PDA

View Full Version : Racing Heart on Weed

Pages : [1] 2

dex_king
05-05-2005, 06:22
8( This shit is driving me nuts. Everytime I smoke weed I feel like my heart is going 100 miles an hour. It can be really scary and when it is not it still ruins the high because it over powers the laughter and over all fun of weed. Today I smoked again (I quit for a while to see if quitting for a bit may help)...no racing heart but all teh other effects. My left hand goes numb first, then my arm, then my right arm does. And I twitch like crazy. Ill just be sitting there and ill just twitch for a second just quick short jolts in my body. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. thanks.

count chocula
05-05-2005, 06:27
sounds like an anxiety reaction. maybe try to relax and do something to keep your mind off your heart rate. go for a walk, watch a movie or play some video games etc...

dex_king
05-05-2005, 06:30
Going for a walk might help....movies and video games dont however

ice-9
05-05-2005, 06:39
I used to get this quite often when I first started smoking. I don't know what will work for you (besides maybe smoking a bit less) but what worked for me is simply taking slow, deep breaths. WIth the numbness in your hands it seems like it has to do with your blood pressure fluctuating.

Most importantly, just try to relax and enjoy the high. It's only weed. :)

Norules
05-05-2005, 15:04
Yeh dope always raises my heart beat I think its a natutal side effect of it . . . I don't mind the feeling, I think it only happens when the shits kicking in, and gives you a bit of a rush.
Try taking deep, slow breathes, your probably hyperventilating, which can cause tingling body parts (due to lowered oxygen levels) and a raising heart (also due to the body trying to distribute a 'small' amount of oxygen over a 'large' area). Most of all, just don't worry to much about it, if its really bad, maybe you should give up smoking. :)

bluedolphin
05-05-2005, 19:05
I never noticed a racing heart on pot until one time I took DXM and smoked a little pot on top of it. For some reason even though I'd done this dozens of times before that night I had a panic attack with a heart rate around 200bpm and felt like I was on the verge of death for 2 hours until it wore off.

After that occasion, which was about 2 years ago, I noticed my heart would race and beat pretty hard after smoking pot, and sometimes this would give me mild panic attacks or at least an unenjoyable high. Obviously this sucked when I was tryin' to chill with my buddies when I was having paranoid thoughts about my physical condition racing through my head.

Now that it is 2 years later and this has failed to deter me from smoking pot on a daily basis (even though many of those highs were completely unenjoyable...) I can say I don't really have this problem anymore.

Yes my heart rate does still get elevated after smoking pot, sometimes more than others and it seems to depend on the kind of ganja. The way I got over this was by slowly training myself to basically ignore my racing heart, and I found that if I don't pay attention it will decrease, maybe not back to normal but certainly less than it would be if you are thinking about it every second.

Also:
Don't get super ripped on the first bowl / joint / bong of the day. If you smoke slowly rather than taking a few bong rips back to back your body has more time to adjust to it, therefore your heart won't freak out as much.

If this is a real problem for you now you might want to limit your smoking to just a couple hits per session (depends how good your weed is, if a couple hits won't do much then smoke more I guess). During this period that you are paranoid about your heart rate you might find your psychological tolerance for weed has decreased and you don't need as much to get high. Also you will probably find a mild high more enjoyable than getting really ripped because your heart won't race and you won't be paranoid about your body.

Once you start to overcome this, which is essentially a psychological overreaction to a normal physical response, you can start to smoke more if you want to.

Of course during this period it is essential that you avoid mixing marijuana with amphetamines and psychedelics because your chance of freaking out would be very high.

hope that helps

ninjaupthere
05-05-2005, 19:10
You can also try beta-blockers, I read that they're successful in treating anxiety due to physical symptoms(such as a rapid heartbeat).

