PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressant high?

Immortal
16-03-2005, 20:49
Can you get high on some sort of antidepressant pills? 2 of my friends told me they took 20+ of some antidepressant pills each and they got high. They said it felt something between high of E and high of speed (powder meth). I'm not planning doing that kind of shit, but I'm interesting is this through?

jdude3
16-03-2005, 20:54
No. Antidepressants are not recreational. Taking 20+ doses of any common antidepressant drug like prozac, wellbutrin (not an SSRI)... etc. would make you sick as hell and could kill you. Your friends are full of shit. It is idiot advice/stories like this that put people into hospitals and morgues. sheesh.

Could have been adderall, but this is NOT considered an antidepressant drug.

K'dOUTinAZ
16-03-2005, 21:40
Antidepressants will not get you high, you'll feel like shit with all of those fucking side effects. I'd imagine that you would wish you were dead. Don't take antidepressants to get off.

herownwrite
18-03-2005, 04:39
Yeah, I never really understood why kids take antidepressants to try and get high. They might make you sick and sleepy, but i think that's about it... :P

ChronicPyro
18-03-2005, 16:19
Some people think benzos are antidepressants mabye thats what they are. But 20+ pills of anything sounds like a huge dose.

Spiritus
18-03-2005, 19:21
I will save you the time here. Yes you can feel high off them, and I am not going to fight people about this. I was taking paxil for months and when I increased my dose I got a tempary seratonin high. It's not recreational obviously.

But I tried anyways. Paxil made me highly suicidal and gave me absoloutly insane mood swings and I did not get high.

And I intelligently increased the dose by just a bit, I didn't even just pop pills back.

glenn420
18-03-2005, 20:01
To get "high" from SSRIs you have to take the regular dose for 2-5 weeks. Of course if you are happy to begin with, or if that specific one doesn't work for you, you won't notice anything amazing.
And the side effects can be quite unpleasant at times.

jdude3
18-03-2005, 21:21
Anyone that thinks the feelings you get from SSRI's or other antidepressants are some kind of "high" must have a VERY different concept of the term "high" than I do.

sonic
18-03-2005, 21:28
^ Yeah, getting high is supposed to be about feeling good. Taking large doses of an SSRI will "fuck you up", but it won't make you feel that great.

glenn420
18-03-2005, 22:38
^^^ But for someone like me who is suffering from depression and goes to the doctor. I was given celexa which is an SSRI, it's been 5 weeks and now I feel happy for the first time in months.
It feels like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I know that anti-depressants simply treat the symptoms and don't cure depression. That's why I consider it a high, without the pills I would probably find myself back at square one. It's not a recreational thing.

chokingvictim
18-03-2005, 23:13
It's definitely stupid (like others said) to take more than the recommended dose of antidepressants. The way some of them are prescribed, is when someone starts on 10mg/day (for example) usually they're told to cut the pill in half for about a week so the stomach can get used to it. Otherwise you'll just start throwing up and getting really sick from it. Something to do with the receptors in the stomach being sensitive and not being able to handle the pill at first.

Also, I do know about getting a mild "high" from antidepressants the first day I took Wellbutrin about 4 yrs ago. But calling it a "high" just doesn't sound right. Basically that first day, then again about a week later, I got a huge mood lift and felt really happy, talkative, and energetic. But it didn't last the whole day, and wasn't anything similar to a body buzz or anything like what I felt from cannabis, lsd, opiates, etc etc. It was just a mood lift, and I got really happy. That's all. It would be really dumb to assume that taking 20 of that dose would have made me 20 times as happy though. It just doesn't work that way. So sorry.

sonic
18-03-2005, 23:54
Originally posted by glenn420
^^^ But for someone like me who is suffering from depression and goes to the doctor. I was given celexa which is an SSRI, it's been 5 weeks and now I feel happy for the first time in months.
It feels like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I know that anti-depressants simply treat the symptoms and don't cure depression. That's why I consider it a high, without the pills I would probably find myself back at square one. It's not a recreational thing.

