Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [The Age] - 29/04/2005 'Salvo drugs czar takes up role abroad'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Salvo drugs czar takes up role abroad
By Misha Schubert
April 29, 2005

After more than seven years as Prime Minister John Howard's drugs czar, Brian Watters has resigned to take on a new job in global narcotics policy.

The Salvation Army major, who describes himself as "uncompromising" in his quest to stamp out illicit drug use and in his staunch opposition to heroin injecting rooms, said he was sad to be moving on.

Despite a written appeal from Mr Howard, the International Narcotics Control Board has refused to let Major Watters take up his advisory role with it while he holds a government job. He opted for the global post, for which he will travel to Vienna several times a year, triggering a search for a new domestic drug policy chief.

Yesterday he nominated a "spectacular" fall in drug-related deaths as his proudest achievement as Australian National Council on Drugs chairman.

"We've seen a drop of 700 deaths a year from drug overdose - from a peak of 1100 in 2000 - and with it a drop in suffering for families and loved ones," he said yesterday. "Treatment works," he said - in preference to harm minimisation. "We can save lives."

Mr Howard praised his work yesterday, saying there was "no doubt that many Australian lives have been saved and their families and friends spared the trauma of drug addiction as a result of the contributions of Major Watters".

The Age

Wow, we've been so lucky.

8)

probably he'll be replaced by someone ever worst. Just imagine Payne got the job

snivlling little weasel

Hey guys look at this in a postive way. Hopefully they can replace that old geezer with someone who actually knows a little about the substances in which they are dealing with.

*chants* platypus!! platypus!!

from what ive seen, hes one of the few who actually knows what hes talking about.

Hollingsworth as the Govenor General, Watters as the 'drug czar' ... when will Howard stop parachuting church 'leaders' into these types of roles and instead appoint people who might actually know what their doing instead?

As much as Peter Costello makes my skin crawl, the sooner he steps on lil Johnny the better.

Bye Watters, you fuck you've been a major (he he what a pun) obstacle to HM for seven years and hopefully they'll put somebody in charge with the grey matter to realise Harm Minimisation is the most sensible way to tackle illicit drug use tho i wont be holding my breath!
I cant believe they're calling the head of the ANCD a 'drug czar' god you'd think we've already joined the US!

I should have punched watters in the face when I had the chance...

Anyway, toodles you old fuck. *Cough cough* PAUL DILLON Or DR PLATYPUS or JOHNBOY *cough cough cough*

man my cold is bad this year...

^^^ one of those three guys would be awesome, however they're all caught up in their own buisness.... and as if johnny would choose one of them... maybe Paul, but yeah... If the world was perfect, eh?

Glad Watter's is gone... but what is it of this 'global post' he has aquired... What kind of influence can the devil himself cast down upon the world from here!?!?! :p