I think the advice posted above is much better in the long run though.

nenarOPI
05-05-2005, 22:34
I used to never get it up until my first year of college, this fall. Before this time I'd be smoking at least a few times a week for a few months and rarely had one of the above mentioned and all too common racing heart/anxiety attack reactions. But in the fall I would get high with people that I had just met and get so paranoid and shit. It settled down once I got to know them all though. Also, I found smoking pot in my dorm room, while undetectable, always makes me wildly panicky, especially when it's just me by myself. Stupid pot.

The heart/mind thing is rampant with weed, I think that's most of the problem. See, weed in general does cause elevated heart rate in some people, same for elevated anxiety at times, or paranoia. These three things coupled together , plus weeds sensory enhancing issues, make this syndrome appear, I think. Cause you're paying more attention to your heart beat that you normally would, which makes you more paranoid and anxious, which raises the heart rate even more, etcetc, in a loop. Til you freak out and your heart explodes. Haha, just kidding, it always passes, but truly sucks.

mr.porro
05-05-2005, 22:50
maybe you have problems in ya organic sistem, that is not normal, but try to keep mind equacion, relax things listen goog music

ninjaupthere
05-05-2005, 23:18
^A racing heart after smoking weed is completely normal.

reeen
05-05-2005, 23:26
i used to get the shakes all the time, but since i smoked outside most of the time and live in canada i just figured it was because of the cold. and now its warming out and i still shake. but oddly enough the second i start thinking about the shaking or how im not shaking yet, it starts again. its not really something that bothers me though. just try not to think about it i'd say. but if it gets very bad maybe you should stop.

cire113
06-05-2005, 04:02
strange i have this same problem yet im completely calm mentally after i smoke... yet i still get these horrible physical reactions starting with the heart rate... I ignore it and am relaxed mentally knowing its normal but it still happens everytime i smoke and is extremely uncomfortable as well!!! i hate it!!!

its like my fight or flight response goes off EVERY single time i smoke and the 200+BPM heart rate

yet im in the most relaxed state of mind and setting .... is this a possible physical reaction to weed ive gotten never had this while i was blazing daily for a few yrs....8)

keep in mind again im perfectly fine mentally!! why does this happen... bleh bleh :\ :p

bluedolphin
06-05-2005, 05:21
From my understanding it's fairly common for this to occur after a few years of smoking without ever noticing it or having a racing heart problem.

And it seems to occur most often in heavy smokers, or during a period of heavy/frequent smoking.

What I'm wondering is if this can cause long term stress on the heart, like thickening of the heart tissue or damage to arteries? Nobody has ever been able to give me a good answer to this...

aaronpickel
06-05-2005, 18:09
when i smoked, i use to get a horrible nervous feeling. last time, i had anxiety for like a week straight, and got very panicked even when sober. i have quit smoking for good, as it isn't worth it if i can't even enjoy being high. my mistake was doing crystal meth, smoking pot trying to make myself go to sleep then having a panic attack for my troubles. now after quitting, i am suffering from depression, and symptoms of anxiety, like tight chest, tight throat and worrying about stuff i have no control over. i just hope it passes, because it has been a month sincei smoked weed.

slightlyst00pid
06-05-2005, 18:14
it's anxiety. it used to happen to me everytime i smoked. then i quit for like a month or so.. and the first time i smoked again i made sure i only smoked a little bit, and when i felt the panic attack coming on it wouldnt be as bad and i could control it. gradually i smoked more and i still havent had one since.

as long as you know its just a silly panic attack you can beat it

aaronpickel
06-05-2005, 19:22
yeah, i just don't like panic attacks, or anxiety so it isn;t worth the risk. i have other things that have happened that make the anxiety hard for me to just excuse as anxiety. my dad died of a heart attack, so whenever i feel tight chest, or racing heart or any of that stuff, it has a whole new meaning for me. plus i need to quit and find a better job and get my life going in the right direction. can only be a cashier at walgreens for so long til it gets played out.

