Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Today Tonight - Thursday 28th Apr

brendanwor

Bluelighter
Just letting people know that there's going to be a segment on tonight's show about drugs in the youth culture. The advertisement showed a bunch of rave clips and such, so I'm guessing it'll be focusing on party drugs.

Yeah i saw the add for that, I'm not expecting much except a few kids who have maybe some similar views as the media, i could be wrong though. hehe ill probably watch it :)

"THEY are the people who eat your soul with their fangs of mistrust to feed their sickening satanic culture."

Haven't actually seen the ad for it, but I assume it went something like that.

im sure it will be an unbiast and compleatley fair segment.. ohh wait it's on chanel 7.. wait for all the scare tatics they use..

Anyone got any of the propaganda from this latest Govt Drugs compaign? Would be interesting to checkoff every "issue" raised by TT against what's in the Govt's Media handout kits -- not that I'm cynical about lazy journalists or anything 8)

why bother, its just a beat up.......however all on bluelight who watch should right carefully thought out letter's to producers thanking them for the things they get right and berating them for the things they get wrong. A grass root campagin of sensible non-immature responses to media organisation (when they choose to screen stories of this nature) is what is required.

Don't pre-judged shows you havent even seen. A few years back when I was interviewed by TT it was one of the fairest interviews I have ever done. It was so soft-ball I even got to write my own questions! That same week I was interviewed by the ABC for the 730 report and they attacked me viciously. Go figure. It's all about what angle they want to take and sometimes their choice can be suprising.

Young people taking drugs? Surely not....

I always find it amusing when they run big "shock horror" stories on the number of people using drugs recreationally on the weekend, like it's something new. Drug use in clubs is endemic, and has been for a long time... The government is clearly aware of this, but does nothing. If they were serious about reducing long-term use of drugs then they'd take a look at WHY so many young people go out and take drugs on a saturday night. Unfortunately that doesn't really make for visible policing, which seems to be the method-of-the-day for NSW police.

I also suspect that they wouldn't like what they find -- that people take drugs and don't end up as junkies. The average ecstasy user in NSW is of above-average socioeconomic standing. It's much easier to demonise drug users than to understand them as human beings. The risk you run with the latter is that you might actually start to empathise with them, or at least find yourself questioning the premises of the war on drugs... It's easy to throw heroin junkies in gaol, but much harder to do so for well-educated, productive young adults... When was the last time you saw an ad throwing a university student in gaol, claiming that serious steps have been made to eliminate the "scourge of society"? hmm

take a look at the stories they run regularly.. my money is on that they will just be the same as any other story they put on.. one sided with the good guys and bad guys.. seriously TT and aca are the worst shows out for good viewing, just look at the childish rivalry they have between eachother.., doesnt say alot for the quality of stories.. but ill watch it anyway

Jimity said:
"THEY are the people who eat your soul with their fangs of mistrust to feed their sickening satanic culture."

Haven't actually seen the ad for it, but I assume it went something like that.

It's funny because its true!! ;)

Its so funny when they always group youth and drugs together.

Don't ask me how many people get on the gear who are over 30 !!!!!!!!

Whackers too!!! ahaha.

heheh yes omse of the best and most hardcore BLer's a know fit into that bracket...

yes they know who they are and I love em =D

well i just watched it and it wasent anything special but it wasent overly done which i guess was good, just telling parents to communicate with thier kids about drugs which is a fair thing, the thing that people dont relize is that thier parents might tell them somthing but then they will hear somthing about the drug from a mate like i did, then look it up on the net and find the real facts and find its not as bad as people make it out to be.

Just watched it too. I want those 10 mins of my life back!

Yeah what a waste of time. Although im glad it didnt spread propaganda bullshit. Just about parents and drug issues rather than lies about drugs themselves which is a positive aspect i guess.

I just watched it too. Basically no mention of specific illicit drugs or their effects. Mainly encouraging parents to talk to their kids about drugs and the attitudes of a few youths towards drugs.

As is usual for Today Tonight (in my opinion) the story actually had very little real content. Half of the story seemed to be exerts from the latest anti-drug ads. Eccitude was right; straight out of the anti drugs campaign press kit.

At least there was nothing incorrect or outrageous in the segment. For a change. :)

Yeah but how funny are these ads that go "drugs,U never know what it can do to you"....Ppppffff. I'm like "no no I do, & thats why i do it!!" ;)

people take drugs and don't end up as junkies. The average ecstasy user in NSW is of above-average socioeconomic standing. It's much easier to demonise drug users than to understand them as human beings. The risk you run with the latter is that you might actually start to empathise with them, or at least find yourself questioning the premises of the war on drugs... It's easy to throw heroin junkies in gaol, but much harder to do so for well-educated, productive young adults... When was the last time you saw an ad throwing a university student in gaol, claiming that serious steps have been made to eliminate the "scourge of society"

Ahhhh couldn't have put it better myself................................. No literally... :p hehehe. Yeah I hate the negative attitude that you take E and all of a sudden you've became a lost cause, never to return to normal self again. It's quite sad how easily the public Demonises something that they know nothing about nor experienced. I think the only way that would happen is for them to see for themselves... but hey, that wont happen... I hate it how easy it is for them to not listen but say so much, IMHO (not just about drugs)

Listening doesnt require as much effort as speaking. You know with all the muscles movements and all......:p

So easy to target a Minority...

SpecTBK=D