PDA

View Full Version : Plants that are legal in Oz

2C-R2D2
28-02-2005, 12:25
Cannabis is essentially illegal, as is Salvia ... are there are any plants with psychoactive properties that can still be legally grown here in Oz?

TheYellowDart
28-02-2005, 12:42
There sure are. Many cacti from the Trichocereus genus, including Trichocereus Pachanoi (San Pedro) and Trichocereus Peruvianus (Peruvian Torch) contain Mescaline.

Erowid Cacti Vault (http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/)

Many plants contain DMT and/or 5MeO-DMT, including Acacia's (Wattle) and grasses such as Phalaris Aquatica (Canary Grass).

Erowid Acacia Vault (http://www.erowid.org/plants/acacia/)
Erowid Phalaris Vault (http://www.erowid.org/plants/phalaris/phalaris.shtml)

hdang
28-02-2005, 12:43
my friend has got a peyote cactus. i duno where she bought it from thou.. im not sure if they r legal or not either, lol sorry.

2C-R2D2
28-02-2005, 12:45
I was assuming that San Pedro and Peyote would both be illegal in Oz, is that not the case? I'd love to grow cactus if they're legal. I adore cactii - you hardly ever need to water them. :D
But I read that with at least one of them (Peyote i think) it takes 5 years before you can use it for 'medicinal' purposes?

Unfortunately the Law pages for San Pedro and Peyote at Erowid don't mention Australia

[Edit] Wow, i just found a .com.au site that sells San Pedro AND Peyote, as both seeds and 100mm/150mm babies. I still have no idea if they're legal to grow/buy, but it'd be very surprising to have a .com.au selling something like this if it was illegal !

2C-R2D2
28-02-2005, 14:12
Yeah my current impression is that it seems to be legal to grow, as long as it is not grown/intended for consumption. So, "completely legal" is probably not quite right :)

This .com.au website have their nursery based in Lismore NSW, and they sell: Australian, Aquatics, Fragrant, Edibles, Grasses, Herbs, Cactus, Trees, Vines, Rainforest, and Seeds. I can't mention the website address obviously but there are enough clues in this post for savvy Google-hunters.

The cactii they have on offer ...

[EDIT: No prices!! p_d]

Its interesting that the grown pachanoi San Pedro is the cheapest - i thought that was the best San Pedro variety in terms of psychoactivity?

Cowboy Mac
28-02-2005, 14:23
Mescaline containing cactii are legal to grow in Australia but not to eat, and your surroundings can influence your situation. For example there was a case where marijuana cultivators were raided and had peyote growing so they were charged with that too. This would be completely different if a cactii collector had peyote growing.

Special-T.B.K
28-02-2005, 14:26
My mate literally has thousands and thousands of cacti...

Peyote too... However it's mainly to say.. I've got it.. see the thing is... Peyote takes forever to grow... so to just like eat it like takes away years an years of growth!

SpecTBK=D

2C-R2D2
28-02-2005, 15:02
Yeah cactus is a great type of plant, and i mean all of them, not just the psychoactive ones. Theyre so unique and interesting looking, none of them seem to require much water, most of them seem to be easy to grow and maintain (to the point where people treat them more as ornaments than plants), the larger prickly ones can be strategically placed around your home to provide protection against would-be burglars, and some even provide you with rewards of mescaline ... they've got all the characteristics of a quality blokes plant as far as im concerned. :) (ok ok so you can't make a cricket bat out of them, but 9 out of 10 isnt bad!). And just try and imagine a cowboys and indians movie scene without them ... it just wouldnt be right!

I just read that San Pedro has wonderful 9" night-blooming flowers, in season. Niiice. I know there's also some plants that have brilliant big flowers that only open on full moons or once a year or something like that, i might have to get me some of those too ...

JoeBloggs
03-03-2005, 14:54
Supposedly smoking dried wormwood plant material can bring on a state similar to THC intoxication. I cant vouch for this, I just read it somewhere. But I know for a fact that wormwood is legal, you can buy it at the markets here where I live, which is suprising because wormwood is used to make absinthe.

phase_dancer
03-03-2005, 19:56
But be careful with using wormwoods internally. Making a tea from, or smoking plant material from can be dangerous and has been known to cause convulsions and worse.

My suggestion is too place mugwort (artemisia vulgaris) in your pillow....then go to sleep and hang on!! ;)

More on Mugwort here (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?postid=583048#post583048) and on Absinthe here (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75916&highlight=artemisia)

BZP TFMPP
03-03-2005, 21:31
Originally posted by 2C-R2D2
Cannabis is essentially illegal, as is Salvia ... are there are any plants with psychoactive properties that can still be legally grown here in Oz?