BK_UK
07-05-2005, 06:40
Just an note... anyone here agree the strain of weed smoked is linked directly to anxiety, heart racing etc. I've noticed with very strong sativa's, heart racing is alot more common than with indica's, or a combination of the two.

[S]alvatore
07-05-2005, 08:29
When anxiety ocurrs, I know the drug is about to kick in (any drug), just relax. Or if you're with friends, just start talking shit to each other to get you giggling and take your mind off of it and it will pass within a few minutes.

ice-9
07-05-2005, 08:43
Originally posted by bluedolphin
From my understanding it's fairly common for this to occur after a few years of smoking without ever noticing it or having a racing heart problem.

And it seems to occur most often in heavy smokers, or during a period of heavy/frequent smoking.

In my case it seems to be the reverse. I only felt these sort of effects when I first started smoking. The longer I have smoked the less I find that this happens to me. Almost never, nowadays.

PunjiStick
08-05-2005, 05:46
This happened to me all the time and it got to the point where I could barely smoke at all without having a panic attack. I just sat down and talked to myself (if that makes sense). Once I realized that the nervousness, panic, and paranoia were all in my head it was easy for me to overcome them. To prove to myself that there was no need to my panic, I got blazed and then hung out with my parents. Just remember, all this bad stuff is in your head... Don't worry about it. It's normal to have a fast heartbeat after anyways, just chill and enjoy...

Vaya
08-05-2005, 06:02
I do get a racing heart as well. I have found several ways to cope with this, though.

Firstly, I do get that whole 'left arm going numb' thing that could be indicative of a heart attack. That's usually when I begin to panic, but having read about so many other smokers on BL having the exact same reaction, I agree with another poster here that it is probably blood pressure fluctuation, and is really a common side effect.

It's also possible that the fact that your heart is racing causes you to anticipate a numb left arm, and thus you feel numbness. Never underestimate the power of your mind.

You could try deep, controlled breaths (Inhale slowly through your nose, exhale slowly out of your mouth), or use other drugs to cope with the stimulating effects of cannabis, such as:

Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, and the like)
Beta-Blockers (Atenolol)

Both of the above have certainly helped me to a large extent.
Best of luck.

jonah_222
11-05-2005, 09:01
you know, i used to smoke *a lot* in high school and my first few years of college and never once noticed this. i quit, and i go back to it many years later and now every time my heart races until i have found the experience unenjoyable. what the hell is up with this?

i never heard of anyone having this problem until recently. what's the deal?

-j.

Vaya
11-05-2005, 09:53
Originally posted by jonah_222
you know, i used to smoke *a lot* in high school and my first few years of college and never once noticed this. i quit, and i go back to it many years later and now every time my heart races until i have found the experience unenjoyable. what the hell is up with this?

i never heard of anyone having this problem until recently. what's the deal?

-j.

Actually, it's quite common for someone who has devoted a lot of time to smoking herb to begin to feel negative vibes from the high as opposed to those originally felt and sought after. I myself have experienced this, and medicate it with xanax (although I take xanax as prescribed, I am usually on it when I smoke), which helps a ton. If you don't want to chemically treat the racing heart, then I'd suggest simply quitting, no matter how large a part of your life it has become.

I myself have done this. Going from an *every day, multiple sessions, 7+grams a week consumption rate* to cold turkey, and after the initial week of mediocre cravings you begin to realize what a "trip" reality is. You realize that being high on life is a distinct and enjoyable possibility.
Admittedly my break only lasted a mere six months, but going from everyday to nothing for ~180 days was a big deal for me, and I certainly felt accomplished.

Anyway, in your case I'd recommend an extended break of AT LEAST 2 months. I know you just started up again, though, and if that isn't applicable, you should simply smoke less! I find often that two to three solid hits of high quality cannabis is much more enjoyable and cardiovascularly managable than smoking a bunch of bowls, or heading for the majestic 3 foot bong;)

Anyway, sorry for the coked out post, It's just that, well, I can relate. And shit.

