take a day. i had it but i had to format and i didn't get a chance to back it up. what kind of connection do you have?

PlurredChemistry
12-09-2003, 22:27
buy it - it is really really good

cravNbeets
19-02-2004, 20:15
http://www.miramax.com/images/pict3.jpg

i do apologize if there is a thread on this movie already.

The film did it's first run in theaters and then to video, now it's back in some theaters. I strongly recomend checking it out.

I dont really know how to create a synopsis w/o giving anything away from the plot so here's a link linky (http://www.miramax.com/cityofgod/)

if you like films about drugs, sex, and murder presented in a fresh interesting way i strongly suggest checking it out. anyone seen it?

Pander Bear
19-02-2004, 20:48
Out in my college town, not a single theater is carrying this. I'm making a drive into atlanta primarily to see it this weekend.

-spiderman-
20-02-2004, 03:42
My RA last year in the dorms is from Brazil, and he bought tickets for the whole floor to go see it when it came out in theatres here in boston. An amazing film on Brazilian crime life.

I've only seen it that one time so I can't really elaborate on details very well, but I thought it was pretty epic how it went through the years and you watched characters develope. Really good film.

djwhirlpool
20-02-2004, 07:23
*two thumbs up*

i liked it. :)

FunkyAlfonzo
20-02-2004, 11:32
One of the best new films that I've seen for a long time

alasdairm
20-02-2004, 12:12
agreed. it was a moving, at times wrenching movie.

it's nominated for cinematography, writing and directing oscars. it would be wonderful to see it take something.

alasdair

Looper
20-02-2004, 12:18
It's superb. It's one of those movies that remind you how good cinema can be when someone puts a bit of effort in. 10/10

Shnouzerpuff
20-02-2004, 16:20
Great movie.

Was travelling in Cambodia with some Brazillian lads who bought it and showed it to us all while chilling in the hostel.

Lil Zeke was awesome.

cravNbeets
21-02-2004, 01:24
^^what was his partner's name? fuck bennie i think. by far the coolest character in the film. the character development in this film is so strong that it's almost like you're watching a film about your friends or someone you know as opposed to manufactured static character. definitly a dvd to own.

Taliana
21-02-2004, 02:58
Has that only just came out in america? I saw it in Australia about a year ago... Normally its the other way around... hehe.

Very very very good movie. *2 thumbs up*

brothermarcus
21-02-2004, 03:29
it came out like a year ago, our theaters like to "re-release" films that get nominated for lots of oscars...

fengtau
25-02-2004, 03:20
I just bought the DVD.... ;) Will be watching it later this week and probably come back here with some reviews of my own. =D

PlurredChemistry
25-02-2004, 06:53
saw it about 9 months ago - super good :D

i really want to get it on dvd, but can't get it just yet here :(

Pounding_Grooves
11-03-2004, 22:38
the best movie i saw in 2003, the stroblit scene is amazing.

freelancinglance
11-03-2004, 23:59
This is by far the best movie I've seen in quite a long time, strong direction, brilliant acting by new comers, it made me feel like I was soaked in what they lived in, completely riveting, believable, and just downright brilliant.

Pounding_Grooves
12-03-2004, 01:06
when u think that nearly all of the principle characters were played by non professional actors, it makes this movie even more amazing. i think the guy who played "carrot" was the only professional actor.

freelancinglance
12-03-2004, 01:14
All I can say is that I literally forgot I was watching a movie, at one point I gained consciousness and got chills thinking of how I was literally transformed into a movie. I haven't seen something quite this great since maybe Goodfellas.

freelancinglance
12-03-2004, 03:04
Richard Roeper said this film exxaagerated and that they didn't go through that type of stuff all the time. But this is a movie which shows true events that happened...the narrator didn't claim it was happening daily. but that it did happen, it showed the most memorable, horrific times in his life. Duh roeper. But do you feel that stuff like this and Goodfellas makes people think that its happening daily in the mafia? such as the murdering in goodfellas, etc.

Crow
20-03-2004, 19:09
Saw it last night. Damn good movie! :)

Dtergent
25-03-2004, 10:23
Carrot looks like Flea. I love the movie. Best one I've seen in awhile.

SardonicNihilist
04-04-2004, 06:46
Top film. I especially like how they didn't choose to depict the actual slum as being totally unhealthy and unsafe. There are far worse slums out there compared to the 'city of god', so the way it was shown makes it more believable and relevant to a western audience. The nice views and brick houses makes it seem like a true paradise, yet it's the crime and consequently the informal safety net, which is the true focus of the film.

laovienax
04-04-2004, 17:15
the scene where the kid is forced by peer pressure to shoot that other kid is fucking horrible ...

incident
04-04-2004, 20:30
Pretty amazing movie. Pretty sad at times though. Lil' Zeke was one hardcore motherfucker, going into that place when he was like 10 years old and killing all those people. Its really sad how that other guy tried to clean up, and get out, but he ended up dying at that club when they shot him on the dance floor. That part really got to me, that sucks. I also liked the whole journalism aspect view of it, how the main character got into something positive like that. I dunno... bottom line is I really liked the movie, kind of left me speechless to be honest. Makes you look at life in a different way.

wanderlust
20-11-2004, 23:01
i really enjoyed watching this movie
the cinematography, the true story catch, the way the slums were pictured, the awfulness of the little kids under so much pressure of drugs, guns and bosses
it was moving and nicely fast paced

DemonsFall
20-11-2004, 23:19
Excellent film. The cinematoraphy is breath taking. I loved the story and the characters, some of the most interesting I've seen in any film. It's definitly not the kind of thing yousee very often. I'd probably count this as one of the most original films I've come across. I've always been a fan of crime movies and this is truly one of the finest I've seen.

Mechanix
21-11-2004, 07:54
great movie

FuncrusherPlus
21-11-2004, 08:08
This is one of my favorite movies i love the cinematography and the way they showed each decade. I'm pretty sure his name is Lil' Ze not Zeke.

...dreamer of dreams
21-11-2004, 20:57
Superb Film. South American film scene is rampaging.

wanderlust
21-11-2004, 21:46
yes lil' ze... that bugged me too

and out of everyone in the film i thought that carrot was the worst made/played

Pounding_Grooves
22-11-2004, 03:24
its funny you say that cos carrot was the only professional actor in the film. ps when lil ze changes his name. i presume that scene was him selling his soul to the devil? can anyone clarify.

day_for_night
26-11-2004, 13:56
a great film. parts of it however, were about as horrifying as i could imagine.

Fried Man
26-11-2004, 23:50
the only thing that bothered me was that the girls character (angelique?) didn't go anywhere . . . . It was a big lead up, and then nothing . . . . ..

great movie