Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 17 Mar 05: Evidence clears drug girl: Lawyers

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Evidence clears drug girl: lawyers
Justin Norrie, Phil Cornford
March 17, 2005

Accused drug smuggler Schapelle Corby was the victim of "Australian drug trafficking" and there is new evidence to clear her of the charges, her lawyers said last night.

It is believed the lawyers are pinning their hopes on a statement from a prisoner in a Victorian jail purporting to clear Corby's name.

The 27-year-old Gold Coast beauty therapy student faces the death penalty if found guilty of the crime in a Bali court.

But Gold Coast businessman Ron Bakir, who has come to the aid of Corby, said a man had come forward signing an affidavit naming three baggage handlers responsible for planting the drugs.

"The drugs were put into her bag without her knowledge, were supposed to be pulled out in Sydney and they were missed," he said.

Instead, the 4.1 kilograms of cannabis travelled on to Bali, where it was discovered in Corby's bodyboard bag at Denpasar Airport last October.

Mr Bakir said the affidavit had been sent to the Australian Federal Police and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer yesterday.

He said the new evidence would confirm the existence of an Australian drug trafficking network operating within airports.

"A man whom we are not in a position to name has come forward and offered information by way of a sworn statement to the effect that he is aware of persons involved in domestic drug trafficking between Brisbane and Sydney," he said.

"Moreover, he is aware that these same persons, whom he has named, were responsible for planting 4.1 kilograms of marijuana into Schapelle Corby's Boogie board bag unbeknownst to her.

"The figurehead of this domestic drug trafficking ring is currently incarcerated for drug matters."

Speaking on behalf of Corby's legal team, Mr Bakir said he had obtained a statement that cleared her of all charges.

It is believed the statement is from a prisoner in jail in Victoria who says he overheard a conversation between two drug traffickers. He claims the traffickers said that "someone f---ed up" and that the drugs had been put in either the wrong bag or on the wrong flight. The drugs were supposed to have been picked up by an airport or airline employee in Sydney.

Mr Bakir said that over the past two or three months the source and associates had been trying to make contact with federal police, to no avail, and had telephone recordings to prove their attempts.

A spokeswoman for the federal police last night denied anyone had tried to contact the organisation with information exonerating Corby.

Full: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/16/1110913665902.html

SMH version: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/03/16/1110913667652.html?from=top5

BigTrancer :)

Knew something like this would happen, i wonder if the Indonesian Authorities will take this seriously or as a joke because it might be just a setup....

Something to think about

i knew she couldnt have been silly enough to try and smugle that much weed to a country where it would probably be worth less. hope she doesnt get executed for nothing 8o

exactly ever since i first heard about this i knew it didn't seem right, who in there right mind would smuggle weed into indo.

He said the new evidence would confirm the existence of an Australian drug trafficking network operating within airports.

No! Gee, I'm sure that couldn't be right 8)

I doubt there'd be an airport in the world where baggage handling wouldn't present an irresistible temptation for some, and a powerful blackmailing lever for others.

If the affidavit is the truth, then everything should be fine and dandy then... Just get that poor girl home regardless :|

conjecture and hersay, nothing firm and certaintly not enough to make the indonesians let her go.

i think it may have made her case even harder to sell to the government/feds. As if they're going to take the word of a Gold Coast businessman who has for no apparent motive except for common humanity has leapted up to save her.

it doesn't sound kosher to me

Yeah well.

This girls family obviously can't afford to bribe the Indonesian politicians, so they bribe a prisoner... fantastic.

AFP crushes hopes on Corby evidence
By Roberta Mancuso, Nikki Todd and Marian Carroll in Denpasar
17mar05

FRESH evidence which lawyers claim may clear Schapelle Corby of drug smuggling charges in Bali was described by Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty today as "hearsay" with no direct link to her case.

Evidence emerged yesterday that the 27-year-old Gold Coast beauty therapy student was unknowingly used as a courier by organised interstate drug smugglers, after a man came forward and signed an affidavit naming three baggage handlers as those who had planted the drugs.

Ms Corby faces the death penalty under Indonesian laws after authorities found 4.1kg of cannabis in her boogie board bag at Bali's Denpasar Airport last October.

Meanwhile Ms Corby today clutched her sister's hand and said "Oh my God" when told of the evidence.

She was told only this morning about a crucial affidavit, obtained by her Australian lawyers and unveiled yesterday, implicating others in her case.

She learned of the statement today as she waited in a holding cell at the Denpasar District Court ahead of her next trial appearance.

Ms Corby looked delighted but said little as her sister Mercedes reached through the bars and, amid tears, broke the news.