Peace,
Much luck

by the way, just thought i'd mention that using meditation prior to smoking pot helps me center my mind, and focuses on the 'now', the present state, of the cannabis high instead of what is going on physiologically in my body. There's major truth in the cliche "Ignorance is bliss."
Peace.

cire113
11-05-2005, 21:58
are u kidding? whats the point of smoking if you have to take xanax or a benzo to cope with it.... just dont smoke ... or can you not see that maybe some ppl are just not meant to smoke weed. (temporary or forever)..

aoe2junkie
12-05-2005, 01:46
sometimes it is all in your mind. i actually measured my heart rate with a machine and it turned out normal...my heart rate was about 67 beats per minute

Vaya
12-05-2005, 06:53
Originally posted by cire113
are u kidding? whats the point of smoking if you have to take xanax or a benzo to cope with it.... just dont smoke ... or can you not see that maybe some ppl are just not meant to smoke weed. (temporary or forever)..

As I said... I'm prescribed Xanax daily so it isn't that I take the bnezo FOR THE PURPOSE OF coping with cannabis-induced anxiety, it merely helps it.

Becoming dependant on benzodiazepines just to smoke weed is not a very good idea, although many people do it.

To sum it up.... no, I'm not kidding.:)

cire113
16-05-2005, 03:30
But then why do you continue to smoke if it gives you anxiety?

Vaya
16-05-2005, 05:15
Because I'm on xanax and therefore I dont get anxiety, I just get high.:)

vino
28-12-2005, 14:57
Going for a walk might help....movies and video games dont however

Walking outside does help. Even going out to the backyard and getting some fresh air may do the trick if you breath nice and easy.

**busted**
28-12-2005, 18:04
As a daily smoker, I like the feeling of having my heart race. Only if I concentrate on it, it freaks me out. I just have to breathe and focus on something other than my bodily functions.

deltan1nethc
03-01-2006, 09:55
Just relax, ride the high. Don't let it take you for a ride.

Hater
03-01-2006, 10:27
^A racing heart after smoking weed is completely normal.
yes this is completely normal its one of the effects i miss when it was stronger (i call it the subwoofer effect)

considering weed has never killed anyone a racing heart is nothing to worry about if u are though just dont mix with stimulants

aoe2junkie
03-01-2006, 10:37
youre hyperventillating, get a brown lunch bag and breathe with it a few times

dapurpman
03-01-2006, 10:59
like others have said, its normal.

XxNonlethalxX
04-01-2006, 04:46
refer to my thread i just posted, it sounds EXACTLY like what i went through with my panic attacks while high. They are basically anxiety/panic attacks the weed is making you mind react in a way you cannot control but you are perfectly normal just remember that. If anything my doctor told me to go in a room with no people,preferrebly a dark room.

sk8er4life
05-05-2009, 00:00
kk.i was smoking weed last night and when i was done i sat down on my couch and noticed that my heart was RACING LIKE 100 MPH.i could feel my fuckin heart beat in my head it was so fast.it just got faster and faster.then my body was like twitching.like every 2 or 3 fuckin seconds!i was so pissed.cuz ive been high like 5 times before and it was fun and i have a feeling its gunna be like this for a while.so my heart was racing and i was twitching like crazy.i decided to walk downstairs and drink some cold water and slowly walk back and forth.after like 30 minutes it finaly went away and i got to enjoy my high.but it was totaly hell!i was so scared cuz i knew that it couldnt have been good for you.i thought i was gunna have a heart attack or something.but i calmed down and tryed to keep my mind off of my heart beat even though it was kinda hard.like i said after drinking a cold glass of water and walking back and forth for 30 minutes it went away but does anyone know what this is?and what can i do to stop it?thx.