Salvia is a whole family of plants, over 900 different types. They are not illegal to grow in Australia only salvia divinorum.

Salvia is the species that the herb sage comes from.

Pineapple sage is another salvia that can be smoked recreationally. It gives a mild euphoria and the smoke tastes really nice :) (like pineapple)

BZP TFMPP
03-03-2005, 21:33
You can make wormwood "hash" and it makes you really stoned, its stronger then weed.

justsayknow
04-03-2005, 03:03
I understand that khat (catha edulis) is legal to grow (except in ACT). And if you come from a country where it is traditionally used you can get a permit to import it for personal use. Anyway I think khat is one plant worth growing if you are patient enough to wait for it to mature. The feeling you get from chewing the new leaves(when in season) is a kind of pleasant euphoria.

JoeBloggs
04-03-2005, 10:51
thanks phase dancer, i hadnt previously heard of mugwort. The things described in that thread sound slightly similar to how my dreams were affected when i was using nicotine patches. makes me wonder........

xcidium
04-03-2005, 11:12
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) hasn't been mentioned....I think it's just recently (start of 2005) been scheduled though....so that's illegal...maybe

There was a herbal nursery in Sydney that sold the plant as a small seedling that I ordered from late, very late, last year.

It's a pretty strong drug too from what I've read...Heroine users use it for withdrawels. It's has a very opiate like buzz about it. Smoked or made into tea, I recommend this to everyone, if it's legal that is....

aloowishus
06-03-2005, 14:05
Kratom is certainly illegal---I really don't understand the scheduling policy of the Australian government....Kratom and Salvia illegal...stupid.
I have heard of "salvia heads",but i believe they are in the minority.i don't believe i've heard any negative(addiction aside)negative press about Kratom from the countries it's traditionally used in.
Kratom sucks IMO anyway,then again i don't believe it was the highest quality.

aloowishus
06-03-2005, 14:08
Oh,It was definately 'mitragyna speciosa'...not the "analogue" plant in circulation a couple of years ago.

xcidium
08-03-2005, 07:59
Originally posted by aloowishus
Kratom is certainly illegal---I really don't understand the scheduling policy of the Australian government....Kratom and Salvia illegal...stupid.
I have heard of "salvia heads",but i believe they are in the minority.i don't believe i've heard any negative(addiction aside)negative press about Kratom from the countries it's traditionally used in.
Kratom sucks IMO anyway,then again i don't believe it was the highest quality.
how did you take your Kratom?
Smoke? Make a tea? Chew Leaves? What?

justsayknow
09-03-2005, 03:35
I recently tried some kratom in a tea I only had a low dose ie under 2g but I did feel a definite buzz and I think it seems like something worth experimenting with at higher doses.

yeahdude
11-03-2005, 04:54
just a suggestion, would it possible to merge alot of these legal/natural high threads into a Australian Legal/Natural Highs Mega Thread?

aloowishus
11-03-2005, 07:23
Xcidium,all three methods were used....just poor quality methinks.

xcidium
11-03-2005, 08:28
aloowishus: did you have leaves as a whole (ie: from a plant) or an extract of some description?
Mate of mine can get leaves.

aloowishus
12-03-2005, 13:22
I had fairly fresh leaves,I have a bit of extract that i'll try in the next week or two.
The tea i made showed promise,so i'm looking forward to some more adventures:)
Check your PM:)

xcidium
14-03-2005, 07:21
Originally posted by aloowishus
I had fairly fresh leaves,I have a bit of extract that i'll try in the next week or two.
The tea i made showed promise,so i'm looking forward to some more adventures:)
Check your PM:)
i haven't had the tea, but i've heard thats the way to go. I've only smoked it, which was nice too.