Her lawyers yesterday revealed an unidentified man had come forward and signed a statement naming three baggage handlers he says planted the drugs in Ms Corby's unlocked boogie board bag.

Chief lawyer Lely Sri Rahaya Lubis said the three baggage handlers had since been jailed in Australia, while the man who made the statement was also in prison.

She said she would request a one-week adjournment today and would present the affidavit to the court's three judges next week.

"I told her that the people who put the marijuana in her bag are already arrested in Australia (for other crimes)," Ms Lely said.

"Now the police are still doing their investigations to bring the necessary things to help her get out of jail.

"She is happy with that and hopes it will come through."

But Ms Lely admitted it would be difficult to bring the man to Bali to testify, as he was a prisoner in Australia.

"That now depends on the Australian authorities," she said.

Mr Keelty said the AFP was interviewing the man, whom he said was a prisoner, but his statement had contained no direct evidence to Ms Corby's case.

"It does mention Corby, but only in the sense that the prisoner made the conclusion that it was connected to the Corby case and overheard other prisoners talking about the Corby case," Mr Keelty said.

"It's at best hearsay evidence."

Mr Keelty also hit out at the decision by supporters of Ms Corby to publicise what he said were "spurious allegations", saying it could be counter productive.

The less said about the publicly, the better, he said, adding: "To actually parade all these spurious allegations ... in the Australian media can be doing Schapelle Corby no good whatsoever."

Lawyers for Ms Corby have claimed the drugs were planted on the student as a part of a smuggling operation between Brisbane and Sydney airports.

The union representing airport baggage handlers, the Transport Workers Union, has called for an urgent investigation into the claims.

Mr Keelty said it was highly unusual that drugs which were meant to be transported interstate would end up overseas.

But Corby supporters, Gold Coast businessman Ron Bakir, who is financing her legal team, and Indonesian lawyer Vasu Rasiah rejected Mr Keelty's comments the statement lacked credibility.

Mr Bakir said the Australian Government had a duty to investigate the claims.

"Mr Keelty can say say whatever he likes, the fact of the matter is there is a girl in jail who could be executed," he said at a news conference in Brisbane.

"They need to take this matter very, very seriously. At this stage, the Australian Government has done nothing to ensure her safety.

"It is important for the Australian Government and the AFP to investigate this matter."

Mr Rasiah said the AFP had ignored repeated requests to investigate aspects of the case that occurred inside Australia, despite the Bali court bending over backwards to allow such evidence to be heard.

"The judges ... have gone an extra mile to open doors so that they can release the girl, but Australia has gone 10 miles behind to avoid doing that," Mr Rasiah said.

"I can't understand that."

Mr Rasiah further appealed for Australians to put pressure on Prime Minister John Howard and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer to act on the matter.

Mr Keelty said it was not the role of the AFP to provide support to lawyers defending jailed Australians across the world.

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12574907^661,00.html

Hopes go up. Hopes go down. I think they need some peace and quiet!

"It does mention Corby, but only in the sense that the prisoner made the conclusion that it was connected to the Corby case and overheard other prisoners talking about the Corby case," Mr Keelty said.

"It's at best hearsay evidence."

Yet if some dick calls the stupid terrorist hotline and complains about someone LOOKING 'suspicious' the authorities won't wait a second to go and harass citizens to make sure that any 'potential threats are thoroughly investigated' (ie don't miss an opportunity to score political points).

Nick Keelty is a knob for being so dismissive of the evidence...especially at such an early stage. Why shut down a potential avenue of salvation for someone facing death? At least be a little bit less blunt until you've had the time and chance to investigate shit properly....

Even if she is guilty, AFP owes her one, she was taking drugs OUT of the country after all ;)

extra baggage

seriously guys, i think that this kind of shit has been happening for ages.

its a scary thought too !

i mean baggage handelers, sure they see a bodyboard bag Extremly obvious bag to find stash the drugs in it, ring your counterpart in other country.... " hey we put that shit in a ripcurl bodyboard bag, yea its red'n'blue, yea flight bla bla bla" you get the picture

it would be easier than trafficing drugs by other means...

so moral of story: dont take an unusual bag that would stick out ! ha ha yea thats just parionoid

but im off to bali soonz, might leave the board home, or LOCK MY BAGS UP

anyways Y export weed to indo, Y traffic drugs ?

anywayz PEAK HARD & ROLL ON !

Dont think they let you lock your bags up anymore... they have to be able to search them at anytime.