Ason Unique
05-05-2009, 01:18
Whenever I get really high this can happen, first I'll try to ride it out and listen to music which works most of the time, just relax and chill. But sometimes it is necessary just to lay down, usually when this happens I will be high for a very long time.

Venturaraza13
03-09-2009, 07:17
Well, I don't know how to help. For me, I used to smoke KB directly with no problems. Then once my friends aunt came over and she let us take 3 drags off her blunt. Out of nowhere, all I saw was an extremely bright flash, all sounds went to a beep, I thought an atomic bomb went off. This wasn't like marijuana which makes you less respondent to light and sounds. This made everything so bright (it was sunset time and I wasn't even facing the sun) that I couldn't even see, and the colors left huge blur streaks accross my face and every little tiny sound was amplified and kept repeating in my ear. Then my heart started racing extremely fast, I tried not to concentrate but it was burning my chest, I felt it was about to explode. I asked my friends aunt what was in it, but she just said cush. Then my body began drying extremely quickly, my thoughts were RACING like I could not stop thinking, I saw colors and everything was speedings up. I was on his bad feeling on the verge of death. I felt like I could see sound, and see what I felt deep inside my body. My heart I almost feel like it was struggling and glowing red, and wherever I could feel my blood pumping in my body was burning. Usually marijuana is suppose to slow things down but even still my heart was faster than it ever was in my entire life, and it was burning me, I wanted to die. Then, it started slowing down, I thought, psheeew, good... but then, it slowed down EXTREMELY slow, and I felt my heart though pumping slowly, taking HUGE pumps, like trying to pump rocks. Then, my aorta (biggest blood vessel above the heart) started hurting, and tightning... then, all the bright colors started to blur mix, and fade, and all the sounds started going extremely deep and fading and all I saw was black. And I woke up 4 hours later on my friends bed. Good thing I was trying to sleep because of the fear of a heart-attack and I passed out, or else it would have been worse. Also, the same-thing happened ( just less sever) when I smoke mid-grade. It's suppose to be weaker than KB isn't it? Then why does it make everything move in frames, go slow/fast (hard 2 explain) make my heart race, and make me numb, and make everything brighter... it's fuckin pissin me off... Is it just my friends aunt's weed? She says theres nothing but weed but it's weird, ever since my heart attack my blood pressure is horrible, and my heart speeds fast unexpectadly. Also why ever since that day everytime I think of something bad (such as havin' sex, smokin weed, cigarettes, or getting in a fight) my heart starts taking those huge slow pumps and my stomache gets cold then very hot and my heart picks up. Was it the cush/??? that made me like this?

Fohat
03-09-2009, 08:23
Two different physical side-effects there.

The heart-rate thing is very common. Not much you can do about it. Some seem to get it worse than others and it seems to become less bad the longer you smoke. Best advice is to ignore it as much as possible and remember that it probably *feels* like it's beating much faster than it actually *is*.

The twitching isn't so common but I know exactly what you mean. You have to smoke less if it really bothers you that much; only answer I've found. It's gotten pretty severe in me to the point that I'm lying there and I'm twitching and look like a total freak (or maybe just feel like I do 'cause I'm stoned), particularly in the elbows and behind the kneecaps but really everywhere. I forget the exact mechanism but IIRC it has something to do with the Cannabinoid system's role in muscle function (modulatory, like most of its roles).

Inso
03-09-2009, 11:29
All classic signs of anxiety. All you can do is smoke a smaller amount at a time, and always start small and build up to bigger amounts when having a session. Indica-dominant strains tend to produce less anxiety too.

A few times I can get anxiety from weed if I haven't smoked in a while and have a lot at once to begin with. However I just tell myself its weed and its scientifically impossible to be in any sort of danger, and it normally passes quickly. Then after this I can smoke loads and its fine, just that first bit can be a little uneasy sometimes. This has only happened since I started smoking occasionally after a 7 month break having previously been a heavy pothead for 3+ years solid, strange.

beatle23_5
03-09-2009, 17:30
I've had this same thing happen to me a few times. It was usually around stressful times; relationship issues, finals week, etc. I found just putting on some easy listening music, some beatles or somethin and just chillin out really helps.