I too have been prescribed anti-depressants on and off over the years. I tried taking each one for a full 4-8 weeks and I didn't find one that worked for me. I tried zoloft, paxil, and celexa. The nasty side effects seemed to outweigh the benefits. The side effects included sexual dysfunction, visual disturbances, loss of equilibrium, mood swings, etc. I don't remember which drug caused which side effect. All I know is that I vowed never to touch another SSRI again.

I'm that celexa works well for you. Out of all the ones I tried celexa was the one I hated the least.

herownwrite
21-03-2005, 05:45
i wish anti-depressants could help me out. i'm really not sure how much more of this depression i can take. i was prescribed to zoloft for a while and zyprexa too, but they didnt do shit and i still thought about killing myself all the time. right now i'm pretty much at the level where recreational drugs give me the feeling good high, but goddamn it all feels so hopeless sometimes. that's why i avoid the dark side board on this site- just depresses me more.

VelocideX
21-03-2005, 15:28
s0nic -- have you investigated other classes of antidepressants? The ones you mention are all SSRIs. Moclobemide (Aurorix) is quite effective, though not available in the US. What about mirtazapine/remeron? Reboxetine (a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor)?

K'dOUTinAZ
21-03-2005, 20:04
Antidepressants don't really make you happy, in fact they tend to make the mood of people who don't suffer from depression much worse. SSRI antidepressants only help you deal with the symptoms of depression, they don't work as euphorants.

sonic
21-03-2005, 20:59
Originally posted by VelocideX
s0nic -- have you investigated other classes of antidepressants? The ones you mention are all SSRIs. Moclobemide (Aurorix) is quite effective, though not available in the US. What about mirtazapine/remeron? Reboxetine (a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor)?

Nah, I don't really suffer from depression anymore. I think most of my depression problems were caused by past relationship problems and chronic use of marijuana. Once I dealt with those issues my quality of life has increased quite a bit. I still have bad days, but so doesn't everyone. I think I'm better off without medication.

I still have anxiety attacks sometimes, but I've found the best way to deal with them is an occasional benzo.

guineaPig
21-03-2005, 21:17
i tried to up my dose on zoloft once by like quadrupling it....i DID get kinda fucked up...but it was about the worst kinda buzz i've ever felt in my life...dirtier than drahmamine or DXM even....

Motox786
09-06-2005, 10:13
I have read articles about extremely high doses of Bupropion (Wellbutrin) to be recreational. However, at this high of dose, the likelyhood of getting a seizure is pretty good, so it is a very bad idea... But it is supposedly similar to cocaine or amphetamines at high doses.

Anthrax
09-06-2005, 17:03
One of my friends mom takes effexor "Venlafaxinhydroclorid",
sometimes she overdo them and she gets all speed up like
she was on amphetamine ...

stropharia
09-06-2005, 17:40
I find that moclobemide (within the usual dose range) produces a sensation of well-being and energy, and makes colours seem brighter. If that's not a high then I'm not sure what is.

center
10-06-2005, 20:00
Ive heard of dumb schoolgirls snorting Zoloft before. Talk about desperate, get some real drugs ^^.

Leg
11-06-2005, 11:19
I get a high from taking a normal dose of Lexapro. Maybe I am just more sensitive to all drugs than most people, this could very well be true...

But yea, it's a...light high feeling...15mg is a nice dose...(that's one and a half pills of the stuff I had)...I get hallucinations in the dark, before I go to sleep, from the stuff...similar to hallucinations that I had on DXM the one time I did it...

*shrug* I'm not sure what exactly it feels like...not really like any other drug I can think of...Maybe a little like tripping, physically, but without the mental energy aspect of it. Like, you feel electricity through your body, kinda, I feel like yawning on it sometimes, and my jaw feels electric...in a weak way, tho...I dunno, if I took a higher dose, I'm sure I'd feel more.

I'm special tho, I can probably get high off an apple if I paid attention to it that way ;) Getting "high" is all mindset.

Kandy K
11-06-2005, 11:51
When I was 15 I took 10 welbutrin.

It reminded me of the first time I ever overdosed on meth.