Even if she is guilty, AFP owes her one, she was taking drugs OUT of the country after all

THAT is gold =D

Think about what would hapen if an indonesian came over here and got caught smuggling 4 kilos of illegal drugs?

I'd imagine some jail time (how much im not sure), but it definately wouldn't be execution. I can't understand how anyone could think it is justified to end someones life just because they had a substance on them.

Especially when you can blow 200+ people up and only get 3 years!

Must say, I do feel sorry for this chick, I mean seriously, could anyone be that blindingly stupid as to try and smuggle 4kgs of pot in a body board bag??

And that's the only reason I don't think she did it...no one could possibily be that stupid...

Could they?

^ I likened it to someone trying to import cigars into cuba. What would be the point when Sumatra pot is some of the best in the world? :\

this actually broke on JJJ a couple of weeks ago. guy anonymously rang up saying he knew baggage handlers who did this often. guess him or someone like him went to cops. props for having a conscience

Out of interest, what happened to the post I made in this thread? Any reason it was deleted?

Yeah same! ^^
Oh I guess mine may have been offensive to people who are part of or believe in the indonesian justice system.

I removed posts and responses to posts from this thread which contained either flames or racist remarks. Whatever points there are to be made about this issue can be made in a civil and thoughtful manner, I think. Some flippant or careless comments created a point of divergence which was poised to both drag this thread right off topic, and create a flame war.

If you have a point to make, keep it on-topic and give evidence to support it. Furthermore, responding to flames with flames gets all the posts deleted...

PS: To be sensible, in future please PM a moderator to ask where your posts went, instead of posting more off-topic stuff in the thread...

I want to bump this because its extremely interesting (and so very sad). I'll say from the outset she is completely innocent. One thing that has been burning through my mind for the past few days (even weeks) is: who the hell is this Ron Bakir guy.

From what I've researched he isn't related to Corby, isn't her friend and doesn't know her. Yet his been willing fork over hundreds of thousand of dollars to "help save this women".

I've come to three possibilities on why his doing this:

1. He wants his ten seconds of fame. Wants the media spotlight so he can change his image from a dodgy salesman.

2. He knew about the drugs, maybe their his. Maybe he wanted the pot sent from Bris to Syd and well it completely backfired because the baggage handler fucked up. Perhaps he feels guilty about it and thus is willing to put the cash up. Hell his trying to get a $1 million dollar reward to motivate someone to come forth with conclusive evidence she was framed. Why on this earth would someone give away that much money just to save a single person?

I believe this one to be most likely because it fits so perfectly. Ronny pissed of the baggage handler fucked up is prepared to blame them for the fuck up. His pissed cause his lost the pot and perhaps feels guilty she got blamed for it. He can't expose the people who really did it so he scouts a jail for someone prepared to make a statement (step in John Ford, just about to go on trial for a pretty fucked up crime). Blame some criminal underlord for it (or hersay) and you've got an albi. Funny enough I suspect the reason why it come up so late in the trial was because Ron hadn't realised that under Indo law you have to present a compelling case in that if you didn't do crime X then who did and how did they do it.

3. He is just a great guy and wants to do something extremely good (maybe he fucked up and this is his redemption). Perhaps I'm too cynical but I figure this is extremely unlikely.

What is really getting to me is everyone is just sitting their thinking its completely normal that some Gold Coast business man (that alone makes him sound dodgy as fuck) is forking huge amounts of money to save some girl. Fuck if he wanted to do something good in his life, certainly get value for money, he could of donated that money to some south African charity and feed and educated an entire village of doomed people for several decades.

On another note I think Ronny has truly fucked her chances. My wife is from a very similar country and for all the stories I hear (and read) corruption in the judiciary is extremely common (it’s a poor country and people do what they have to do to survive). Ronny should have kept the media away from the Balinese court. He should have paid the media to fuck off. He should have used that money to pay the fucking judge off. She would have gotten away with a lesser charge, maybe a year or two in jail. A bit of pressure on the Australia government, she would have been extradited to the relative comfort of an Australian minimum security jail - early parole. Instead his blurted to Alan Jones of all people (one of the biggest racists in the country) that the prosecution approached them for a bribe. Seriously if you want to piss someone off who is asking for a bribe the best way is to blurt it to the world. That poor girl will get 10 years (they won't give her the death sentence).

However my anger is completely at the Australian government who have failed to press the indonesians on practically anything. I suspect they liberals thought she was guilty and thus washed their hands of it. Maybe Ronny tainted it in that they thought she was one of his mules/cronies. I figure the only reason their moving to do something (albeit fucking slowly) is that its becoming obvious to even a fucking boulder that she didn't do it.

sorry for long post....