• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cooking with oils

Olive oil is rarely hydrogenated (and you'd know if it was, it would be solid instead of liquid).

Olive oil is great for salads and raw but is not safe to cook with.

How much of an issue is this sauteeing at sensible temperatures? I usually cook with canola or a canola and coconut oil blend (i.e., earthbalance margarine), but some dishes are to be fried in olive oil.

ebola

aye.
So, I'm guessing that cooking denatures canola oil's moderate omega-3 content?

ebola

Yes, this is correct, omega-3s are very heat sensitive and are easily denatured. Also, refined (not-expeller pressed) canola oil is purified at temps of 300-400+ degrees which as you can imagine destroys much of the omega-3 content. I believe that omega-3s become distorted around 120 degrees and sauteeing goes well above that mark.

As I have said coconut and palm are excellent, especially for vegans as they have the consistency of butter and are excellent for baking (making even a flakier pie crusts than butter, for example).

Unrefined palm oil is bright orangey red and an excellent source of beta-carotene as well.

Another oil I forgot to mention that is good for frying (still not as good as coconut and palm though) is grapeseed. It is also next to flavourless.

Last edited:
fairnymph said:
Olive oil is rarely hydrogenated (and you'd know if it was, it would be solid instead of liquid).

Olive oil is great for salads and raw but is not safe to cook with.

Why? I was told it would be a good substitute for margarine in alfredo sauce, but that would involve cooking.

Just use butter for alfredo, why on earth would you use anything else??!? Seriously, that is utterly bizarre to me that you would NOT use butter in alfredo.

^ Deja... why not try your splitting skills out and split these discussions (Olive oil & Atkins) into their own threads. I promise I'll let you do it this time!

I use olive oil for cooking all the time, obviously you can't get it as hot as other oils - but does it become unhealthy if you use it for cooking? I frequently saute things in olive oil.

>>Just use butter for alfredo, why on earth would you use anything else??!? Seriously, that is utterly bizarre to me that you would NOT use butter in alfredo.
>>

If you're a vegan making mock-alfredo. :) I still wouldn't use olive oil for that though.

ebola

You can't make any form of alfredo if you are vegan, period.

You can make soymilk kinda creamy sauces but they could not ever be described by the word 'alfredo'.

You have obviously not had my coconut milk - based alfredo then. :)

ebola

Then it's a creamy coconut sauce -- not an alfredo! Nothing wrong with that either, I'm sure it's delicious. :)

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
^ Deja... why not try your splitting skills out and split these discussions (Olive oil & Atkins) into their own threads. I promise I'll let you do it this time!

Gotcha. :)

fairnymph said:
Then it's a creamy coconut sauce -- not an alfredo! Nothing wrong with that either, I'm sure it's delicious. :)

Does the milk have the sweet taste to it?

fairnymph said:
Just use butter for alfredo, why on earth would you use anything else??!? Seriously, that is utterly bizarre to me that you would NOT use butter in alfredo.

I dont know..I dont even have any butter..I have always just gotten margarine for cooking..isnt butter just as unhealthy as margarine? Or is margarine worse? This is something thats always confused me, since I thought margarine was supposed to be used in place of butter, but everyone always talks about how bad margarine is as well.

Margarine (of the usual sort) is partially hydrogenated, and thus is high in saturated and contains trans fats. Butter is simply high in saturated fat. Maragarine is thus generally worse.

>>Does the milk have the sweet taste to it?>>

Only this one time I tried using this weird brand that was on sale for 50 cents a can. Otherwise, no (and a sweet taste is definitely not desired here).

>>Then it's a creamy coconut sauce -- not an alfredo! Nothing wrong with that either, I'm sure it's delicious.>>

Can we call it mock alfredo?...does alfredo mean butter in Italian or something?

ebola

The argument for eating margarine and other products containing hydrogenated oils are their lack of cholesterol. Margarine is also less expensive than butter. However, margarine contains refined, artificially saturated vegetable oil. It also contains harmful trans-fatty acids, and often residues of the toxic metals nickel and cadmium. Butter is a natural food and a good source of important fat-soluble vitamins. You will pay more for butter, but nutritionally it is well worth it.

>>The argument for eating margarine and other products containing hydrogenated oils are their lack of cholesterol.>>

Which is largely baseless, as the effect of dietary cholesterol alone on serum cholesterol levels is largely negligble for most people.

ebola