• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What are your campus Myths/Legends/Traditions?

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
tower1.jpg

Back at the University of Florida, we had the Century Tower (shown above). Legend was, everytime a virgin graduated a brick would fall out...and so far we're missing no bricks ;).

- Should anyone be called infront of the head of their college, they have to wear a gown (even if its over normal clothes) to show respect to the person who is about to get very pissed off with them.
- We are not allowed to walk on the grass in courtyards, you have to walk around on the pavings. Only Fellows (lecturers) may walk on the grass.
- Going for a formal dinner (rather than just a cafeteria tray meal) requires a suit and gown to be put on (if you're male, smart skirt/dress and gown if female).
- All college security people have to call students Sir or Madam, and only be male, and wear bowler hats.
- Bedders (only allowed to be female and by the looks of it older than 40) come into your room late morning every weekday to tidy up a bit, empty your bin and once a week change the bed. If you don't want them to come in, you leave your bin outside your door. (We have college accomodation every year, we never go into private housing).
- Exams are called Tripos Exams "from the word for the three-legged stool used by the `Ould Bachilour' of the University who conducted the university examinations in medieval times." and anyone who gets a 1st in 3rd year is a "Wrangler" (with the top person being "Head Wrangler". Name a famous English mathematician since about 1500 and more often than not, he was a Top Wrangler).
- Up until some time in the 60s if a student left college grounds (to walk into town or to another college) he or she had to put on their gown, which made it very obvious to the people who lived in the city who the students were. Thankfully they've repeelled that rule now!

There are literally dozens more but become more and more specific to colleges and subjects.

- There's a story that Lord Byron kept a bear in his room when he was in university. Since he was admitted as a Nobleman, he could bend more rules. Wether its true or not I'm not quite sure.

- Students used to have to attend 5am Mass on certain days of the week back before 1900. When Maxwell (of Electromagnetism fame) was told this, his reply was "5am? I guess I can stay up that late".

I imagine the only other university with more traditions or crazy throwbacks to ye-olden-days is Oxford, since in 2009, Cambridge will celebrate its 800th birthday! Up until the late 60's only 2 colleges out of about 25 let in women!

That at one point many years ago there existed a professor.

Now this professor was unlike any other through out the land.

For he was able to speak english without any detectable accent, and possesed a great understanding of the material to be taught. The professor of legend was never late for class nor ever found to be unprepared to teach.

-If you walk over the seal at my school legend has it that you won't graduate in four years.

-We have a large metal statue of birds in flight. When a virgin graduates they will all fly away.

-I've been told that they put laxatives in our food so that if anybody gets food poisoning it all comes out quickly. Supposedly if you put a laxative allergy on your housing application you will be assigned to an apartment with a kitchen so that you can avoid this hazard.

All of that is for Boston University. As for UF, even though it's not so much a legend, it is really cool if you look down at the campus from an arial map. The buildings spell out UF. Ooooooooo.

-If you walk over the university seal in the student union, you'll fail your next test.

-A couple who kiss under the campanile (clock tower on central campus) at midnight will always get married.

That's all for Iowa State.

Rumor has it ... if you kiss your true love in the center of the X
xucampus.jpg

You'll marry that person and live happily ever after

Bah... I call bullshit

I think a popular myth about Rutgers is that it is the #1 STD school in the country... we need better myths.

We used to be a party school, top ten, now they cracked down and kicked all the frats out and it became a bar school. Not nearly the partying that it was in the early 90s from what I hear.

franklin and marshall college
theres a statue of ben franklin in the quad that freshmen are supposed to piss on when walking home drunk from partying.
before you graduate, you're also supposed to have sex somewhere in the library.

needless to say, i've participated in both traditions.

Originally posted by QLineHookups
I think a popular myth about Rutgers is that it is the #1 STD school in the country... we need better myths.

I've perpetuated that myth before. Sorry. =D

we dont really have to many myths and legends, but we do have some of the most colorful and flat out bizzare townies imagineable.

oh man i should find a good pic of goggleman. hes the best. the can men are cool too. theres also this one guy everyone calls dopey. and some huge lady they call front butt, ive never actually seen frontbutt in person but ive heard stories.

We wake up frosh at like 3 am one night in spring, and get them to go steal like a dozen trash cans (big ones) full of lemons from orchards so we can have a massive tequila party. A lot of the lemons get thrown around and batted at other dorms. That time of year, it smells like lemons for a week then smells like shit for a week or two after that as they start rotting. :p

we dont have many myths here in sydney universities, not that i know, our uni's arent that old to start with, maybe 1, which is sydney uni, but i wouldnt know,

My uni, Western Sydney, we go, we learn, we leave, thats about it.....

At the University of North Texas we have a mutant squirell running around loose. People wear t-shirts of him and make up tales about him. Also on our bell tower theres still a peace sign from the 60's, it was in response to the Vietnam war. Every 420 there is a rally around it.

Check out the squirrel here
http://orgs.unt.edu/asps/index1.htm

"Help name the albino squirrel! Send any name suggestions to
[email protected]"

LOL that damn albino squirrel. I can't help but laugh when I see people wearing those shirts.