Sometims get that unejoyable high and my hands begin to tingle and my extremeities (hands and feet) run cold. Its just a blood pressure problem, although coupled with the fact cannibis can make you paranoid it can seem much worse.

I went to the hospital for it once when i was in highschool....now if it happens i just chill and everythings cool!

LivingInTheMoment
04-09-2009, 10:44
8( This shit is driving me nuts. Everytime I smoke weed I feel like my heart is going 100 miles an hour. It can be really scary and when it is not it still ruins the high because it over powers the laughter and over all fun of weed. Today I smoked again (I quit for a while to see if quitting for a bit may help)...no racing heart but all teh other effects. My left hand goes numb first, then my arm, then my right arm does. And I twitch like crazy. Ill just be sitting there and ill just twitch for a second just quick short jolts in my body. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. thanks.

^^I don't know how to say this in a more plain and easier understood language, but any stimulant would open up your system, the enxiety you may be experiencing IS of your system opening up (ganglionic level) and the shakes that come with it or after it, IS also your neurological system, as it is letting go of your outside shell. This is where relaxation settles in afterwards.
If it is too much for you, reduce the strength of it and use a less potent one. Also either use a vaporizer, or reduce how much and how often you smoke and make sure you eat before hand, and eat healthy!

atsocrix
05-09-2009, 10:18
Don't drink alcoholic energy drinks then smoke!

I had five drinks, smoked a massive blunt, my heart rate shot to a million, next thing I know I was passed out on the floor

I was at a real chilled out party and I felt that I ruined it after that :S

Frillip
05-09-2009, 21:10
sometimes it is all in your mind. i actually measured my heart rate with a machine and it turned out normal...my heart rate was about 67 beats per minute

The thing with Cannabis is that it definitely exaggerates the sensation of your heart beating, therefore without a doubt misleading individuals to what their actual heart rate is. However, it is no mystery that cannabis 100% does increase heart rate.

It differs from individual to individual and is obviously dependent on potency, tolerance, genetic predisposition, etc...

jamesmartin
06-09-2009, 05:53
Why does weed cause anxiety ?

Lady Codone
06-09-2009, 13:40
Marijuana can cause rapid heartbeat in some people. Some barely notice it, others are so affected they think they're having a heart attack/dying. It can feed anxiety and ruin the high. It's not generally dangerous unless you suffer from a serious cardiovascular condition or mix weed with high doses of cocaine and other potent stimulants, which is not recommended.

I've found that my weed-related heart symptoms go away as my tolerance increases. It also helps to abstain from caffeine, tobacco and other stimulants when smoking, as they cause rapid pulse as well.

Cornishman
06-09-2009, 21:12
It has nothing to do with anxiety.
Weed makes your heart beat faster regardless.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/heroinaddict_onspeed/Bodily_effects_of_cannabis.png

theatomicdog4
18-10-2009, 04:46
Well you guys all hit the nail on the head. I'm having the same problems. But I was wondering... Would the panic attacks be a problem if I was to take a low dosage of LSD? I'm planning on going to an amusment park frying and I'm going to eat an edible later after the LSD calms down. Good idea or bad?

Pegasus
18-10-2009, 04:48
^Can't for sure say one way or the other. If you can control yourself on acid pretty well, then you should be OK, especially if you're doing it towards the tail end. What I would avoid is doing it on the come-up part of the acid, because any anxiety there can send you into a full-blown tripping panic attack. (no fun)

Pegasus
18-10-2009, 04:51
As far as the original topic goes, I actually had to cut way back on green because I started to get really shitty feeling and panicky pretty regularly. Even though I knew it was paranoia, it still happened. I had to learn to use less regularly and that seemed to help more than anything... (even benzos)