Clean out your PM's, its full! I can't reply!

juicehead
15-03-2005, 16:27
well if you want legal way to get fucked up there are many ways to accomplish this task, im not gona go on about mescaline cause there is already stuff about this, more then likely cause It is the best one of the lot.. However.. Number one... the good old banana.. all you have to do it peal off this white stringy shite of the side of banana dry it out on the roof or something then roll a joint.. i have never tried this myself however i have herd many of stories from old trippers and shit apparently it is the same smokin pot but a little different... another is nutmeg... ohh the arwsome loving taste of nutmeg.. this one i have tried and it was fuckin rad.. go to erowid and they have how to make it and everything on there.. it is not hard at all, all you need it a stove a pot and a strainer .. However remember if you are going to do this use whole nutmeg.. not the powder shit in a shaker... it wont work.. Nutmeg can be brought from almost any major food store.. woolys, iga, bi-lo ect ect .. this usually cost about 70cents for 3 nuts (around 30g) .. if you have a weak stomach I would recommend mixing honey or lemon or something with it to dilute the horrid taste.. however in the end it will still tastes like balls… oh yeah get bent before you drink it (while mixing it up/boilin it) it will make it better.. and i say do this while in the process of making cause it you let it cool to much it will turn bad… you will know this because a yellowish crust like thing will form around the top .. if this happens DO NOT DRINK IT THROW IT AWAY!!! Anyway just look up erowid and read all the shit about it there if you decide to do it don’t just read what I have wrote and go do it cause there is a bit more to it I have prob missed… :) happy tripin :)

PS: for all you elites... sorry about the spelling.. yes i no this is a problem, however it is not one that i am going to fix

BigTrancer
15-03-2005, 23:44
^
i have never tried this myself however i have herd many of stories from old trippers and shit apparently it is the same smokin pot but a little different...You might want to check your facts as well before passing them on - the banana thing is a drug-newbie myth. Nutmeg actually does work, producing some drug effects, but the banana thing is 100% fiction.

BigTrancer :)

pill_jockey
16-03-2005, 00:29
Hey juicehead you can also make LSD out of Fosters Beer ;)

How to make LSD using Fosters Beer (http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/humor/humor_joke5.shtml)

phase_dancer
16-03-2005, 01:16
#
THE BROOMS
Bean family (Leguminosae)

There is some confusion as to which is the most potent of the three species of brooms used for their psychotropic effects. According to the paper first reporting the discovery of the effects of these plants, the blossoms of Canary Island broom were the "most pleasant and effective" of the three. This is also the species used by Yaqui shamans. Some herbals claim that Spanish broom tops are five times as strong as Scotch broom, while other sources claim that the alkaloid content of the Scotch broom is higher than that of the other two. To clarify (or confuse) the issue, it has been found that alkaloid content varies with environment.

Canary Island Broom (Cytisus canariensis L., formerly Genista canariensis). A much-branched shrub to 6 feet tall with hairy branches, covered with bright green leaves divided into three leaflets. This is the only broom of the three that keeps its leaves through the year. It flowers from May to July, and is covered with many bright yellow blossoms in short racemes. It is damaged at 15 degrees Fahrenheit but it recovers quickly. Native to the Canary Islands.

Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius L.). A shrub to 10 feet with many erect, slender, almost leafless branches. The flowers are yellow, 0.75 inch long, and bloom from March to June. Native to central and southern Europe; naturalized in California and found sparingly in the East.

Spanish Broom (Spartium junceum L.). A shrub to 10 feet high with slender green branches and bearing a few small leaves. The flowers are yellow, 1 inch long, and fragrant, followed by 4 inch long pods. Blooms from June to September in most of the US. In California it flowers most of the year. Native to the Mediterranean region.

Cultivation and Propagation: The brooms need a well-drained soil and full sun. They often naturalize on dry, rocky slopes in the west. Scotch and Spanish broom are hardy everywhere except in the most northern states, while Canary Island broom is hardy only in the west and south. All are very drought-resistant.

Brooms are easily propagated by seeds, cuttings, and layers. Seeds may be started as early as January. They should be nicked and soaked until swollen before sowing. Seedlings should be transplanted carefully when young; they transplant well when older. Plants grown from seed will flower 1 year from sowing. Cuttings should be young growth taken with a heel in early spring or August and September. They should be rooted in sandy soil. When grown as a pot or tub plant, they should be pruned after flowering. They should be left outdoors from early spring until light frost in the fall. Brooms are subject to attack by the genista worm in southern California. These are difficult to control except with DDT.

Harvesting: Broom plants grown in full sun have a higher alkaloid content than those grown in the shade. The flowers should be gathered, aged in a sealed jar for 10 days, and dried at a low heat. The aging greatly reduces the harshness of the smoke. The active flowering tops may be gathered in May and dried without aging. Any material from pruning may also be used.

# Additional information about the brooms may be found under the Cytisus and Spartium plant sections at the SDIZ.

From here (http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Plants/growing.html#THEBROOMS)

We got into broom in the late seventies in NZ as it grew on just about every roadside. It may have been all in the mind, but I was sure I did get a mild hit a few times. But the taste and the headaches tended to make this one of the least favourable legals.