Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Plants that are legal in Oz

2C-R2D2

Bluelighter
Cannabis is essentially illegal, as is Salvia ... are there are any plants with psychoactive properties that can still be legally grown here in Oz?

my friend has got a peyote cactus. i duno where she bought it from thou.. im not sure if they r legal or not either, lol sorry.

I was assuming that San Pedro and Peyote would both be illegal in Oz, is that not the case? I'd love to grow cactus if they're legal. I adore cactii - you hardly ever need to water them. :D
But I read that with at least one of them (Peyote i think) it takes 5 years before you can use it for 'medicinal' purposes?

Unfortunately the Law pages for San Pedro and Peyote at Erowid don't mention Australia

[Edit] Wow, i just found a .com.au site that sells San Pedro AND Peyote, as both seeds and 100mm/150mm babies. I still have no idea if they're legal to grow/buy, but it'd be very surprising to have a .com.au selling something like this if it was illegal !

Last edited:
Yeah my current impression is that it seems to be legal to grow, as long as it is not grown/intended for consumption. So, "completely legal" is probably not quite right :)

This .com.au website have their nursery based in Lismore NSW, and they sell: Australian, Aquatics, Fragrant, Edibles, Grasses, Herbs, Cactus, Trees, Vines, Rainforest, and Seeds. I can't mention the website address obviously but there are enough clues in this post for savvy Google-hunters.

The cactii they have on offer ...

[EDIT: No prices!! p_d]

Its interesting that the grown pachanoi San Pedro is the cheapest - i thought that was the best San Pedro variety in terms of psychoactivity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mescaline containing cactii are legal to grow in Australia but not to eat, and your surroundings can influence your situation. For example there was a case where marijuana cultivators were raided and had peyote growing so they were charged with that too. This would be completely different if a cactii collector had peyote growing.

My mate literally has thousands and thousands of cacti...

Peyote too... However it's mainly to say.. I've got it.. see the thing is... Peyote takes forever to grow... so to just like eat it like takes away years an years of growth!

SpecTBK=D

Yeah cactus is a great type of plant, and i mean all of them, not just the psychoactive ones. Theyre so unique and interesting looking, none of them seem to require much water, most of them seem to be easy to grow and maintain (to the point where people treat them more as ornaments than plants), the larger prickly ones can be strategically placed around your home to provide protection against would-be burglars, and some even provide you with rewards of mescaline ... they've got all the characteristics of a quality blokes plant as far as im concerned. :) (ok ok so you can't make a cricket bat out of them, but 9 out of 10 isnt bad!). And just try and imagine a cowboys and indians movie scene without them ... it just wouldnt be right!

I just read that San Pedro has wonderful 9" night-blooming flowers, in season. Niiice. I know there's also some plants that have brilliant big flowers that only open on full moons or once a year or something like that, i might have to get me some of those too ...

Supposedly smoking dried wormwood plant material can bring on a state similar to THC intoxication. I cant vouch for this, I just read it somewhere. But I know for a fact that wormwood is legal, you can buy it at the markets here where I live, which is suprising because wormwood is used to make absinthe.

Mugwort is my favourite herb

But be careful with using wormwoods internally. Making a tea from, or smoking plant material from can be dangerous and has been known to cause convulsions and worse.

My suggestion is too place mugwort (artemisia vulgaris) in your pillow....then go to sleep and hang on!! ;)

More on Mugwort here and on Absinthe here

2C-R2D2 said:
Cannabis is essentially illegal, as is Salvia ... are there are any plants with psychoactive properties that can still be legally grown here in Oz?

Salvia is a whole family of plants, over 900 different types. They are not illegal to grow in Australia only salvia divinorum.

Salvia is the species that the herb sage comes from.

Pineapple sage is another salvia that can be smoked recreationally. It gives a mild euphoria and the smoke tastes really nice :) (like pineapple)

You can make wormwood "hash" and it makes you really stoned, its stronger then weed.

I understand that khat (catha edulis) is legal to grow (except in ACT). And if you come from a country where it is traditionally used you can get a permit to import it for personal use. Anyway I think khat is one plant worth growing if you are patient enough to wait for it to mature. The feeling you get from chewing the new leaves(when in season) is a kind of pleasant euphoria.

thanks phase dancer, i hadnt previously heard of mugwort. The things described in that thread sound slightly similar to how my dreams were affected when i was using nicotine patches. makes me wonder........

Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) hasn't been mentioned....I think it's just recently (start of 2005) been scheduled though....so that's illegal...maybe

There was a herbal nursery in Sydney that sold the plant as a small seedling that I ordered from late, very late, last year.

It's a pretty strong drug too from what I've read...Heroine users use it for withdrawels. It's has a very opiate like buzz about it. Smoked or made into tea, I recommend this to everyone, if it's legal that is....

Kratom is certainly illegal---I really don't understand the scheduling policy of the Australian government....Kratom and Salvia illegal...stupid.
I have heard of "salvia heads",but i believe they are in the minority.i don't believe i've heard any negative(addiction aside)negative press about Kratom from the countries it's traditionally used in.
Kratom sucks IMO anyway,then again i don't believe it was the highest quality.

Oh,It was definately 'mitragyna speciosa'...not the "analogue" plant in circulation a couple of years ago.

aloowishus said:
Kratom is certainly illegal---I really don't understand the scheduling policy of the Australian government....Kratom and Salvia illegal...stupid.
I have heard of "salvia heads",but i believe they are in the minority.i don't believe i've heard any negative(addiction aside)negative press about Kratom from the countries it's traditionally used in.
Kratom sucks IMO anyway,then again i don't believe it was the highest quality.
how did you take your Kratom?
Smoke? Make a tea? Chew Leaves? What?

I recently tried some kratom in a tea I only had a low dose ie under 2g but I did feel a definite buzz and I think it seems like something worth experimenting with at higher doses.

just a suggestion, would it possible to merge alot of these legal/natural high threads into a Australian Legal/Natural Highs Mega Thread?