Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Panadol overdose?

ar_gee

Bluelighter
Hi,

Just tonight my room-mate next door took 24 panadol's, plus an unknown amount of coedine (sp?). She had also been drinking on the night. We found her on the floor struggling to breath, and was unable to stand and quickly drove her to the hospital. They say she should be O.K. to pick up tomorow at some stage.

Just curious, was that a lethal dose? She had planned on commiting suicide :( and had send goodbye sms's.

Would she have been ok if we didn't check up on her?

Sorry if this has already been done, but I had a search and couldn't find any posts on the topic.

Would she be dead without you? It is hard to say but she did take 12 grams of paracetamol and that is a hell of a lot. It is always difficult in these situations but try to get her to see a psychologist, no problem is insurmountable.

Thanks for the quick reply C-Mac.
Is there a general toxic dose for paracetamol?
Yeah apparantly it's not the first time she has tried, have to try to sort out some help!

ar_gee said:
She had planned on commiting suicide :( and had send goodbye sms's.
I really don't mean to be critical, but it sounds like a poor attempt for a cry for help.
Sms goodbye's? and trying to OD on paracetamol?

Try to get her help asap.

Shorza, I'll have to agree with you on that one, it does seem like a cry for help.

As far as I know that was the only thing in her room (to OD on), and I guess at the time it seemed like a good idea.

She is fairly un-educated when it comes to drugs (I'm not saying I am), so I'm again assuming she thought it would work.

I'll have a chat to her tomorrow and try to get her some help. :\

I would assume that the hospital will be arranging appointments with a psychiatrist/psychologist before your friend gets released.

I know that this is no laughing matter but SMS goodbye's ..... LMAO....Dont u just love technology... ;)

You can easily find out the LD50 for paracetamol in rats etc, but this would vary in a human subject. It is still a lot of paracetamol.

the problem with parcemontol is that people try to kill themselves on it, pass out and wake up the next day glad they didn't kill themselves. However approx 12-24 hours later they experince liver failure which unfortunately kills them.

if 12grams is fatel for a person her size (does she have liver problems, i.e. heavy drinker etc?) is hard to say. Perhaps she could consult a GP just for a little chat.....

In adults, hepatic toxicity has rarely been reported with acute overdoses of less than 10 grams and fatalities with less than 15 grams. Importantly, young children seem to be more resistant than adults to the hepatotoxic effect of an acetaminophen overdose.

From Rxlist.com - link (Acetaminophen = Paracetamol)
Research shows that the common threshold for liver damage to occur from a single paracetamol overdose is 15 gms (30 tablets) although standard hospital guidelines allow an extra safety margin and assume liver damage could occur at a single overdose of 24 standard tablets or 150 mg/kg body weight, whichever is the smaller.

The overdose threshold may be lowered in a person taking certain prescription medicines, or a person who is an alcoholic or is seriously undernourished. If the overdose is spread over a period of time the threshold may be higher, as the initial paracetamol dose is effectively metabolised. (The recommended maximum dose in a 24 hour period is 4g or 8 tablets).

http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy/paracetamol/pharmwebpic9.html

BigTrancer :)

Tell her to go see a psych. Make sure the psych is NOT just using her for the money like MOST do. Simply just prescribing combinations of drugs isn't going to be the answer, they have to get to the underlying problems first then think of a solution.

Also, why Panadol, surely she is smart enough to think of better things to OD on? Say alot of benzos? Go to sleep and never wake up. Better than having a fucked liver + kidneys.

Anyway, suicide isn't the answer, never is, never will be. Its the most selfish act one could do. Its just the easiest way out, and the easiest way out is not always the best option!