But much much worse.

fastandbulbous
11-06-2005, 14:44
Taking 20+ doses of any common antidepressant drug like prozac, wellbutrin (not an SSRI)... etc. would make you sick as hell and could kill you.

I know tolerance is the by-word in BDD, but that is INCREDIBLY FUCKIN' STUPID. If they had been tricyclic antidepressants, you'd have been attending 2 funerals in the near future (tricyclics are very toxic if you take 2-3 x the max prescribed dose. 20 x is a way to die really horribly. Even if they save you, you come out of it with cardiac damage and possible brain damage).

stropharia
13-06-2005, 16:03
It seems a little strange to be talking about 'antidepressant' highs, when there are so many different antidepressants acting in so many different ways and with so many different safety considerations.

Motox786
14-06-2005, 00:05
My point is Wellbutrin is a Dopamine reuptake inhibitor, just like cocaine...
SSRI's are serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Too much serotonin can cause major problems and make you very sick... But It's pretty hard to get serotonin syndrome from too much dopamine 8)

Wellbutrin is the only antidepressant that i would reccomend taking more than theraputic doses of. The only risk of doing this is seizures...

I have never taken wellbutrin other than prescribed, but this is what i have heard from many people.

If your stupid enough to want to get high off antidepressants, you really have a problem.

Motox786
14-06-2005, 00:17
Alright. i found this on the leaflet that came with my prescription of Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin)... If it comes with the actual precription, I think it's gotta be true. Wouldn't it be illegal to lie on a FDA approved medicine like this???

In a population of individuals experienced with drugs of abuse, a single dose of 400 mg of BUPROPION HCL produced mild amphetamine-like activity as compared to placebo on the Morphine-Benzedrine Subscale of the Addiction Research Center Inventories (ARCI) and a score intermediate between placebo and amphetamine on the Liking Scale of the ARCI. These scales measure general feelings of euphoria and drug desirability. Findings in clinical trials, however, are not known to predict the abuse potential of drugs reliably. Nonetheless, evidence from single-dose studies does suggest that the recommended daily dosage of bupropion when administered in divided doses is not likely to be especially reinforcing to amphetamine or stimulant abusers. However, higher doses, which could not be tested because of the risk of seizure, might be modestly attractive to those who abuse stimulant drugs.

The last line says it all.

Tryptamine*Dreamer
14-06-2005, 10:08
Tricyclic antidepressants will get you really fucked up if you take enough. It is not fun though. It is kind of like dramamine or datura. You may do a lot of stupid shit and not remember it.

I did this maybe a dozen times when I was 16-17 years old. It is not something I will do again.

When I was 14 I tried to kill myself by taking a whole bunch of amitriptyline and doxepin. After it wore off my family told me about the fucked up things I said and did.

The doctors at the hospital and my family thought that I was just trying to get high.

caleb hunter
14-06-2005, 11:17
I had this guy tell me he took upwards of 12 avanza(mirtazapine by organon)to get a high,i told him he was an idiot and to stop doing it before he fry`s his brain...

Salviamind
15-06-2005, 22:50
YES U CAN GET HI OFF AD'S

some like venlafaxine u are totally fucked for days when u start - feel mashed /speedy/ jaw clench / stoned /sedated etc at the medical doses - not the best hi in da world but u r seriously fucked.

As to get hi in the norml sense o the word - yes again!!! I have heard of lots of peopil doing this - u take a normal dose like twice a day as ur doctor would tellu 4 for a few weeks (this is how long it take 2 get the AD effect) then u stop & u r on a good buzz for a week or 2(if u have side effects they go whenu stop as well) - sorta mild e-like euphoria. But don't drop shit loads in one go like the folks above - thays stupid/dangerous

K'dOUTinAZ
16-06-2005, 03:30
...says the village idiot who can't spell

Salviamind
16-06-2005, 16:48
they asked a question they got a answer - dont c wat the fuck my spelling got 2 do with it - cleverclogz can spell good -didnt no the answer & posted anyway - som folk take ADs to get hi like it or not

Jewfolife16
16-06-2005, 19:51
Wellbutrin makes my girlfriend really hyper, as it has stimulant qualities to it. And the few times I took Zoloft to try and get recreational affects, when I was in the dark I got INTENSE visuals. Like everything shifts and grows and shrinks and multiplys, quite odd, but I couldn't sleep at all.

purple_butterfly
13-02-2007, 05:25
It seems a little strange to be talking about 'antidepressant' highs, when there are so many different antidepressants acting in so many different ways and with so many different safety considerations.

