• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Imipramine similar to amphetamines?

nagash

Bluelighter
Hi,

has anyone noticed any similarity between some of the actions of imipramine and amphetamine? For me, imipramine causes quite pleasant shivers throughout the body, a little sweaty hands, tachycardia and quite apparent penis shrinkage.
It is, or used to be, prescribed for ADD, too.

As far as I know, it is thought to be a non-selective HT, DA and NA reuptake inhibitor so it would possibly fit.

Not really, except that they act on the same neurotransmitters; other than that, they don't have much in common at all.

Imipramine is an uptake inhibitor, not an amphetamine.... If it's anything like most other Tricyclic antidepressants, it's going to be NA selective, ten times less potent at 5-HT, and ten times less potent again at Dopamine transporters.

As someone with a prescription for a TCA, I can only say that the subtances have a substantial sedative effect. Other contraindictions of their use are well known.

That's because of there anti-histamine nature... like diphenhydramine.

Not all TCA'a are sedative; I get lofepramine for SAD, and it is in no way sedative. I also know someone who used to get protriptyline, and he thought it was great, as it had a mild stimulant effect. If you've been prescribed dothepin, you have my condolences, as that is a real sedative TCA - it turned me into a zombie

No, I'm prescribed Imipramine (Anafranil). There's a bunch of other TCAs available, but I think I like imipramine. It gives me virtually no side effects (except for rare dizzy spells and heat rushes). It's funny how I prefer imipramine and mianserin, as they're viewed as the most shitty antidepressants.

However, I've had very bad experiences with Aurorix (moclobemide), Efectin/Effexor (venlafaxine) and Seroxat/Paxil (paroxetine) ranging from psychotic reactions to persistent extrapyramidal effects.

I am also aware that TCAs are unrelated to amphetamines, but their mechanism of action is not well established. Hence me wondering about a possible similarity.