PDA

View Full Version : Imipramine similar to amphetamines?

nagash
24-02-2005, 15:06
Hi,

has anyone noticed any similarity between some of the actions of imipramine and amphetamine? For me, imipramine causes quite pleasant shivers throughout the body, a little sweaty hands, tachycardia and quite apparent penis shrinkage.
It is, or used to be, prescribed for ADD, too.

As far as I know, it is thought to be a non-selective HT, DA and NA reuptake inhibitor so it would possibly fit.

fastandbulbous
24-02-2005, 21:29
Not really, except that they act on the same neurotransmitters; other than that, they don't have much in common at all.

BilZ0r
24-02-2005, 22:59
Imipramine is an uptake inhibitor, not an amphetamine.... If it's anything like most other Tricyclic antidepressants, it's going to be NA selective, ten times less potent at 5-HT, and ten times less potent again at Dopamine transporters.

Belisarius
28-02-2005, 03:24
As someone with a prescription for a TCA, I can only say that the subtances have a substantial sedative effect. Other contraindictions of their use are well known.

BilZ0r
28-02-2005, 11:27
That's because of there anti-histamine nature... like diphenhydramine.

fastandbulbous
28-02-2005, 13:49
Not all TCA'a are sedative; I get lofepramine for SAD, and it is in no way sedative. I also know someone who used to get protriptyline, and he thought it was great, as it had a mild stimulant effect. If you've been prescribed dothepin, you have my condolences, as that is a real sedative TCA - it turned me into a zombie

nagash
01-03-2005, 22:49
No, I'm prescribed Imipramine (Anafranil). There's a bunch of other TCAs available, but I think I like imipramine. It gives me virtually no side effects (except for rare dizzy spells and heat rushes). It's funny how I prefer imipramine and mianserin, as they're viewed as the most shitty antidepressants.

However, I've had very bad experiences with Aurorix (moclobemide), Efectin/Effexor (venlafaxine) and Seroxat/Paxil (paroxetine) ranging from psychotic reactions to persistent extrapyramidal effects.

I am also aware that TCAs are unrelated to amphetamines, but their mechanism of action is not well established. Hence me wondering about a possible similarity.

C6H6
02-03-2005, 01:38
Originally posted by nagash
No, I'm prescribed Imipramine (Anafranil).
Anafranil = Clomipramine
Imipramine = Tofranil