When I was younger I snorted wellbutrin after reading a positive trip report, and it did provide a strange cocaine like high that i could get off on, but more psycadelic. However, one night I snorted too much and my whole body ached for days, and my sinuses are permanently damaged. I do not recommend snorting pills, or even getting high on them if theyr are anti depressants. Wellbutrin is the only "anti depressant" to provide me anything close to a "high"-p.b

Valium
13-02-2007, 17:39
this is fun.

you know what's even better though? low doses of rat poison..

EricPaul
17-02-2007, 04:16
this is fun.

you know what's even better though? low doses of rat poison..
lmao. yeah, i heard you can snort it and get a "high". 8(

EricPaul
17-02-2007, 04:20
antidepressants can kill you. even one pill can do it.

Serotonin Syndrome

The Serotonin Syndrome is a hyperserotonergic state which is a very dangerous and a potentially fatal side effect of serotonergic enhancing drugs which can have multiple psychiatric and non-psychiatric symptoms. This is a toxic condition which requires heightened clinical awareness in order to prevent, recognize, and treat the condition promptly. Promptness is vital because, as we just mentioned, the serotonin syndrome can be fatal and death from this side effect can come very rapidly. This syndrome is a toxic hyperserotonergic state whose rate of incidence is unknown, but is on the rise. This disorder, brought on by excessive levels of serotonin, is difficult to distinguish from the neuroleptic malignant syndrome because the symptoms are so similar. The neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a serious condition brought on by the use of the neuroleptic drugs.
Source: Prozac: Panacea or Pandora? by Dr Ann Blake Tracy http://members.aol.com/atracyphd/syndrome.htm

The Serotonin Syndrome is a potentially lethal condition caused by excessive serotonergic activity and is diagnosed by the presence of at least 3 of 10 symptoms: mental status changes (confusion, hypomania), agitation, myoclonus, hyperreflexia, diaphoresis, shivering, tremor, diarrhea, incoordination, and fever.
Source: Journal of Clinical Psychiatry

Symptoms: euphoria, drowsiness, sustained rapid eye movement, overreaction of the reflexes, rapid muscle contraction and relaxation in the ankle causing abnormal movements of the foot, clumsiness, restlessness, feeling drunk and dizzy, muscle contraction and relaxation in the jaw, sweating, intoxication, muscle twitching, rigidity, high body temperature, mental status changes were frequent (including confusion and hypomania - a "happy drunk" state), shivering, diarrhea, loss of consciousness and death.
Source: American Journal of Psychiatry, June 1991 "The Serotonin Syndrome"

A recent study (25 sept, 2004) shows us clearly that serotonin toxicity (such as the Serotonin Syndrome) can even appear rapidly in a few hours after taking a single therapeutic dose of SSRI medication. In Bio-Psychiatry it is a common thought that SSRI's are believed to have their effect by inhibiting the re-uptake of serotonin (downregulation of transporters) and thereby gradually increasing serotonin outside the tissue cell wall (extracellular) in the synaptic gap between brain cells (neurons) in the brain. In this important study, Zoloft (Lustral, sertraline) was given to monkeys for 4 weeks to establish how long it would take before Zoloft would have it's effect on serotonergic neurons and thus elevation of serotonin. In contrast with the commonly accepted SSRI theory, it was observed that serotonin levels raised NOT gradually, but rapidly and dramatically and kept on raising during these 4 weeks, an effect that can NOT be ascribed solely to a "re-uptake inhibition" of serotonin.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/serotonin-syndrome-ADF.htm