Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Customs and the mail...

highflyer

Bluelighter
Customs and the mail... [Herald Sun Article]

I have seen posts about sending things in the mail, and just read this in the Herald Sun...

NEWS: [Herald Sun] - 30/03/2005 ' Steroids stashed in book'

Steroids stashed in book
Vera Devai
30mar05

AUSTRALIAN Customs officers found more than an interesting read when they intercepted a copy of the best-selling novel The Da Vinci Code sent from overseas.

The book, mailed from London to Sydney, contained 12 vials of performance-enhancing anabolic steroids.

Australian Customs Services spokesman Simon Latimer said yesterday the paperback had four sections cut out from the pages in which the vials were hidden.

Customs officers detected the illegal substance on February 23 and got a warrant to search a Sydney house.

Four more vials of anabolic steroids were found at the house during the March 11 raid, they said. A second package was intercepted on its way to the address and 18 more vials found.

Mr Latimer said a Sydney man would be charged with two counts of importing prohibited imports and one of possessing a prohibited import.

He was yet to be summonsed to court.

Each count has a maximum penalty of $110,000.

"There are some quite ingenious methods of concealment attempted by people," Mr Latimer said.

"I can't comment specifically how frequently it happens inside a book, but it's been done before.

"It just struck us somewhat ironic that it was done inside The Da Vinci Code."

Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code has been on the New York Times bestseller list since its release in April 2003.

It tells a tale of a conspiracy theory that a secret sect had left a code in several artworks that hold the truth about Jesus Christ.

Mr Latimer said all international mail coming into the country was assessed for potential risk and then investigated further if found to be suspicious.

He would not comment on why this particular parcel came to the attention of the authorities because he did not want to alert copycats.

Justice Minister Chris Ellison said the case served as a warning.

"This bust sends a strong reminder that Customs screens 100 per cent of all international mail arriving in Australia," he said.

Link to Article

that means that if I go overseas and mail some H or meth to somebody I hate they would get charged?

"This bust sends a strong reminder that Customs screens 100 per cent of all international mail arriving in Australia," he said.

hehehe thats a bit of lie - people send illegal stuff through the mail all the time.

Perhaps what he meant to say is custom is now screening 100% of every piece of mail containing The Da Vinci Code.

Drug smugglers beware, The Da Vinci Code is no longer a safe method for moving goods.

Looking at the news footage it's a wonder anyone involved thought they'd get through. Packaged with cotton wool!! Certainly very amateurish looking.

media images

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4556 (4 pics)

%5Cphotogallery%5C050329daVinci_01.jpg

nice cutting job though - i tried to cut holes into my bible like that when i was at school. Its not as easy as it looks....

Nice Tits

Yep, as I said, amateurish looking. There are ways to beat an X-ray device (don't ask) but that ain't one of them. Still beating such a device may not alone guarantee non-detection.

a friend told me that those blue bandaids the staff use at places like hungry jacks, woolworths etc, are undetected. but i dont know how much of it is true tho 8)

Sensational. I'll remember that the next time I need to smuggle a huge consignment of blue plasters over a border.