[AUS] Ecstasy research - EDRS (formerly PDI) 2005

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
NDARC requires respondents for their PDI surveys. If you take 'ecstasy' please do your best to participate.

NDARC_2.jpg

People who use 'E'

Researchers throughout Australia would like to talk to people who use ecstasy. Interviews take about an hour and are strictly confidential and anonymous. You will be reimbursed for your time and expenses. Please contact the researchers in your state or territory for further information or to make an appointment.

If you are in Adelaide:
Call Josephine on 8274 3308 at Drug and Alcohol Services SA.
We can negotiate a suitable location for the interview, convenient to both you and the interviewer. If you reach voicemail, please leave your first name and a contact number.

If you are in Canberra:
Contact the research team at the ANU by email ([email protected]) or phone/SMS 0417 609 357. Interviews will be conducted in a location convenient for you.

If you are in Darwin or Palmerston:
Contact the research team on 89992692 or call (or SMS) on 0401 110 378 or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted in a location convenient for you.

If you are in Perth:
Call Jessica on 9266 1610 at the National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University. If you reach voice mail please leave a name and contact number and someone will get back to you. Interviews will be conducted at a central location of convenience.

If you are in Queensland:
Call Shelley on 3365 5582 at the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Research and Education Centre (QADREC), University of Queensland. If you reach voice mail please leave a name and contact number and someone will get back to you. Interviews will be conducted at a central location of convenience.

If you are in Sydney:
Call Maria on 9385 0167 at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at the centre in Randwick or at a location convenient for you. If you reach voice mail leave a name and contact number and someone will get back to you.

If you are in Hobart:
Contact the research team at the University of Tasmania on 6226 7697 to
leave a name and contact number and someone will get back to you, or email [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted at a central location of convenience.

If you are in Melbourne:
Call Jenn (from Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre) on 8413 8417,
0413 355 890 or [email protected] . Interviews will be conducted in Fitzroy or at a location convenient for you. If you reach voice mail please leave a name and contact number.

ALL INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE WILL REMAIN CONFIDENTIAL

Last edited by a moderator:
awsome, i just hope this information will be used to encourage pill testing and safe use...
not discourage it's use.. and inforce tougher peniltys...

^^^ From my previous meetings with NDARC, I have had the impression they are generally for the 'harm minimisation' approach. I do however get the feeling that when they release their results their nuts are in a vice and the government takes their results and views them with a draconian/conservative bullshit outlook using the results to further back their crappy 'war on drugs'.

If I'm way off the mark feel free to set me straight. Especially Tronica, if you're out there :)

So is it safe?? U know, Its not like some kinda trap is it where cops are waiting for ya?? Sorry if that sounds stupid, Just being careful u know!! Has anyone out there ever participated?? :)

I have in previous survey's. The people are fantastic and really nice. I higly recommend participating, and hey, you get like $20-$30 for having a chat with some really cool people. Who's complaining?

This is totally confidential and you sign all the pieces of paper making it illegal for them to give out your info etc.

Go for it :)

Thanks paisley, I think I'll do it. I want to help. Hhhhmmm , What to spend my $30 on???? Lol ;)

Yeah, does anyone else find it ironic that generally you get paid $30 for doing the survey about taking ecstasy, and for that money you can buy yourself another pill :)

bRAVEheart

LOL!!!!
is one of the questions just before they give you the money, 'what would you spend you're last $30 on?'

The people at NDARC are very harm minimisation driven; it is after all, the only policy that has ever been shown to work! The PDI is now sadly funded by the National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund, which as you might assume has its own agenda. It is not a situation that is satisfactory with many of the NDARC people (as I understand it), but in the absence of any health funding, they had to turn to the Devil... so when you participate, please just be honest. NDLERF can put whatever spin they want on the data, but the data itself never lies...

The results may be used towards harm minimisation initiatives if the govt and researchers are keen to get involved.

Law enforcement agencies will also have access to the data as I believe that is how it is partially funded. As has been stated, the individual participants are safe.

[ Edit: thanks drplatypus. That clears things up. ]

Ahhh, Mea Culpa!
I have been rightly reprimanded by the lovely SA PDI representative.

I have been informed that, as of this year, NDLERF has been dropped (YaYYYY!) and that funding for the PDI is now entirely from federal Department of Health & Aging and related sources, which is excellent news.
It means that the data will be collated and managed in a way that has no external pressure from other agencies, as it should be.
In the current political climate, much kudos needs to be given to the NDARC people for wangling this, and the best way to repay them is to ring up and get in touch. I'll be doing my bit...and it'll cost you a Cibo's coffee, Jo!

(As an aside, this also goes to show that alot of people take alot of interest in the Bluelight community;) )

Stuart said:
awsome, i just hope this information will be used to encourage pill testing and safe use...
not discourage it's use.. and inforce tougher peniltys...

i think that's what the NDARC hope to see it used for, but in the end other groups are free to interpret the results in whatever way they like.

Haha yeah I love the study, the interviewers are always really friendly, and getting $30 to talk about the things I like!

drplatypus said:
I have been informed that, as of this year, NDLERF has been dropped (YaYYYY!) and that funding for the PDI is now entirely from federal Department of Health & Aging and related sources, which is excellent news.

Good news indeed! Maybe their website should be updated though:

The PDI is a national study funded by the National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund (NDLERF) and coordinated by NDARC to monitor ecstasy and related drugs (ERDs) markets in Australia.